Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
secretaddiction

Default Indefinite suboxone therapy

Who in here is on suboxone Indefinitely? It has helped me so much. My only issue is I have a very bad back and suffer in pain everyday but I know I can't take pain meds because of being on suboxone so I deal with it. If it wouldn't be for suboxone I'm sure if be back on pain meds.
secretaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
jlmc1978

I try to come here and post...sometimes I forget though...

But I've been successfully on Suboxone since July 7, 2008. So 9 years coming up...no relapses, at all.

And a lifetime of stressful things have happened that I would've used as an excuse to keep doing my Oxys...

I don't see anything wrong with long-term treatment ...or "maintenace" if you want to call it that. If it keeps me alive, then it's doing something right!
jlmc1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to jlmc1978 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-09-2017), Thank You (05-04-2017), Thank You (05-04-2017), Thank You (05-05-2017)
Unread 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi secretaddiction, how much suboxone do you take each day? Have you tried breaking it up into 1 to 2mg every 4 to 6 hours (depending on what your dose each day is)? For many with pain issues, that's helped because the analgesic properties of bupe generally last for 4 to 6 hours.

Just wanted to throw that out there in case it's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
secretaddiction

Yes my does is 3 times a day. I do take ibuprofen but I have 2 bulging discs and 2 herniated discs but I don't want surgery so I just try to live with it. It does help a little that I take it 3 times a day. I take 4mg 3 times a day. To jlmc1978 yes yes it's keeping me alive and I can now have a normal life.
secretaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to secretaddiction For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-09-2017), Thank You (05-05-2017)
Unread 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
SpAcEdGeD

Been on it since 2006 have no plans of stoping.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to SpAcEdGeD For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-16-2017), Thank You (05-09-2017), Thank You (05-09-2017)
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
BoomerK

Hi all, I've lurked this forum for a long time and finally decided to join. This topic really stood out to me because I am a long-term Suboxone user and there isn't any immediate plan for me to come off of it any time soon.

I started on Suboxone almost 10 years ago (a high dose initially, about 40mg if I remember correctly). Fast forward to about two years ago and I am now on a regular dose of 1mg daily. The dose itself is so small it doesn't even show up on my monthly urine tests through my doctor. However, I still have some minor withdrawals if I attempt to go any lower. My problem, like many others, is that I have pain stemming from a back issue and Suboxone has not only allowed me to get off of the other opiates, but it also offers me a small amount of pain relief.

Anyway, I was ready to try and get off completely about two years ago but my doctor (who is also my primary care doctor) said that he's seen people suffer with severe muscle cramps when they come off and that right now (two years ago) he didn't want to do anything until he had more information. So, he's followed it closely and apparently for long term users the muscle spams can be an issue and they can last quite a while. Since I'm on such a low dose of Sub, we've just decided to stay where I am for now.

Anyway, it's good to know there are others that are long term Sub users. I've heard that there are others, but haven't met any personally.
BoomerK is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to BoomerK For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-16-2017), Thank You (05-17-2017)
Unread 05-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
jimash55

Default 9 Years

...I think it's 9 or real close to it but the point being I have no plans on attempting to reduce or to stop taking my medicine.
I have a long history of opioid addiction and incarceration(s) and my story is on here. I joined Naabt back in 2008 and it has helped me many times over.
If your doing well then by all means stick with it. Thanks for your honesty and keep posting.
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jimash55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-16-2017), Thank You (05-17-2017)
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
jlmc1978

I have just started the process of having my 1 (single) felony conviction overtuned or expunged ...whatever Alabama does...
It's 1 count of identity theft. It was back in 2007 or so. And since that time, I have cleaned up my life tremendously. I never had anything on my record prior to that, and since that time I haven't even so much as had a speeding ticket (or even been stopped for any reason)....
I know it's a long process..but I want my rights back. I already have the right to vote -- and I didn't do anything to get that reinstated. One day I just got a voter ID card in the mail and decided to go vote (this was probably 2010 or 2012)...so I tried and my name was there. I didn't fill out any papers to get voting reinstated (though I've read that you HAVE to do this in order for them to do it..they don't just automatically reinstate you to vote)...but voting isn't my goal...
I want to be able to buy, carry and conceal my weapons. I already have a pistol and my wife just bought one last week...but I fear getting stopped and having it discovered ..then dealing with the "felon in possession" charge that will come with that. I've read that percentages are pretty high (over 80% or so) for nonviolent felony to have their rights returned to them...so I'm hoping I get that.

If I have to lawyer-up, it'll cost me around $3500...so I decided to try by myself first and see what luck I have. If I get denied, then I'll get a lawyer, but I don't see why I can't just do it myself.
jlmc1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jlmc1978 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-18-2017)
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
freetobe

i totally agree if it wasn't for the medication i would not be able to be where i am today

stay stronge
freetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to freetobe For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-18-2017)
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #10
Joaniej231

Default Joaniej231

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretaddiction View Post
Who in here is on suboxone Indefinitely? It has helped me so much. My only issue is I have a very bad back and suffer in pain everyday but I know I can't take pain meds because of being on suboxone so I deal with it. If it wouldn't be for suboxone I'm sure if be back on pain meds.
First time on here. Suboxone indefinitely. I feel normal. I do have a bad shoulder, bad hip, take Tylenol ES which does help. I don't worry about the pain, I plow through it, for me it's not being crazy preventing withdrawal. If that makes sense. I don't picture myself ever coming off. My reason for being here is the fear of the unknown. Do I stay on it forever? Should I try to wean down or just accept the fact that it's a part of who I am. I have struggled with addiction my whole adult life. I am 66. My life is good. Any thoughts from others who are on Suboxone.
Joaniej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Joaniej231 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-19-2017), Thank You (08-13-2017), Thank You (05-20-2017)
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Joaniej231, welcome. What dose are you taking? For some people also dealing with pain issues, splitting up their dose to take every 4 to 6 hours has helped. That's because the analgesic properties of buprenorphine last from 4 to 6 hours and seem to work better at lower doses (1 to 4mg). It also depends on the person and the type of pain.

That might be something to discuss with your doctor to see if it would help you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote