Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Frankie

Default Another question for R. Lee

What kind of bike do you ride, and were you a mc cop? I had a 86 fxrs for ten years, and lost my fear of it, and sold it. My dad told me a hundred years ago (maybe just the 60"s) that when you loose your fear of the bike, it's time to get off, and I did. I was getting too laxed, and I knew it.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
R. Lee

Frankie, No I was not a motorcycle cop. I started riding again on 04I when I got a 04 Yamaha Roadstar. 1,700 cc's. It looks & sound like a Harley. I live in northern MI so I only get 6 months to ride. I usually put on about 10 grand a year on her. My wife loves to ride with me. We usually ride alone. My brother & his wife will ride now & then with us. He likes to stop at bars so I have watch it with him.

I have no fear on the bike. Other drivers & deer are a problem. If I go down I will go down happy.

Thanks for asking how Carly was doing! She is wonderful with her advice. You see I learned something today from you. I never asked Carly how she was doing.

Carly how are you doing?

Thanks for asking about my bike Frank. R. Lee
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
CarlyO

Hi guys,
LOL I thought you were talking Bicycles ! DUH, Now I see you were talking motorcycles, I love MCs. My neighbor takes my son and I around the neighborhood.

Thanks for asking about me, this is weird to talk about me, but you all are open so ... things are going ok... we have been dealing with Identity Theft for over a year. That has been a nightmare!
But, we have a home, food, the necessities. We survived my husband's lay off - (they called it downsizing). The new company is struggling, so he lives in fear of losing this job. That is not a good feeling.
In fact we are looking at selling our house and moving. We have wanted to move from this one trick pony of a town - for a long time. Plus, suburbia just isn't for us, the whole keeping up with the Jones- not us. and we need to go where the jobs are, wherever that is, I am doing my research on that one. So, maybe this is meant to be, the catalyst we need.

In the big picture - I can't complain, our son is happy, making great grades, is loving Tiger Scouts and his other activities/sports. While, this may not be our Best year, I am not drinking or misusing substances, so that is good.
And - Rlee reminds me to be grateful for what I have.
I am grateful for everyone here, I learn so much from each and everyone of you !

Ok, how about you guys ? How are you ?
Carly signing out ... Take care ! : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
R. Lee

Carly, I have been down in the dumps as of late. I also suffer from depression. BUT when I hear someone share or read what you just posted I realize to be greatful for what I have.

You seem so up beat & look what is going on in your life. You teach me so much.

Frankie, the new guy teaches me to get out of myself & ask others how they are doing even if they sound like everything is great.

Good luck Carly. I feel better already. R. Lee
Unread 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Frankie

Hi Carly and R Lee,

Sorry to hear about your depression Lee. My wife has it, and no meds work so far. That is very tough to live with.

I miss my harley! I got drunk in a bar in the late 80's, and had to lay it down doing 70. Just got through doing some custom work, and painted it myself (lots of work!), and I never drank again while riding.

Sorry to hear about the id theft Carly. Don't envy you at all on that one. Thats all you need now, to have to unravel a nightmare. As far as jobs, I wouldn't even think about so. cal. if your in construction related jobs. The wages here are really dumbed down now. My top guy was getting 28 per hour 4 yrs. ago. Now it's about 10 bucks for the same job. I'm retired now because of a bad back, and not being able to compete. Thinking about moving to or. so I can at least sharpen and sell knives. Can't do that here. Even in palm springs it's done so very cheap.

Glad to hear the chins are up in hard times. Things are a little scary now with most folks. Glad to hear from both of you. Hope things get better for both of you. I think it will.

Frank

PS

Any anti depressants work for you Lee?
Unread 10-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
R. Lee

Frankie, I take them & they do help. I have had some family problems that I brought on being frank with my sister. I chose the wrong time to say these things & I said them in an angary fashion. I have been on the pitty pot & have to let it go. I have made my amends to her. R. Lee
Unread 10-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Frankie

Hi Lee,

I can relate with the sister thing, as I haven't talked to one of my sisters for about 6 yrs., and the other one for 2 yrs., speaking of forgiving and forgetting. Just can't do it. One sister shafted me in buying a peace of property and homes together, and everything in between. We wound up going to court. I didn't know about her little gambling problem.

Like a dummy, I loaned her and her husband several thousand bucks a couple of times to keep them from loosing their house and his backhoe business. 2 yrs. ago I wanted to barrow 5 thousand until I sold my house (it sold in less than a mo.). She emailed me back saying good luck, (this is after I forgave her for shafting me in the past) and thats the last I ever heard from her. I just don't ever think of her anymore, except for now, and i'm getting mad again. Ha!

I wish my wife could find a anti depressant that works. Her shrink has given her 12 different types, but she has side effects on all of them. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Frank
Unread 10-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
R. Lee

Frank, We don't have to be doormats & let friends & family walk on us.

My best friend borrowed $700.00 15 years ago. I held a resentment for ever. I know that I will probably never see the money. I don't have to have anything to do with him anymore. It is my choice. I have let my resentment go. I turned it over. I have done the same with my sister.

My wife suffers from bipolar. She had it many years before she was diagnosed. She is now doing very well on her meds. The weather here has been very dreary & along with being down about my sister I let it get to me. I wasn't working my program on this situation.

Good luck in your soberity. R. Lee

Last edited by R. Lee; 10-23-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Unread 10-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
CarlyO

Hi all,

Frank- that is so funny you said Cali - that was a big NO on our list, things sound rough there, I am more of an East coast person, it would feel odd to have the ocean on the wrong side ; ) lol
Yes, ID theft is a never ending nightmare! To everyone : check your credit reports !

I think I have tried every AD out there, I have tried the newer ones, and ended up going back to an older one. Finding the right AD is trial and error type of thing, what works for me may not for someone else. I wish your wife luck in finding one that works, with few side effects. But when you do find the right one, it does make a world of difference!

Family !! I have learned that there is no such thing as the "perfect family", throw financial issues in the mix and it can be such a mess. It is a shame.

Rlee Glad you were able to let go of that resentment, that is great and I bet you sleep better at night because of it .

Hope everyone has a Good weekend ! take care, Carly : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Frankie

Hi Lee

Forgot to ask if you ever do much targeting? I haven't been out since the 80's other than air guns.

Frank
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
R. Lee

Yes I do but it is in the woods in back of my house.
Unread 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
CarlyO

Hi All,

Frank do you have definite move date - are you up to ears in boxes?
As I said on your thread - hope this weekend went well and all is fine with the family.

Rlee- How are you doing ? Busy, I am sure- esp. taking meetings to those in need. Sending good thoughts your way.

Ok, just wanted say Hello on OT and Thanks for being on the forum and sharing.
Take care, Carly : )
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
R. Lee

Carly, Thanks for asking. All is well here. I hope things have improved on your end. Just because we are sober does not mean crap will not come down the pipe. We have to be prepaired.

Off to the jail meeting in another hour. You take care. Thanks for all you do. R. Lee
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
CarlyO

Hi Rlee- Very rough week- last week, but I am pushing through it.

Not looking forward to the holidays, December is the worst- both parents died in December, one on xmas day, and an Aunt was killed in car crash- New years eve on her way home from work. But, I am searching for a silver lining - have my family, must be Jolly for child, he deserves that so will lean on my supports and get through it.

Gawd that was depressing, sorry - but you are right, crap still happens and Ihave to deal with it , maybe not as graceful as I would like but that is why I am a work in progress ; )

Thanks Rlee - you are a great person ! Take care, Carly : )
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
R. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Hi Rlee- Very rough week- last week, but I am pushing through it.

Not looking forward to the holidays, December is the worst- both parents died in December, one on xmas day, and an Aunt was killed in car crash- New years eve on her way home from work. But, I am searching for a silver lining - have my family, must be Jolly for child, he deserves that so will lean on my supports and get through it.

Gawd that was depressing, sorry - but you are right, crap still happens and Ihave to deal with it , maybe not as graceful as I would like but that is why I am a work in progress ; )

Thanks Rlee - you are a great person ! Take care, Carly : )
Yes carly we have our stressors. I'm not a big fan of the holidays. That is part of my ME, ME attitude. I'm much better that before. A work in progress. We strive for progress not perfection. Stay well Carly, R. Lee
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:11 AM   #16
Saint

Carly,

I'm sorry you had a tough week. Depressing? Perhaps. I think of it as emotions centered around love for another.

Should you ever feel like talking of your parents - it would be an honor to listen.

Never forget they live on, in your memories, through you, and your son.

Take care Carly.

Regards
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
CarlyO

Default .. RE : Motorcycles /travel show round the world

Hi All and especially those who enjoy Motorcycles...

I watched 2 amazing TV series, ( aired on National Geo and BBC ) called Long Way Round and Long Way Down. These 2 guys, both motorcycle enthusiasts, ( one is the actor Ewan McGregor of Star Wars fame and his best friend, Charley Boorman ) along with a support team traveled the first time from England through the Eastern Countries, Russia, Mongolia, flew to Alaska, down through the US ending in NYC on Bikes, specially built by BMW because of the terrain. The 2nd trip, a few years later was from Scotland down through Africa, ending in Cape Town, South Africa. I watched a lot of the episodes via You Tube, then we burned the DVD.

Anyway, it was so incredible the planning, logistics, then into the trip, the people they met throughout the trip were so amazing, so many similarities that we have with other people of other cultures, and they were alone except for a cameraman - no one knew who Ewan even was. Thy camped in tents, the bikes broke down , they had the tools to fix them or had to have the locals help them. ( support crew was there for emergencies only and even they had a great story, trying to take the trucks through a river, definitely nail biting stuff).
It was so interesting, some parts hilarious - some sad moments too. I have such an appreciation for motorbike riding now, the freedom of being on the open road. They also did work for Unicef along the way, which was heart warming. They ultimately have such a passion for riding, it was definitely contagious.
Anyway, thought I would share this, if you get a chance to watch some of the episodes, they have website LongWayRound.com but most of the episodes are on You Tube.

Carly : )
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
R. Lee

I'm so glad to be sober this time of day!

Thanks Carly. I haven't see this but I will be sure to bring up the site. You have it down pat on how you feel when riding. My bike is parked for the winter. I put about 9,000 miles going no where this year. It was wonderful.