Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
NancyB
Administrator

Default Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)

Hi, recently I've seen some mention of SAD (Seasonal affective disorder) on the forum. With the autumnal equinox next week and the days getting shorter and shorter, I thought I'd put some links with suggestions on what may be helpful to combat it.

Getting enough sunlight may not be possible, especially if you're in the Northern part of the country and it's too cold to venture out. They have lights specifically for SAD. This might be helpful in looking into getting one:

Seasonal affective disorder treatment: Choosing a light box
Light therapy boxes can offer an effective treatment for seasonal affective disorder. Features such as light intensity, safety, cost and style are important considerations.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...t/art-20048298

An article on Vitamin D:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...vitamin-d.aspx

9 Ways to Treat Seasonal Depression
http://www.everydayhealth.com/depres...epression.aspx

Some people may need an anti-depressant just for the period of time that SAD is prevalent, so don't be afraid to speak with your doctor about that.

A couple of general articles on SAD:
http://www.medicinenet.com/seasonal_...ad/article.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021047

Hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-15-2015), Thank You (09-16-2015)
Unread 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Millie

Thanks for this, NancyB. I live pretty far north and our days get very short. By mid-winter, it's dark when we go to work, and dark when we go home. SAD was one of the big reasons I started running, as I wanted to try everything before taking medication. That and a vitamin D supplement (as it turned out I was very low) have made a big difference. And I can tell when it's starting after all these years, so I can do other behavioral things to try to moderate it. When I worked in an office without a window, I also got a desk lamp with a full-spectrum bulb. Every little bit can help.

Thanks again for thinking of this.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-15-2015), Thank You (11-03-2015)
Unread 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon Nancy. Bright blessings to you.

Thank you for bringing this to the familys attention. It is very real.

May i suggest that until relatively recently folk going about their business were not aware of quite what was going on for them during this time. Often it is the awareness of the problem that brings about empowerment.

To add to Millies thanks, thanks for thinking of us.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Nancy
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
gmasusie

Thank you, Nancy. This is very real for me in Jan & Feb
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2015)
Unread 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

You're very welcome everyone. I hope it helps as this is a very real diagnosis. As Millie said, every little bit can help, and maybe there's something in those articles that someone hasn't tried before.

One thing I forgot to mention was to have your Vitamin D levels checked at your next doctor visit. That could be a big help in determining if you're deficient to begin with and you and doctor can work towards getting those levels up, even more so in winter.

If anyone else knows or finds anything that might help, please jump right in and share it here if you'd like.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2015)
Unread 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

"Bumping" this thread up as it's more relevant now since turning the clocks back.

Another article:
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/t...topic-overview
Thank You (11-03-2015)
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
Tryntryagain

Good morning dear Nancy. Bright blessings to you.

Thank you so much for this. I want to support you and others in recognising this as a very real happening for folk across the world.

I take Vit D daily as not only does it affect mood and whatnot, yet over time a lack in Vit D effects bones, teeth, eyesight it really can be debilitating. As always with this family we can share ways through this.

Thanks Nancy.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear Nancy
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2015)
Unread 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Millie

Thanks for bumping this, NancyB. And for the article.
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2015), Thank You (01-07-2016)
Unread 01-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

bump.
Thank You (01-07-2016)
Unread 01-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #10
Tryntryagain

Good morning dear Nancy. Bright blessings to you.

Thank you for the bump.

Here in dear Ole Blighty we have just every record going for the amount of rainfall....etc, etc, etc. For weeks we have seen nothing but gales, overcast skys and rain. We have been flooded out with the amount of it.

Over the last 2-3 weeks i have heard many say "how miserable" everyone looks and feels.

Well yes! It is almost as if it comes as a "surprise" to people that wet weather, dark days and nights effect us in the same way a nice sunny day lifts our spirits.

As an alcoholic i tried to learn on my way what my triggers are. I am sure i would not be alone as an alcoholic is signalling out my mood, depression as a major threat to my sobriety.

If the season conspires to produce an aesthetic environment that is conducive to bringing on my depression, it is in my own interests to share it, recognise it and pay attention to it.

Sometimes "looking on the bright side" can mean just that. Sometimes the "bright side"....is deep within us.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear Nancy
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-07-2016)
Unread 01-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Tryntryagain

(Tryns been waffling to everyone today. Just putting this back to the top)

Loveness to all.
Unread 01-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
R. Lee

A gratitude list also helps Tryn.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Millie

Thanks, Nancy...

I was reading the other day (while trying to research the effectiveness of therapy lamps like the one I bought) about SAD, and about how so many people think it's just the "winter blues" or think you can just be positive and use your attitude to get through it. That's not the case though. It's chemical, and while I do think it can exacerbate situational depression, it can also be a cause of depression all on its own.

After years (maybe decades) of self-medicating and thinking I could kick it on my own, and even trying counseling but never being able to actually tell anyone what's wrong -- because there *isn't* anything wrong, after trying the therapy lamp and having it actually work, I now really comprehend that like "regular" depression, it's not that easy. I actually noticed a difference with the lamp the first day I used it. And I was doubtful.

My point is that it can definitely be a trigger, as it has been for me, and if someone can't manage it on their own, it's not because you're just not being positive enough, or not keeping your chin up, or any other kind of personal failing. It may very well require help -- meds, counseling, exercise, light therapy, something. It is taken seriously, and it can be treatable.