Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
amoani

Default Husband about to start Suboxone - HELP!

This is a repost from the friends and family board because there doesn't seem to be too much activity on that board.

Hi,
My husband confessed to me on Thursday night that he has been using Norcos off and on for the last year, almost daily for the last few months. He also told his mother because she suffers from chronic pain and it was her Norcos that he was stealing.

We looked into rehab but the costs were just too outrageous with what our insurance covers. The rehab center recommended finding a doctor that could prescribe Suboxone on an out patient basis to save money. (Not the desired method, their doctor prefers inpatient treatment).

We found a doctor that would prescribe it as an outpatient, he received 10-8 mg pills that he is to start tomorrow and a prescription for 60-8 mg pills to be filled. The doctor recommended 1 in the morning and 1 in the late afternoon. Now we need to look into some sort of counseling/support groups to work on what caused the drug use to start in the beginning.

My questions:
1) Is this too high of a dose? My husband says he takes between 8-15 10 mg Norcos almost daily.

2) What are the side effects with xanax? He was an anxious person before any of this started, has a xanax and wants to hold onto it just in case he gets "panicky."

3) Any other words of advice? Should he try to taper down quickly so that he doesn't become addicted to the sub? The doctor talked about a 6 month timeframe.

4) The doctor is going to check on him tomorrow, is there anything we should ask the doctor?

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated. I know his mother isn't there to make me feel better about any of this, but she has let me know that she really isn't going to help us out of this mess and cannot really offer any help in this situation.

Thanks!
amoani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, I posted on the other forum.
Again, welcome!
Nancy
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp..._ID=3394#48950
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
RemissionRocks

amoani,

1) Is this too high of a dose? My husband says he takes between 8-15 10 mg Norcos almost daily.

the dose of suboxone people take varies person to person. the first few months i took 24mgs a day of suboxone. it really all depends on how the person reacts to the medication. i'd suggest they take the least amount possible, enough to control cravings and withdrawal symptoms. he should not have to suffer.

2) What are the side effects with xanax? He was an anxious person before any of this started, has a xanax and wants to hold onto it just in case he gets "panicky."

xanax is supposedly a no no with suboxone. i guess it can be potentially fatal. personally i dont see it as a big deal, but his doctor should be aware of his underlying anxiety disorder. it could be a trigger for him to use. good mental health is a good thing for recovery.

3) Any other words of advice? Should he try to taper down quickly so that he doesn't become addicted to the sub? The doctor talked about a 6 month timeframe.

my doc is fentanyl. i went to treatment in 2004 and was detoxed off it with subutex (its pretty similar to suboxone). within 3 weeks i was off everything. i feel that if i would have been on maintenance i could have learned more tools of recovery and i would not have relapsed.

the second time around... dec 2005 i went to treatment again. i went on methadone for 3 months it was terrible. i swtiched to suboxone in march of 06. i had no idea waht i was getting myself into. i didnt think i was going to be stuck on this stuff for over a year. i figured 6 months maybe 9 months tops. i have discovered that for me, it is much harder to taper off of this stuff the longer you stay on it.

words of advice, he should take the least amount possible. keep him comfortable. make a plan of what he wants to do early on.

4) The doctor is going to check on him tomorrow, is there anything we should ask the doctor?

ask the doctor how many patients he has. if he prefers maintenance, or tapering early on. there are medications he can give your husband to help with the anxiety that arent addictive. xanax can be addictive...lots of suboxone doctors dont like to give that to people...they use it as a last resort.

I do wish you the best of luck. I am glad that you have found this forum. I think if you are well educated on suboxone, not just your doctor, but the patient and family as well, that the treatment will be much better.

I'd ask for a referral into a therapist or a psychiatrist to treat the anxiety. usually people abuse medications to mask underlying problems, like depression or anxiety, i know i did at least. im a big fan of AA and NA. 90 meetings in 90 days is a good idea, so is getting a sponsor. you could also learn more about addiction by attending alanon meetings. they are meetings for family members of the loved ones who are afflicted by the disease of addiction.

Best Regards,
John
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Lynn

Thank goodness your husband made his "confession." I had the same drug of choice. I've been on suboxone for 5 months; the beauty is since I started, it was IMMEDIATE relief. Except for having to be in mild withdrawls to start, I worked as a wonder drug for me. By the end of the day, I had absolutely no cravings for my hydros, and no withdrawal symptoms. I have a GREAT doctor and this has been a life saver for me. My insurance covers most of the medication and I just pay a co-pay for office visits which are once a month. If your insurance covers this, that makes a big difference.

p.s. - many, many people, and I'm one, were "pill stealers" I used to "browse" through people's medicine cabinets as one way to "score" my meds. And I'm a middle aged wife, work in the medical field, have a nice home, great job, a daughter going to medical school, one still in high school, president of a local nonprofit organization, just your average "upstanding community member," but who also succommed to addiction to opiates, without having a PHYSICAL NEED for them. Go figure! Just to point out this affects all walks of life, all ages, all demographics. But like so many here, I've got the disease of addiction, but as I've read over and over and over on this forum, my addiction is in "remission."
Good luck!
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
elvis

you are heading in the right direction of fixing the problem congratulations!

my only adise as a husband myself is be careful you dont switch your role into becoming a mother figure.

he needs to do this on his own, your walking a tight rope between supporting him and giving him space. in my personel experience it was always better when my wife gave me space

good luck
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
bdog

amoani
I transferred from methadone to suboxone so I don't know much about the dose range pertaining to norcos.What I do know is that your husband has made a very wise choice.Suboxone saved my life,I was close to losing my marriage,friends,job and much more. A lot of addicts get there drugs from family,friends,etc.. without permission.Thats the addictive nature for a lot of us.GOT TO HAVE IT! .As time goes by the guilt part will leave,and both of you will start living the life style you've always wanted. It takes work.He needs to add another support system to his recovery besides you and the buprenorphine.There are a lot of good programs out there for people in recovery.Hopefully he will find one suited for him. Take time with this process and things will work out.Glad to have you on board...
Peace...Bdog
bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
fidola13

I WOULD SUGGETS COUNSELING AND some kind of peer support 12 step type program such as AA or NA as well. Good luck- sara
fidola13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
flier1

Amoani
I agree with Elvis give him space to do this, but be there for him when he asks, My hubby at the beginning was into my recovery way to much, even though I appreciated it so much I needed to do this for me and had to come to terms with that, I needed to find out that I had to do this on my own and not for him, but now we are so much better it was 5 months April 30 and when I need him I ask for his help and now I am doing this for me, Sub has saved my life and the people on this forum has been a godsend, they are there for me any time I need advice and I take it all to heart. I had a friend who actually staged a break in to get her meds and of course I think we have all helped ourselves to other peoples meds without them knowing it but that was our nature, but I am so glad that he confessed to you, that was a biggie on his part and you should be so proud of him for that, I wish you both the best and please keep us updated, and also like Sara said get him into a good recovery, for the Suboxeon is a medicine but it is also a tool to help us get our lives back together .

Best Wishes

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote