Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
CarlyO

Default Ego, Meditation, Spirituality...

This is from the book Eat Pray Love- The main character Liz, the writer took a year off to find herself after a divorce and to seek to quiet her mind, traveled to Italy, India - to an Ashram where she met Richard and on to Bali.

Richard who Liz describes as sounding "like the cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn," is in remission from alcohol/substance misuse had been to this Ashram before and from some of his quotes had been "in the rooms" has imo some the best quotes in the entire book.

This I found about meditation and the Ego: Liz was complaining that she couldn't meditate, quiet her thoughts , she wanted a timeline of when she would be at peace with herself/mind etc... Richard so deftly put it- "Meditation is NOT to see pretty colors, that wasn't finding the truth about oneself. "
She stated that all she did was " argue with herself" when trying to meditate.

Richard basically explained that NOISE she was hearing was her "EGO trying control her thoughts : The ego's main purpose is to make you feel separate, tries to convince you that you are broken, flawed and alone" He went on to say that her "Ego was fighting for it's life, but if she stayed on her spiritual path , the Ego's days were numbered - and would be out of work and her heart will be making all the decisions." - Elizabeth Gilbert , EatPrayLove

She asked how to stop it and he equated the ego with trying to take candy from a baby, "the best way to do it is to distract it with something else, something healthier, like love " He did not mean romantic love but more love of oneself, for others.

I read the entire book, which is hilarious, witty but I also could feel her pain from divorce, relationships, search for some kind of universal truth to find peace, spirituality ( not religion but spirituality ) that she could relate to and then eventually finding love once again, was one of the best reads in a while. Richard is by far my favorite, a kindred spirit.

So just thought I would share. FWIW . I cannot believe how many times I picked up the book and put it back down, purchasing something else. It takes what it takes.Oh- My husb is reading it now: )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.

Last edited by CarlyO; 09-02-2010 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Saint

Carly,
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen the movie but heard it is 'good'. The book sounds interesting as well.
It's always a good sign when the hubby is interested in what the wife is reading : ) Let me know how he likes the book! You know how men are about that touchy, feely stuff.

Regards
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
CarlyO

He LIKES IT - A LOT ! more so b/c he is not into organized religion, and this writer is smart, witty, and profound ! Plus I think anyone who has ever had there heart broken/gone through a divorce, is seeking a quiet mind and spirituality will most likely like it. he thought it was going to be a " girlie" book but she writes from both perspectives- imo. And then there is Richard - with his wisdom and hilarious quips.
: ) Take care , Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Saint

On you and your other halve's endorsement I've been reading Eat, Pray, Love. I was chuckling to myself after the first page or two : ) . And then there is Richard! I love the quip where his ex thinks he has a new name, she calls me mother****er. I nearly peed my pants! LOL Haven't finished the book yet but so far it's a jewel.

Thank you~!
Saint
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
CarlyO

Oh Saint !
I am so glad u are enjoying it!! I know the exes name is hilarious ! I still read pages from it when I need perspective. Can't you just hear FogHorn Leghorn ole' Richard. Wait till you read his response to her when she asks him does he want his REAL name in the book ? Classic !

BTW - The actor who does portray "Richard" steals the show! He was in Burn After Reading, Dick and Jane, The Dad/ghost from 6 Feet Under series- Perfect casting, and even though the film cannot possibly ( timewise ) fit in the details, the jist is there and of course the scenery is stunning. Italy makes you want u want to gorge on Authentic Pasta - guilt free. It should be available to rent soon.

Next up is to read Committed her follow up book, the reviews I read is she does end up marrying Felipe. Should be interesting, because after all she has learned on her journey of self discovery - I am eager to see how they make the marriage work. PLUS,, I want to loan it out to my friends who are in a search of a healthy relationship after divorce break ups--- But first I will suggest Eat Pray Love then ... Committed.
Hope you have a great weekend!
Enjoy : )

her website.. fyi

http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/committed.htm
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Saint

Carly,

HI - I've been meaning to tell you for a while how much I enjoyed the book. Thanks so much for the recommendation! Ive been tempted to reread the book but never seem to have as much time as I need.

Well got a pile of clothes to fold so take care. I trust all is well on your end....

Regards,
Saint

P.S. 'Committed' is up next
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
CarlyO

Hi Saint,

So glad you liked the book ! How have you been doing? Anything
exciting going on ?
Hope all is well with your daughter - can you believe holidays are right around the corner? Time is flying by.
First report card came out - Honor Roll for my Lil' guy and he just got his orange belt ! So I cannot complain.
I guess it will be time for you two to hit the slopes soon, yes?

Take care Saint : )

P.S. You know those clothes don't fold themselves, I learned the hard way, I thought if I just left them in a big heap on the dryer for a few days that the laundry fairy would magically appear. Well, I am here to tell you that they do not EXIST !
Oh the Humanity ; )
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Saint

Carly,

: ) Got a great chuckle out of me about the clothes LOL!!! No laundry fairy on this end either..... I throw a load in the wash and forget 'em sometimes. Bad idea I've found out. A: they do not dry and fold themselves, B: they wrinkles get worse!

I've been doing better of late. Was off the AD's for three months, struggled with the withdrawals from those, dizziness, restless leg at night and did okay for a while but then I noticed myself having some bad days where I would struggle to get out of bed or need to find a reason to so I went back on at a lower dose. Seems to be doing the trick.

No snow, no skiing but it won't be much longer..... the woodstove's been going a lot lately. Still jogging regularly ! I'll never be able to catch my daughter but I feel so much better physically now after a good run. It took quite a few months to get the kinks out of my body physically but I'm slowly stretching things out and building up my stamina. Ran about 2.5 miles the other day and felt great. My goal is to do a 5K race with my daughter, if she's not to embarassed to run with me : ).
Speaking of which she just recently finished Xcountry and had an awesome year. She's running 2 miles in under 14 minutes and beats a boat load of boys doing it!!! IT's just awesome watching how hard the kids run and then congratulate and encourage each other.
Great to hear your son is excelling in school! That is awesome! And so important to get a good education. The martial arts are great, especially if he has a good teacher. It's good excercise but laso can teach important life lessons. I recall reading from a martial arts book how a man should be like a tree. Firmly rooted and strong but able to bend with the winds of change. The tree that does not bend will break. The tree that bends and is supported by those close will survive the storm. Something like that but you get the idea... : )

Sincerely,
Saint
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
CarlyO

Hi Saint,

Kudos to your daughter wow , that is very impressive! And to you for keeping up with the exercise.
Yes, the AD WDs can be rough, but it sounds like a low dose is working- just my 2 cents BUT - better to be safe than run the risk of being blindsided by a full on bout of depression, which in turn could lead to self -medicating. It sounds like you are staying on top of this and I am sure the physical activity helps a lot !
You sound like you still being proactive, vigilante - hang in there : )

Take care , Carly
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
Saint

Carly,

Started watching "Eat, pray, love" ....... making me smile and making me hungry.......
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
CarlyO

ME TOO ! Rented it as soon as it came out : )
The book is still soo much better but yes - the Italy part- had to make Fettuccini Alfredo !

I so wish ole' Roger would write his own story, I think it would be a good read.
Hope all is well you , take care - Carly
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Saint

Carly,

I agree, the book was so much better. You get such a deeper grasp for what the characters are thinking and feeling reading the book. 'Ole Richard certainly has some stories to tell I'm sure, lol.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully after the holidays when things settle down I'll read the next book : )

Peace,
Saint
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
sleepless

You have all got to see Blue valentine as soon as it comes out in your area. I saw it as part of the film festival, I think it's only been released in LA so far but should be coming out soon. At the time I was seeing it it was too close to home but I feel that now watching it will help me come to grips with the whole destroyed relationship. I highly recommend it!
sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to sleepless For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-21-2011), Thank You (01-17-2011)
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
CarlyO

HI Sleepless,

I am a movie buff, especially, indie, the classics and foreign films. I have read much about this film, plus I love Ryan and Michelle, both great actors. I agree it will be a tough film because it is based in REALITY not just sugar coated rom coms etc... ! I read that the writer and director wanted to do justice to the TRUTH of what Real relationships endure.
Thanks for mentioning this and in a way I can see how it can be cathartic, you have been through a lot, hang in there and have a good weekend! Take care, Carly