Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
jerryg

Default Recovery Books for Men...

I am compiling a list of books about recovery for men. I would like to hear from members here. I am sure there are good books to be found. Though I am seeking to make a men's list your suggestions can range widely as long as they address recovery, or spirituality around recovery. It's all good.
Thank you.
Jerry
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Saint

Jerry,

Hi - Great idea!

I read 'Addictive Thinking, Understanding Self-Deception" by Abraham J Twerski, M.D. recently. I thought it was very good for me. The book was published by Hazelden.

Regards
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
R. Lee

Jerry, Thanks for your help here. I'm sorry to say I haven't read a book on recovery ouside the books in A.A since the guy that was on Opra wrote about his recovery at Hazelton that caused such an uproar. I had read both his books before he was exposed. I look forward to the list. R. Lee
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Saint

R.Lee,

Hi, How's the weather? Any snow yet?

You wouldn't recall the name would you. Just want to make sure he stays off my reading list!

Regards
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
CarlyO

I had posted this to Saint a while back, but the last time I was in 28 day - many of the men were sharing and reading books by Eckart Tolle - "The Power of Now" and "Awakening Your Life's" purpose.
I am sure newer ones have been published since then- sometimes it seems people get on a bandwagon, but like everything take what you can use - leave the rest.

Another one- was more of a pamphlet was required reading by some ( both men and women ) Called " King Baby" , deals with the character traits within us, especially ego. I remember one great guy, was very moved by it, he had been a pro sportsman and learned how to deal with some of the traits he saw in himself through this literature.
Then there is Emmet Fox- The Sermon on the Mount --
"A New Pair of Glasses "is an oldie too.
I realize many of these deal more with spirituality but also finding your purpose in life, maybe not being defined by income, job , status... or other issues that caused much stress which in turn lead alcohol issues.
I think this is a great idea, being in 28 day, just 16 of us, we got to know each other well, I realized men have their issues too, had some very powerful group sessions !
Anyway- Hope this helps. : )

Rlee - That was unfortunate about that guy - I had read both his books too. I actually enjoyed them.
Carrie Fisher has a new book out - she has been very open about her dual diagnosis issues- this new one is ... "Wishful Drinking "- she is an awesome comedy writer/actress - do not know if it is your taste. But it has been a big success so far. I mean if we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes- we would go bananas : 0
Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
R. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
R.Lee,

Hi, How's the weather? Any snow yet?

You wouldn't recall the name would you. Just want to make sure he stays off my reading list!

Regards
Saint, I just saw your post from some time ago. No snow yet. James Frey was the author. R. Lee
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
R. Lee

Carly, I have seen Carry Fisher interviewed & enjoyed her openness.
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
CarlyO

Hi Rlee,

"Postcards from the Edge" was a good book, the movie ( even though it starred Meryl Streep " did not do the book Justice- imo.

I might not can wait for her new book to be published in paperback- will try the library and let you know.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and the family. Take care, Carly : )
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Saint

R.Lee,

Hi - I googled 'James Frey' and as soon as I saw his picture I recognized him.

I read the transcript from his follow up interview with Oprah after he had been called out regarding the discrepancies in his book. I got the sense he wasn't being totally honest/open in that interview either.

An old friend of mine would have paraphrased it as such:
"I won't call him a liar but he's a little careless with the truth".

R.Lee, Carly - Just curious for myself. Did you find his story plausible the first time you read it?

Regards
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
R. Lee

I believed the 1st book. I had read it before he was busted. I didn't get much out of the 2nd. from what I recall. He is the one who has to live with himself.