Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
gimmekymmie

Default newbie starting sub on Thursday needs advice

Hi everyone, what a cool, helpful board! Just want to introduce myself as know I will be back here before too much longer with lots of questions.
I've been reading like crazy and getting as familiar as I can with all the info on here because I am scheduled for my first sub appointment on the 21st. I'm skeered as hell, to be frank.
I am a hydro addict. I usually take 40-45 10/325's a day. I go into withdrawal after four hours of non-use... right now, it's 12:30, I took my last pills at 8:30 and I've got the runny nose, the yawns, the creepy skin and the aching. So, saying that, does anyone have an opinion on how much sub I should be given to start out at? Also, how long should I be in withdrawal before I take my first dose? Thought maybe someone on here with a "comparable" habit could tell me what worked for them...?
My appt. with the sub doctor is on Thursday and I'm very nervous. I do NOT want to go through withdrawal, so i want to make sure the dr. gives me a high enough dose. I was told I do not have to be in withdrawal when I go in, that he writes the script for me to get myself.... if this is the case, then how does he know how much I need?
any answers would be appreciated.
I need to do this or I'm going to die... I'm very aware of that. so I'm determined to do it. i just want to go in armed with every bit of knowledge i can get.
Thanks in advance for any help.
gimmekymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
OpioidsGotMe

Hi Kymmie,

I had about the same habit as you did. I was at about 30-35 10/500 a day. You Do have to be in moderate withdrawal before you take the sub or you will have "precipitated withdrawal" when you take it. I had to wait about 20 hours after my last hydro. You will be uncomfortable at first but you will feel a lot better after you start taking the sub. You may not have to wait that long. I'm sure you doctor will let you know. Each doctor is different about induction, most will start you in their office and give you a small amount and watch you and give you more until you start to feel some relief. I'm taking 16mg a day of sub. The amount you end up taking each day will be up to how your body responds to sub.

Darrin
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gimmekymmie and welcome, Here's something from our FAQ section that you should read. It's about Precipitated Withdrawal and how to avoid it. The times given for abstinence before your first dose of buprenorphine are just guidelines - you know best when about your WDs. Also at the bottom of that FAQ is a link to the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS), that might help you. The best way to really guage your WDs is by your pupils, (make sure you check them in regular, not bright, light) the larger they are, the further in WDs you are. Sometimes anxiety may show up in similar symptoms as WDs, that's why pupil dilation is a good way to tell.

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#70

Perhaps you can call the doctor's office today and ask more about Thursday. Think about asking if it's possible that you can stay in the office for your induction. Even if it's in his waiting room, if it will alleviate your anxiety about Thursday.

I hope this helps. Keep asking questions.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Brett

Welcome gimmie,

YES YOU DO HAVE TO BE IN WITHDRAWL BEFORE YOU START SUB!!!
Now with that said just relax, you will be fine, My doctor started me on my first dose at 4mg, by the time I left his office (4 hours later) I had taken a total of 20mg. I would wait a minimun of 12 hours from your last dose of hydro to be safe. Get ready for a new life, free from addiction, let us know how it goes.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
jascade

Hi gimmekymmie and welcome.
I understand your fear of withdrawal. I too would begin withdrawal symptoms within hours of my last dose. As the others have said, you must be in mild to moderate withdrawal before you begin. I was foolish and went 24 hours and was in agony. You don't need to go through that.Just follow the advice from Nancy and others and you will be fine. I guess the best part about my being in such agony was that it felt all that much better when I started!!!
Keep coming back here and you will find great support and helpful advice from the people here.
Best of luck on thur. and congratulations for making the choice to get off the pills.
Susan
jascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
gimmekymmie

I want to be totally honest. i don't think i can stand even 12 hours. At six, i am SICK sick. I wake up every four hours at night, in wd's, and have to take pills to fall back asleep.This is my fear. i read all about precipitated withdrawal and I of course want to avoid that, but honestly... 12 hours? i wouldn't even be able to drive and this doctor is not only in a different state, i have to drive three hours to get there.
it was his office who told me not to bother to be in withdrawal because he won't give it to me there. I wish i could take it there, but apparently that is not how he does it. Obviously from the long drive, i don't have any other options, this is the nearest doctor and the only one I found after months of looking who had an opening.
very nervous. hate withdrawal. i know, who likes it... but ugh. TWELVE hours? i can't see it.
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
jascade

gimmekymmie,
If they said not to bother to be in withdrawal when you get there then do what they tell you and you won't have to drive all that way not feeling well. They will explain everything when you get there such as how much and when to take it. At least you will be able to go into withdrawal in the comfort of your own home. You really do have to make sure you are in withdrawal when you start or you will get really sick. I understand your being nervous but honestly it will be ok. Once you start, all the hell you are going thru with the hydro will be OVER. It will be a whole new way of life for you.
Take care,
Susan
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #8
steffaroni

HI Heres what my doctor did. I had a huge habit too so can relate. Here goes. The day b4 I went in I took 4 5 mg hydro's(i know baby stuff but thats all I could get my hands on). I took them at 1 pm the day prior. I took 2 tylenol pms at 8 pm when I was in withdrawal and hit the hay. The next day I went in at 8am they inducted me after they gave me the cows test.The first 4mg he gave me I just felt a teent weeny bit better, the second 4 mg I felt like a new person.Everyone else who was inducted with me was fine on 2 plus 2 more. Then I went up to 24mg by the 3rd day. I was on 24 the first week and almost till the end of the 2nd week. Then they tapered me to 16 then 8 then nada in 4 weeks. So far so good. Not great but good. One thing I have noticed with this detox is that even though I am off everything I am not getting the skin crawling YUCK crud also not getting the leggies. When Ihave been in withdrawal b4 sub, the leggies and this electrical shock weird stuff that shot out my fingers from my arms and down my legs and out my toes would make me BING NUTTY. So far none of that. PHEW GL It'll be fine a little withdrawal is good I would be in as much withdrawal as I could stand. remember not to take any lomg acting opioids like ms contin etc b4 u ask ur doctor cause they will take longer than normal pain pills GL ((HUGS)) STEFF
steffaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #9
leesie

If you think your w/d's will be bad after only 12 hours, if you don't wait the suggested time, you will go into precipitated w/d's and would be worse off than if you waited. YOU MUST WAIT!! You have to go thru a little time of discomfort b4 receiving comfort from the sub. Once you get the sub in your system and get the dosage figured out, you will feel so much better! Trust us, we have your best interest at heart and want to see you succeed. All of us had to go thru this and most of us have been successful and feel great now (not all of us, but a good majority of us). I only waited 12 hours, I was on 50 Norco a day also, started out with 4 mg., waited for 1/2, took another 4 mgs., and so forth. All this was done at the doctor's office as well. I am presently on 16 mg.

Please keep us posted. We care about you and want to help.

My best to you,

Leesie
leesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:11 AM   #10
julie1129

Hey Gimme...I'm so glad you made it here!!! God, I wish I would have been as smart as you to actually do research before I started......I don't know if you read my first post here (Julie1129 Topic: Just Started Today....Went Into Instant Withdrawal!!).......Oh, yeah......what a nightmare.......You DO NOT have to go through what I went through......just listen to what people are telling you, okay......relax and take it slow.......I had a pretty similar habit as you....40 hydro 10/500s a day.......my first day I started out with 24 mgs......but I'm not really counting that first day as the "real" first day because I f**ked things up so bad.....the next day I was at 20 mgs.....had a vicious headache felt like crap...but not withdrawal crap, just being new on Sub crap......so I went down to 16 mgs the next day......and just kept going down each day until I hit 8 mgs a couple of days later......I found that I was just taking too much Sub at first which was making me feel lousy......so I finally stabilized at 8 mgs, which is working wonders for me.......

Keep doing what you're doing and read as many of these posts as you can, and ask as many questions as you want......the people on this board are wonderful....they don't care what you ask or how many times you ask it or if it's a dumb question or a brilliant question....just ask......everybody's going to walk you through this step by step......

I'm so excited one more of "us" has found their way here.....You don't have to do pills anymore!!! Can you imagine that??? I know I couldn't even comprehend that thought 21 days ago!!! And let me tell you, in this short time, my life has improved dramatically.........you are NOT going to believe this........

So welcome again, Gimmekymmie, and good luck on the 21st.....get ready to start your new life!!!

Julie
julie1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #11
cscally

Ditto to the above and you can do it! I was also petrified of the time I had to wait before I could take my first sub and never in a million years did I think I could wait but I did it. I was coming off methadone with a few days of hydro in between to make the transition easier. Like Steffaroni, I went to bed early around 9 and also took something to help me sleep. Every few hours I would take another simply sleep (over the counter sleep aid) as I was trying to sleep through the withdrawal. When I couldn't sleep anymore, I would get into a steaming hot tub and soak which is what really helped me the most. I also posted on here and got support. My problem was watching that godforsaken clock so I think that 3 hour drive might just be good for you. That is 3 hours that your mind will be occupied with something else and you can look forward to getting relief once you reach your destination. My doc did tell me when I thought I couldn't take one second longer - to wait longer. I laughed but in my addict brain the fear sometimes is much worse than the withdrawal itself he told me. I waited a total of 13 hours and what a relief with just the first 2 mg. The next 2mg I actually felt normal. Everyone here had to go through the withdrawal first, so you are not alone. You can do this!! Good luck and let us know how you are doing! c
cscally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
leesie

Gimme,

I don't think it's a good idea for you to be driving while in w/d's, at least I wouldn't be able to. If I understood your post correctly, the doctor said not to be in w/d, is that correct? I'm assuming he realizes it wouldn't be safe for you to drive 3 hours being in w/d, so I'm thinking he's probably going to have you take the sub at home, at least I hope that's his plan.

Please let us know what happens at your appointment as soon as you can. I'll be thinking about you!

Leesie
leesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Mary

Hey gimmiekymmie, Your doctor said you don't have to be in WD for the appointment, then don't because it's looking like he's gonna give you a script with directions on how to do it. So you want to be safe driving, especially on such a long roadtrip there.

Go through that COWS thing that Nancy mentioned. Like she said, everything there written about times is a guide. But don't mix up nervousness with WDs. I waited 24 hours (I was snorting H) because I was paranoid as hell, plus I didn't know about this place way back then. lol

Chill for now, get the script, get the instructions and then let's go from there, ok?
Big energy beams coming your way! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gimmiekymmie, Are you all set for tomorrow? Have any more questions?
Let us know how it goes and when you're set to start.
Drive safely.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #15
FreeAtLast

Gimmie- I also was addicted to 10/325. Took up to 40 per day. My doc started me out at 24 mg. per day. 3 8 mg. tablets. They work for me great. There is supposedly a ceiling effect on bupe. Supposedly the max that will work in 24 mg. I did read a post where someone started out on 32 though. I definitely think you need to be on 24mg. per day just based on my results. Good luck to you. I went into WD's at home with the sub for when I needed it. I took my last dose at 8:30 AM and went to about 4AM the next day. About 20 hours. I was pretty miserable by that point. My doctor also presribed me XANAX for while I was going through withdrawals. They helped a lot. I hope to hear from you soon. Mary
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #16
snipes

Gimmie.....

Try your best to hold up for as long as possible. You dont want to force yourself into bad withdrawals if ya take it too early. So make sure your feel very crappy.

When are you going in for your induction to suboxone? How are you doing now? I wish ya the best in this time...I know it can be stressful wondering and being scared of the unknown. We are here for ya....If you need anything or have any questions at ALL...We are here!

GOOD LUCK with your induction!

-T
snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #17
Lynn

Wow! Gimmie - I don't have much more to offer than the excellent stuff I've just read. I'm going on day 9 of Sub after years of hydro addiction. (I have felt only better since the very first time my Sub was put under my tongue - well, not immediate but pretty damn close to it!) I know everyone's different so I won't rehash anything already said here. I was definitely a "clock watcher" literally while I waited after I took my last pills of hydro before my appointment waiting the minimum amount of time my doctor told me I had to have gone without any hydros. The clock watching was AGONY for me, I think, more than the physiologic "stuff." I also used to do the "night" thing......I "countered" with taking Ambien and benzos which wasn't a good idea and I know risky to my mortality, but I did so anyways so I could get the minimum amount of sleep in order to function a full day
take care! And, what a better Christmas gift to yourself -- FREEDOM!!
Keep us all posted. We all care so much about each other.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
spar7an117

Good luck. The scale to test withdrawal, although subjective, is pretty accurate. If you have active withdrawal after only 6 hours, you will be within the limits to induce with Bupe. Some patients need a full 12 hours, and I would say 8 just to be safe. The literature states at least 6-8 hourse form last short term drug use (hydro, oxycodone, fent, etc).

Think positive and have someone drive you there and back. Much safer than having to pull over to, um, regurgitate on the curb. Hang in there.
spar7an117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
gimmekymmie

hello everyone
Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. My appointment is at one pm tomorrow and I plan to take my last dose of hydro tomorrow night and TRY to wait 12 hours until Friday morning to start the sub. I found the COWS thing very interesting and wanted to make sure that it was accurate...according to that, I am in mild withdrawal at four hours. I'm going to give it my best shot. Is it ok to take soma, or valium while you are in wd waiting to take the sub? I have some of both and I don't think i will sleep at all or even be able to rest otherwise. I know I will be vomiting by eight hours in wd... is that going to make a difference? probably not, because it melts under your tongue right?
Here goes nothing.... no wait, here goes everything.
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
jascade

Hang in there gimme you're almost there!!I don't want to tell you what to do but just a suggestion. If you take your last dose before leaving for the dr. or shortly after you may be able to take it late thur.night/early fri. morning. I just thought you might want to get it over with asap. We are all cheering you on. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Susan

I see you are a night owl like me!!
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #21
nicky

Hi Gimmie, WOW how great for you that you are going to have your life back!!! I too had the exact same addiction type and amount of pills. I started 43 days ago and it is wonderful. I took my last hydro at 5pm the day before my appt. which was at 10:30 in morn. So by the time I filled my script I took my first sub at noon. It took me a little bit to get stabilized, but it was bearable. I think it was more fear and anxiety the was getting the better of me, which the wonderful people here helped me realize. So once I got a handle on that it was clear sailing from there. You WILL be alright, and you WILL feel better!!!!!! You will be so amazed!!! Good Luck to you and let us know how your doing!!
Big Hugs to You
Nicky
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
FreeAtLast

Gimme- Yes you can take something for anxiety. I took Xanax - prescribed by my doc. It helped a lot. And I took a lot. I haven't taken any since though. Mary
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
julie1129

Gimme, I just want to wish you well today with your induction.......it sounds like you have all the info that you need to make this whole process go as smoothly as possible.....just try to relax, okay......the worst is going to be behind you in a matter of hours now, so you should be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel within no time......I'm so excited for you.....I can't wait for you to experience all that Sub has to offer.....it is truly amazing.......but just remember, the first couple of days is sort of an adjustment phase.....you might be going up or coming down in dose, depending on how your body reacts to it, but don't worry about that.....once you find the right dose for you, that's what you'll stick with......and just a little heads-up for you in case you go through the same thing as me....my first couple of days were a little overwhelming, trying to figure out what I was doing and how much to take, and I had so many questions.....so just remember, ask whatever you need to ask....don't feel embarrassed or weird.......we all know how that first day is.....

So hopefully if you're reading this now, you're probably already home and have taken your first dose......just do what the doctor said and you'll be just fine......I lived on this board 24/7 the first week I started....it helped me so much to have people that knew exactly what I was going through and could actually help me get through this whole thing.....

I hope the wd's are a distant memory now......the worst is over for you.....now comes the good part........I hope you can catch up on your rest today and take good care of yourself......I'm so happy for you that you made it here....I'll be thinking of you all day, so make sure to check in and let us all know how things are going......I wish I could give you a BIG HUG right now!!! Congratulations!! Talk to you later!

Julie
julie1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #24
Bassdad

Kymmie,

WELCOME to NAABT......Just here to see how your induction went today.How long had you been using that much hydro? I look forward to getting to know you.

Later,
Bassdad
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #25
Mary

Hey gimmekymmie, you really don't have to wait until your puking your brains out. Wait until your pupils are big. Everyone's got a different gig with their WDs. Some are quicker than others. Just make sure they're WDs and not anxiety. That's why the pupil gig is the way to go. Check in after you get back from the doctors if you feel like it. Energy beams coming to you! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #26
jascade

Hi gimme,
Thinking about you and hoping that your induction went well. Please post when you are up to it and let us know how you're doing.
Susan
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #27
gimmekymmie

Hello all,
The doctor did not put me on sub yet. It's kind of a long story, and I want to make it short because I have Job #1 to get to (job #2 is late at night, online, which is why I can usually post then). He put me on methadone, to wean me down to a lower level. He thinks the sub will work a lot better if I have gotten my levels down by tapering- Lord knows I can't taper on hydro so methadone is it, at least for the next week or so. It also will get me out of the all day long pill-gobbling that is a big habit of mine now. He also finds it more precise to dose the sub according to how much methadone it takes for you to stay out of wd's (too many variables with hydro- levels, tolerance, metabolism, etc)...it was a great visit, a great doctor- i absolutely loved the guy, he was so understanding and caring. I feel I can trust him. My mom, who is ironically, a drug counselor, came with me, and she liked him too, and feels good about his plan for me.
He prescribed 30 m of meth, with the option of taking more if it didn't work, but no more than 60 per day. I took my 1st dose last night when the wd's kicked in- took 30, it didn't work, so I took another and that worked. I feel fine this morning, optimistic, actually kind of happy and it's weird to say it feels weird to be happy.
So I see him next Wednesday- he took me during his lunch hour because of the three hour drive (did I mention there was a blizzard yesterday and we had to drive 30 miles per hour on the freeway over lovely black ice) and we will go from there, either another week on the meth, tapering down, or switch to the sub at that time.
Thanks for listening, and helping!
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
Suture

Kymmie,
Hi and welcome. Other people have successfully transitioned at your current dose or higher, but your doc is being cautious and legally he cannot prescribe any opioid for addiction accept methadone (if he is a certified clinic) and sub. You will do yourself a favor if you only take as little methadone as you need so you can switch to sub soon. Ideally, switching to something like Vicodin (or other short acting opioid) for the last 3 days will make the transition easier. If you stay on methadone for months I think the transition will be more difficult.

Whenever you switch over be absolutely sure you are in withdrawal before you take your first dose of sub no matter how long that is. Other wise the sub will put you in withdrawal and it will not be pleasant. As Nancy pointed out, see this link for more on that: http://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#70

Learn as much as you can about your treatment and the why and how you became addicted in the first place and you will increase your chances of a permanent remission.

S-

Suture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #29
FreeAtLast

Gimme, Today is an emotional day for me. Don't know why - I even cried watching the view. Your post made me cry too. It just brings back the feelings of "THERE IS AN END IN SITE - I HAVE A PLAN" During all of the pill popping I and probably you felt so out of control. It feels good to be in control now, right? You've got a plan. Have a great day. You deserve to be happy and I am so glad for you. Mary
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #30
jascade

gimme, I am so glad that you are doing well. You sound relieved! I hope you continue to keep us updated.
take care,
Susan

p.s.
just curious, where are you from..I live in Mn and we finally got snow yesterday too>
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #31
opiatedeficient

Hi Kymmie,
I have to say that this is first I've heard of a doctor switching someone from hydro to methadone before going on suboxone. It seems rather backwards to me, but obviously I'm not a doctor so I'm hoping more people will chime in. My initial thoughts are that I was under the impression that going from methadone to suboxone was actually a more difficult transition because you would end up having to wait many more hours after your last dose of meth than you would with the hydro, because the meth sticks around a lot longer (?)
I completely understand not being able to deal with withdrawals for too long; every time some professional says that withdrawals are like the flu I want to scream. I've had the flu, and I've done cold turkey withdrawals and to me they are not even comparable!
I wonder why the doctor didn't go with the route of giving you lots of "symptom management" for the withdrawals to get you to 12 or even 24 hours and then start the sub. Things like clonidine, LARGE doses of immodium, and something like ativan or klonipin certainly won't stop withdrawals, but could probably have made them tolerable enough to get you to the point where you could have held off the needed time to take the sub and not go into precipated withdrawals.

And ultimately, if you are really into withdrawals from the hydro after 6 hours, I wonder why you couldn't then have taken the sub at 6-8 hours. I thought that as long as you were in withdrawals from the hydro, taking the sub wouldn't cause precipitated withdrawals? After all, each person is different; for me even at my largest amounts of pills, I could realistically make it to just about 24 hours before the withdrawals set in to the point of "I can't take it one more minute!" But I've encountered others who were definitely sick within 12 hours. So, in theory, if you were really in withdrawal by say, 6 hours, I wonder why you couldn't just take the sub?

I'm by no means telling you that your doctor doesn't know what he's doing, or to not take the methadone. Obviously there is a lot about this medication that I don't understand and it is apparent that there is a lot of differences in how each doctor starts the protocal. I just don't fully understand how switching from hydros to methadone would help--one of my understandings about sub was that you didn't need to taper from the shorter-acting opiates such as hydro or oxycodone to start it; you just needed to be in withdrawals, whereas with the longer-acting opiates such as methadone, tapering was often necessary. I hope Caroline or another doc will chime in and help me understand?

Ultimately I hope for you that whatever the steps, you are able to transition to the sub with the least amount of discomfort possible and that sub will be the miracle for you that it has been for so many of the posters here.

God knows withdrawals are an evil I don't wish upon anyone. I remember reading a comment once where someone said that anyone that had to deal with the treatment of addiction; doctors, legal folk (police, judges, lawyers, jail personnel, probation officers) and counselors at detoxes and rehabs should all have to experience even 24 hours of a cold-turkey withdrawal as part of their training so they could actually truly understand that there comes a point where addicts aren't taking drugs because they just "want to" or are greedy and lack willpower...addicts take drugs because they quite simply "have to."
opiatedeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #32
OpioidsGotMe

I was thinking the same thing Opid-Def was saying. Like he said we are not doctors but from reading this forum we all have a pretty good understanding of how it works. Well I hope the best for gimme. I hope this is the easiest and best way for him. Good luck.

Darrin
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2006, 11:06 PM   #33
paul1270

welcome Gimmee, as you see there is a lot of support and experience here. I am not going to repeat the same things that have been said but only to tell you that you will be fine after you get the suboxone at the dosage that works for you. It was unbelievable when I went in with withdrawl and the suboxone kicked in I felt like a new man, Take care, Pauly
paul1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 02:27 AM   #34
ryannnn65

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gimmekymmie

I want to be totally honest. i don't think i can stand even 12 hours. At six, i am SICK sick. I wake up every four hours at night, in wd's, and have to take pills to fall back asleep.This is my fear. i read all about precipitated withdrawal and I of course want to avoid that, but honestly... 12 hours? i wouldn't even be able to drive and this doctor is not only in a different state, i have to drive three hours to get there.
it was his office who told me not to bother to be in withdrawal because he won't give it to me there. I wish i could take it there, but apparently that is not how he does it. Obviously from the long drive, i don't have any other options, this is the nearest doctor and the only one I found after months of looking who had an opening.
very nervous. hate withdrawal. i know, who likes it... but ugh. TWELVE hours? i can't see it.
People will disagree, But with a short acting drug like Hydro, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN SIGNIFICANT WITHDRAWAL. 4-6 hours since your last dose should be plenty. As long as you can feel them coming you are OK
ryannnn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #35
glimmertwin

Hi Kymmie -

I think what Ryannn is saying is right. My hydro use was 30 pills a day, I knew I was ready to wave the white flag and surrender, so I found a good addiction doctor who told me that I only had to wait for 10 or 12 hours after my last dose of hydro. I waited 12 hours, and I think that was because the doc showed up at the hospital I was staying at so I was awakened and given 4mgs to start with, I stayed up for about a half hour, wanted to find out if the mild withdrawals I was feeling would go away quickly, and they did. I had heard all kinds of horror stories about people waiting 24 hours or longer, before they could have that first dose, and by that time they were in lots of misery because of certain withdrawal symptoms.

It was not bad at all. I was very surprised how easy it was. The withdrawals had not gotten bad at all.

I currently take 24mgs subutex daily, it keeps cravings completely away and it has been a very effective treatment for my depression.

And I don't plan to stop my treatment. Don't be afraid, just keep asking any questions that come up and let us, and your doctor, know how your'e doing.

Best of luck to you in this brand new year!

Sheryl
glimmertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #36
gimmekymmie

started a new thread- took my first dose this morning... thanks all for your help and support. I did as someone advised and went back on the hydros for three days before switching over to the subutex. the methadone during that time really helped me get my levels down and got me out of the pill gobbling habit. i feel it worked well for me. I waited eight hours before i took my sub this morning. The rest of my boring story is over at the other thread, but I wanted to close out his one by saying... SUCCESS.
Unread 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #37
snipes

gimmie....

Good to hear that your transition has gone some what smooth so far! Keep us posted on how your doing.....I wish you the best...and remember it gets better day by day...keep your head up!

-Tim
snipes is offline   Reply With Quote