Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
hawaiilover

Default Drug and Alcohol Counselor

Good morning and happy Friday to all:

I want your input and feedback on this one. I am currently working as a teacher and work with adults. The thing about this job is if you don't have enough students enrolled in your class, the principal closes your class. I've been doing this for 9 yrs. However, it is getting harder and harder to keep a full class for the entire day. Presently, I am working 2 hrs. daily and lost my medical benefits.

I have not been able to look for full time employment in other areas because I also take care of mom and daughter in the afternoons. I can manage 4 to 6 hrs. daily.

So, I have decided to try another career: Drug and Alcohol Counselor. I am registered at a private school for the fall semester. This field is brand new to me and I am not an alcohol. I think I can make a great counselor. Not sure what the job outlook is for drug and alcohol counselors. I am paying for this myself and want to make sure I am heading in the right direction. Please, I need your advice.

Thank you much.

Hawaiilover
hawaiilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
CarlyO

Hi HL ,

Just my opinion, as I am not sure if your program offers this but you may want to look into CSAC programs in my experience some employers who deal with alcohol/substance issues, court system, treatments centers .. etc... often hire a "certified substance abuse counselor " over other degrees, BUT you never know it really depends on the agency, center, clinic.... just google CSAC and there are tons of links.
As far as counseling jobs, I say if you have a passion for it -- go for it, like a lot of support services there are always cuts and freezes but if you could in with a non -profit or something like Catholic ( for example) services. I would research what is available in your area.
I am sorry that your hours were cut but at least you are being proactive so kudos to you! Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.

Last edited by CarlyO; 05-09-2011 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-09-2011)
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
hawaiilover

Carly: Thank you for your input. I will research it further. Now, I am comtemplating in class vs. online classes. I am currently registered to attend twice a month on Saturdays and Sundays. After volunteering at my church Saturday, I was done and no energy for Mother's Day. Then, I question my ability to be in weekend class twice a month. I am prayimg for guidance. Thanks again, Carly. Have a nice Monday.

HL
hawaiilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Magda

Sorry I came in to this so late, but I am working towards a degree in the field currently. What I have chosen to do is get my associates degree in criminal justice with a concentration in corrections through a local college. Since there are no local schools offering a bachelors degree is substance abuse counseling, I am strongly considering online schooling through Indiana Weslyan because they have an outstanding reputation in the addiction/recovery fields of study. There is a projection of a 15-20% increase in employment for this field through 2016.
Aside of education, each state has a licensing board for addiction counselors and there is usually a beginners level license available where you volunteer time towards earning the certification. In my home state, this level is CDCA (certified chem. dep. counselor assistant). It permits the holder to work in a facility under a supervisor with higher credentials as they work towards their next level. I received my CDCA certification last year. I am waiting to work in a facility until I receive my associates because most jobs require the degree along with the license now. Things have changed allot over the last decade and education is now a requirement in the field, where in the past it was not.
If you need any other help or info., feel free to ask. I love helping people and all the pieces fit for me to enter this field. I wish you all the best as you decide on your future!
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote