Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
senior123

Default Senior123 - new to the forum

Can someone tell me how to put up a post ??
senior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi senior123, you did just post. If you're looking to start a new thread, click on the grey "New Thread" button at the top left of the forum.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=81

This link is an explanation of how the forum is set up.
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle..._threads_posts

Hope that helps. If not, please just ask.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

To make it easier, I just moved your post and my post to a new thread. You can use this one if you'd like or start a new one.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-23-2015), Thank You (10-25-2015)
Unread 10-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
senior123

thank You very much Nancy. But I still can't get it right.
Unread 10-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
senior123

I have been on suboxone for eight years. if I run short I look for pain pills. I will be 65 in December & i am told I will not be covered for suboxone. It's been five day's with nothing so i"m feeling sick. Thank you Nancy & all for your help. I need id
Unread 10-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
morphing

Senior123,

Welcome to the site.

Will you be covered for one of the generic forms of Buprenorphine (Suboxone)? Some insurances prefer to pay for generics rather than the name brand medication.

Thanks,
Morphing
morphing is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015)
Unread 10-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi senior123, like morphing posted, can you get a generic? Or Zubsolv or even Bunavail?

One thing that raises a red flag is when you said 'if I run short I look for pain pills.' Are you engaged in any counseling so you can learn ways to handle cravings?

What dose were you taking before you ran out?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Nancy
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (10-25-2015)
Unread 10-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
senior123

i take 8 mg tablets 2 x a day. but there are times i feel i need more,and that leave's me short. They say I'm on the generic. Im not in treatment. And here in N.Y. they say if your on suboxone please don't share at NA meetings. Thanks all for your help
Unread 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
morphing

Senior123,

I would recommend seeking a therapist or counselor. The dose you're on, 8mg x 2 daily, is pretty high. The way buprenorphine works is that you reach a certain level, called the ceiling effect, and then any additional medicine you take has no effect. The feeling that we need more is mainly psychological, from they way we used to cope with things...if we were stressed we'd take another pill.

When you get your next refill you may want to consider going to 12mg a day (cut afternoon dose to 1/2 tablet). Over the period of a few weeks, I believe you could get down to 8mg. easily.

I started at 20mg a day last February and am at 6mg a day now with no ill effects.

Thanks,
Morphing
4 Users Say Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-25-2015), Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (10-25-2015), Thank You (10-26-2015)
Unread 10-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
senior123

dear Morphing. Yes Im always stressed & that's what I do. For the last two day's I have taken a half of the 8 mg. So far pretty good. My son was killed & i got divorced so im alone a lot. i know that don't help. I'm going back to NA meetings. Even though they say don't share if your taking Suboxone. Thanks for your help.
Unread 10-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
morphing

Senior123,

I would recommend just acting as if you weren't taking Suboxone when you go to NA, but talk with the group about the other issues that are effecting you. They don't need to know anything about the Suboxone.

I am divorced as well, so I know the stress and trauma that causes. You definitely sound like you need to meet with a grief counselor or someone to discuss both the divorce and the loss of your son. Those are both major traumas, and you don't need to be trying to just handle things on your own!

Keep us posted on how you're doing,
Morphing
2 Users Say Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-29-2015), Thank You (10-28-2015)
Unread 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
senior123

good morning Morphing & Nancy. Sometime i have a hard time getting around this site(not to good with computers) I would like to say I have been cutting my 8 mg Suboxone in half & going through the day. i must say it's not to bad. I don't want to rush things along because I know I'll be back to square one. things have been pretty good so far. Thank you both for helping me. I will keep you posted.
Unread 10-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
morphing

Senior123,

That's great that you're able to use only 4mg (1/2 of a strip) a day! I agree totally...no need to drop any further right now. Just stabilize at that point and keep in mind that for most people, 4mg is the point at which the "ceiling effect" takes effect...taking any more won't do anything except use up more strips.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and if you are able to find a counselor to help you process everything you are having to deal with.

Thanks,
Morphing
One User Says Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-31-2015)
Unread 10-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi senior123, if it helps any, you can subscribe to your thread so you get an email when someone responds. That feature is in the thick purple bar right above the first post when you click on "Thread Tools". You can get instant, daily or weekly notifications. Then you can click on the link in the email and it will bring you right to the thread.

Ditto on what morphing posted to you. Good job on reducing down!

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-31-2015)
Unread 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Sam Bailey

Hey Senior123,

Welcome to the site. It's a good place to share your struggles. The folks here are kind AND straight-shooters.

I really just wanted to welcome you and echo what Morphing said, you do not have to handle this problem/condition, etc. on your own. In fact, it's a terrible idea to even try.

Engage with us, on line. And no question about it, go back to NA and speak openly about your struggles, whether with substances or with grief.

Morphing is also 100% right, as positive a program that NA/AA is, and I believe it is a positive place to go, they do not need to know about your Sub Treatment. That's your business.

You sound like a good and decent person, Senior123. I'm so sorry that you've experienced these heartbreaks, are experiencing them. But healing is possible, I need to believe that---and I do.

Give it time though. "Work your program" as best you can. And the Sub? Yep, I think you were definitely taking too, too much. Truth is, it's a pretty potent med.

Stay with that 4 mgs for a while. And really do your best NOT to "spike," which means DON'T take any more than you require to keep both the withdrawals and the cravings away.

Btw, further questions? Any of us, of course---but especially Nancy. She's aces, she really is!

best to you!

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (10-31-2015)
Unread 10-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
GirlGettingOffSubs

Hi Senior123,

Just wanted to put my two cents in and say hello and welcome! Like Sam and others said, we are here for you. I am alone a lot too (minus my dog-my best friend ever) I live with a boyfriend but he's not too present and works a lot.

You have been through a lot and are definitely headed in the right direction. Before I moved to the area I am in, I was very very active in meetings, I went to AA as opposed to NA. That's good you are going to meetings and reaching out to us. You can do this. I know that, because I did it.

Keep us posted, and Nancy is fantastic with ideas and tips, and I can always chime in with what helped for me (and I am am RN too) but don't ever feel like we are judging you, this is the most friendly and helpful group of folks I have probably ever "met" .

Okay, enough from me, I hope you are having a good day!
Angie
GirlGettingOffSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to GirlGettingOffSubs For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (10-29-2015), Thank You (10-31-2015)
Unread 10-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #17
senior123

Good morning all. i just wanted to share my back went out & i took one 8 mg suboxone. I went up a half,it's still better then the 16 mg that i'm suppose to take,But i'm beating myself up over it. i must add that I've had three back surgery's. But I can't fall back on that. Thanks everyone I just wanted to share.
Unread 10-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi senior123, how is your back? Don't beat yourself up, it's done and over and you were in pain. Bupe is a painkiller, so it's not like you took it for any other reason.

One thing about bupe is that it works better in low doses for pain. The painkilling properties last from 4 to 6 hours, so if you broke that 8mg up in 4 pieces, and took 1 piece every 4 to 6 hours, it might help even better than the 1 8mg did.

Take care and no beating yourself up!!

Nancy
3 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (10-31-2015), Thank You (11-02-2015)
Unread 11-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
morphing

Senior123,

You are doing well, do worry about the 8 mg when you have bad pain. Just go back to 4 mg if you're ready and let your body stabilize there for a while before you try tapering any further.

This will let you save some so that you never run short, so that you never have to look for pain pills. You are really doing very well. Let us know if you were able to find a counselor or therapist.

Have a nice Sunday!
Morphing
2 Users Say Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-01-2015), Thank You (11-02-2015)
Unread 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
nan

Dear Senior123, Do you know that suboxone works best as a pain killer at very low doses. With this medication if you take more it does not relieve the pain. Suboxone also has a ceiling effect that taking more and more only wastes the medication and is not used by your body. Overall I am hearing that you are just taking more and more because your mind is telling you to because of addiction. It is very dangerous to run out of suboxone and then seek drugs over and over again. You are in a pattern that you must break. And, you can if you really want to. Yes, you will need support as well as a positive mindset. Also having an understanding of how suboxone works in your body will help you too. Cut down on the amount and take the medication only once a day and then forget about it! (To help with pain, though, one usually takes 1-2mg every 4 to 6 hours.) I hope you do take advantage of the free meetings, AA or NA. Seems AA is more welcoming and maybe a better fit for lots of folks. Bottom line, seek out support in person with a group. Of course you do not have to share what medications you are taking-don't have to share that with anyone except your doctor.

I hope this will be encouraging to you-keep reading and posting.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to nan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-23-2015), Thank You (11-23-2015)
Unread 11-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #21
senior123

Just want to say thank you all for your help.It really feels great that people you don't really know are there to help.I'm also learning things about Suboxone that I never knew. My doctor never mentions anything about tapering off. I guess it's just another pay day for these doctors.. Again thank you so much for your help
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #22
MattC42286

Hi senior123! You make a user name and passowrd..log in..then you click on what forum you are interested in. Then you read the different titles on the page and see what chat you want to enter and click it and you are in!! Hope you fond what you need! Happy thanksgiving!!!!!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #23
senior123

I was on Suboxine every month. Now my doctor said they cut it to every 15 day's. I haven't been on for a while due to heart surgery. I still don't know how to post. Please help It's been years
Unread 08-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior123 View Post
I was on Suboxine every month. Now my doctor said they cut it to every 15 day's. I haven't been on for a while due to heart surgery. I still don't know how to post. Please help It's been years
Hi senior123, that's what a post is - what you did there. We removed your email address because this is an anonymous forum. From the policies:

To maintain your anonymity, please DO NOT post personal information like name, phone number, email address, or other personal information.

What do you need help with? Just type it out like you did in your other post.

Nancy
Unread 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #25
senior123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi senior123, how is your back? Don't beat yourself up, it's done and over and you were in pain. Bupe is a painkiller, so it's not like you took it for any other reason.

One thing about bupe is that it works better in low doses for pain. The painkilling properties last from 4 to 6 hours, so if you broke that 8mg up in 4 pieces, and took 1 piece every 4 to 6 hours, it might help even better than the 1 8mg did.

Take care and no beating yourself up!!

Nancy
Dear Nancy I must be plain stupid but I don't know how to post It's been months since I've been on here. Take suboxone ( to many a day) When I run out I get pain meds. I'm going for thousands. How I posted this I don't know Thank You
One User Says Thank You to senior123 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-17-2017)
Unread 04-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #26
NancyB
Administrator

Hi senior123, you're doing it correctly because your posts are showing up.

Have you talked with your doctor about taking too many meds and maybe they can help you?

Nancy