Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #51
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon Diane. Bright blessings to you.

A March winter wonderland.....oh my goodness....here in Blighty it is a glorious spring day. I hope i can send you the "spring" in the jumping lambs, and encourage you that yes, some days are more difficult than others, some different, but days are all the same.

R Lee and Saint have always encouraged me to live life on lifes terms. Of course i had no idea what the dear fellows were talking about. I do now.

Make me wrong, but i think it means, alot of the time things just dont happen the way they are A) supposed to happen, B) the way you want them to, and C) when you re-organise, that goes wrong as well. Brings a whle new meaning to "closing time"....does it not!?

The embelishment that sobriety allows, the sensory experience of those that would otherwise feel and be inept and bereft, (never worth forgetting), the assumption that use provided gateways into ourselves......a nonsense. I get that....but a nonsense.

"i can write better, i can play better, i can speak better, i got a better chance in life if i........", nope, like it or not, the best chance we have, and the wonders of this wonderful world lay simply in us....in our birthday suits, little us.

I once thought "alcohol would take me home", ....sobriety is teaching me i "am at home".

The trees bent in the spring wind here in Blighty. The birds were asking me to keep the noise down, the sun is now high enough to shepherd me through a chilly morning, as i walk by scurrying around me as the animals in spring..."hmmm...hmmm", go about their business in confidence, my feet plodding on 1 after the other, smiles surrounding me....now, if i had taken 1....just 1 drink....i would not have seen ANY of that.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Diane
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-06-2015), Thank You (03-07-2015)
Unread 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #52
DianeC

Beautiful words to live by, Tryn. Nature means so much to me. I have a real relationship with the natural world surrounding me. My love of animals is also a big part of who I am. So your words create a lovely painting in my heart of your natural world. Thank you. I find that when I am sober and clear my world is so much better in all ways. I can truly appreciate every minuscule area of my entire world which makes my heart, my spirit and my being sing in unison.

Have a glorious day, Tryn. You so inspire me...
DianeC is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to DianeC For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-09-2015), Thank You (03-08-2015)
Unread 03-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #53
R. Lee

Tryn, Think through that next urge to drink & you will be just fine.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-08-2015)
Unread 03-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #54
gmasusie

It's good to hear that you all are fighting the good fight. Sobriety is worth it.
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #55
iamtrying

Hi DianeC....how are you doing..
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-07-2015), Thank You (03-08-2015)
Unread 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #56
DianeC

I'm great! Thanks for inquiring. As I wrote on another post, I'm very grateful for the support I've found here. I am fortunate that so far this works for me in taking it each day. I wish you and everyone a safe, sober and wonderful weekend!
One User Says Thank You to DianeC For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-08-2015)
Unread 03-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #57
lostdog

way to go Diane!
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-08-2015), Thank You (03-08-2015)
Unread 03-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #58
Tryntryagain

Good to hear that you are getting along day by day. There is a great deal about you, you have much to look forward to. I am recently back sober again after making a bad deicsion. Before that happened i had months, (39 weeks) of sobriety. I camr to realise that it wasn't so much that sobriety made my life better, it became a completely different life altogether. At first i still had "drinking thinking", i believe it is known as a dry drunk. As time went by, my habits changed. When i went to bed, how i felt when i got up, and spending a couple of minutes a day to just .....stop......check myself, give thanks that i am here and sober, and gently life becomes "something different, something new".

The beauty that you are so eloquently aware of stops being a stranger and becomes a friend seeing you on your way. It is often said that the journey into sobriety can be harsh and extremely difficult. Indeed that can be the case, but at the same time it can be an experience that holds so much joy, so much awareness, and as this family shows, the opportunity to be amongst those in a very special place in their lives.

Alcohol snatches away the privileges that human beings should be free to enjoy. Sobriety hands them back. Where once collecting injustices was a daily grind, now the world opens up each and every day.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Diane.
Thank You (03-08-2015), Thank You (03-09-2015)
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #59
DianeC

Good morning, everyone! I'm feeling good and hopeful for a wonderful day! Weather is not as cold; the snow has melted except in the piles that were shoveled earlier, and I am looking forward to the first signs of spring. I send wishes for all to have a good day... I am continually grateful for having found this site. It has helped me keep to a healthier lifestyle where abstaining from alcohol is concerned. I've found strength here by sharing, and it amazes me that I hadn't realized before that this was an element I sorely needed. It's been a godsend.
6 Users Say Thank You to DianeC For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-20-2015)
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #60
R. Lee

Glad you are doing good Diane.
3 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-12-2015), Thank You (03-20-2015)
Unread 03-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #61
iamtrying

DianeC nice to hear from you......enjoy the spring..
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-20-2015)
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #62
gmasusie

DianeC,

I feel the same way about this forum! Good to hear from you.

Susie
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #63
Millie

I agree DianeC. Isn't this forum just a gift?!

You sound so joyful today. Glad to see that. Keep it up!
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-20-2015)
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #64
Tryntryagain

How are things for you? We haven't heard from you in a little while and i was just wondering how you were getting along. Dont forget there is always someone here!

Unread 03-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #65
lostdog

How are you doing? share as you can, would love to hear from you.. Blessings to you each day.
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #66
DianeC

Hello, all! Thanks for inquiring about me. I've been extremely busy with work and travel. I'm doing beautifully and wishing the best to everyone...
Thank You (03-22-2015), Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #67
gmasusie

Glad to hear you are doing well. Keep us posted.

Susie
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-25-2015), Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #68
R. Lee

Keep it up Diane.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #69
Saint

Glad to hear you are doing well Diane and thanks for the update. Make sobriety the most important goal. We move towards and become that which we think about!

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #70
iamtrying

Thanks DianeC and Nice to know you are doing well...have a great day!
2 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #71
DianeC

I continue to thank each of you for being so kind and caring for one another. I feel that I have found a wonderful group of real friends I can count on. This is priceless. I have been super busy lately, but I have always kept all of you in my heart and wishing sobriety for each and every one of you... including myself! I send wishes for a beautiful day, no matter the weather, for beauty is in our hearts... and you are, indeed, a beautiful group of people.
3 Users Say Thank You to DianeC For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2015), Thank You (03-24-2015), Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #72
Tryntryagain

Well i say. what a lovely, lovely post.

Over here in Blighty we have our addictions and our preceived reasons behind them. Having worked extensively around these issues for over a decade, it never fails to amaze me the usual, trotted out sterotypes, of the people and their behaviours.

For example i was always told i drank because i was down and depressed. I was told that certain feelings would bring on the need for drink. No one really took me seriously back in the day when i tried to communicate that it simply did not matter what i "felt", if i felt happy, sad, bored, energetic, whatever i felt, i wanted to drink. It was not until i recognised this, i could really address my drinking.

And so it is Diane. I feel exactly the same as you towards my brothers and sisters here. As i journey into sobriety, i have a compulsive need to share "how i am" from day to day. It if were the case that i drank when depressed i would come to the family to share when i was.

The fact is, i can drink whatever is going on for me, and to help me along my way i waflle about my day so as to prevent a "build up" of all manner of feelings. It helps me.

However that is only 1 part of the equasion. In order for it to work for me i need there to be folk from around the world who understand me and my alcoholism...because of their experiences, and to want to share and care with me.

In nearly 50 years of my existence, more supportive, astounding, eclectic, caring and loving human beings i suggest would be hard to find.

You say so graciously we are a beautiful group of people..........well that includes you. You are our group.

Thank you for such a loving post.

Thank You (03-24-2015), Thank You (03-24-2015)
Unread 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #73
Millie

I agree with you and Tryn both, and I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2015), Thank You (03-27-2015)
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #74
gmasusie

Hang in there, Diane. Touch base when you can.
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2015), Thank You (03-27-2015)
Unread 03-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #75
lostdog

You are welcome and deserve the best. It's good to be busy and doing things, have a nice day.
Thank You (03-25-2015), Thank You (03-27-2015)
Unread 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #76
Tryntryagain

I just wanted to pop by your place and ask how things are getting along for you? I just want you to know that you are my thoughts, and i am hoping that day by day things are going well.

One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-27-2015)
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #77
DianeC

Thanks, Tryn. I am doing well and I think of you every day and wish for you goodness and light in your life.
3 Users Say Thank You to DianeC For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-31-2015), Thank You (03-27-2015), Thank You (03-31-2015)
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #78
Tryntryagain

Thank you. What a lovely thing to say. I hope through us all in the family we can all shine and have goodness in our lives with the support, a day at a time.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to all.
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #79
DianeC

Dear Tryn and all... I appreciate that you, Tryn, always try to touch base with me... see that I'm okay. You are special and dear. As I wrote several days ago, I am doing so well.. stopped drinking anything February 23... nothing since and don't want anything since. My work entails that I travel. Enjoying work, travel and life. I decided to stop drinking alcohol on February 23. I've not had a drink since then. By now, I don't even miss it and I wonder why I didn't stop a while back. I am one of the fortunate ones. I stopped and it was relatively easy. Perhaps I don't belong on this site because I find it easy to stop. Even so, I think I was able to come to this conclusion through this site.

Last edited by DianeC; 03-31-2015 at 06:43 PM..
Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #80
Alexis

Im so happy you are doing well.

I was worried i didnt belong here because im not sure im strong enough to stop, or even if i want to stop right now. But i have been made welcome and i feel stronger for posting here.

I know for a fact these guys here will say to you that they want you to post here because you make it a better place. It is great to read people are doing well and it is inspiring.

Take care and keep posting your triumphs! x
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-31-2015)
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #81
DianeC

Thank you, Alexis. Your response touches me far more than you could ever know.
Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #82
R. Lee

DianeC, Thanks for checking in & to find out you are doing well.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #83
Saint

Diane,
I am glad you are doing well!

You're statement that you thought you may not belong here because quitting seemed easy for you. It reminded me how my thoughts about alcohol wavered after a long period of time sober. It went something like this : "Maybe one drink would be ok, what would it hurt". Or the mental image of a candlelight dinner with the sparkling glass of wine. It looked so safe....uuntil I thought it through. Did I really want to risk my sobriety by having one drink? Who was I kidding anyways? I knew I was an alcoholic but I wavered because that is how our brains are wired, our addictive brains. When I completely bought into the concept of remaining sober sobriety was so much easier because it became a lifestyle I chose, a lifestyle I thought through. They say alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. It is! Think through your past experiences with alcohol and then determine if your life is better sober.

Mine is!

Respectfully,
Saint
4 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-01-2015), Thank You (04-01-2015), Thank You (04-01-2015), Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #84
DianeC

Yours are words of wisdom, Saint, and I appreciate them. I am, indeed, better without any alcohol consumption at all. I just wish I had come to the conclusion I've now come to (not drinking anything at all) before now. I have analyzed my feelings and thoughts on all this. I think that for the longest time I didn't really take seriously the fact that when I had one glass it would turn into more. I believe that now that I'm in my middle years I started thinking more about health and well-being. This is when I made the decision to stop. I am determined.
Thank You (04-02-2015), Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #85
lostdog

Hi Diane just checking in to offer support and best wishes to you.
Thank You (04-01-2015), Thank You (04-01-2015)
Unread 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #86
Tryntryagain

Good evening Diane. Bright blessings to you.

I am so grateful i have your breezes brushing through my life. There was 1 part of my alcoholic journey...as these things go, where things, something someone says, "stick in your head".

As someone that knows 1 leads to as many as possible, i assumed this was the mantra. Then i met an alocholic that said they "didn't like what it made them feel like....or do".

Well Diane, that's quite ridiculous!.....errr....oh hold on.

Re Saints post, awesome.

One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-02-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #87
lostdog

Great Job on 45 days Diane! so nice to hear and hope you have a nice day!
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #88
Saint

DianeC,

I could be wrong but I think at some point most of us have regretted the years and time spent drunk. It happened, it's behind us and we can't change what was. We can however learn from our past experiences. With introspection and honesty we can learn about ourselves. What we see isn't always pretty but if we are honest we can work on changing the things about ourselves that need improving. Progress, not perfection, as the saying goes.

Sobriety is often more than just not drinking. Many of us use alcohol to selfmedicate for anxiety, depression, social pressures, etc. Sobriety has become my lifestyle so I can now learn to live life sober on life's terms. That is the hard part but also the most rewarding. Sobriety offers the opportunity for personal growth and you may also find it brings along moments of peace and fullfillment.

Saint
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-09-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #89
DianeC

Thanks, Saint. I agree with your words. I never was one to get drunk. My issue was that I drank regularly (and almost always wouldn't stop at one), for various reasons, none of which were good reasons to drink (not that there is a good reason). I didn't think that was healthy, so I made the decision to not drink at all. I feel great and in control and don't want to drink. I am lucky.

Last edited by DianeC; 04-09-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Thank You (04-09-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #90
Saint

Good to hear DianeC. Stay vigilant.

Saint
Thank You (04-09-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #91
DianeC

Thanks, Saint. That's the plan...
Unread 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #92
DianeC

I spoke too soon, perhaps, when I shared earlier that my complete medical check-up had great results. At first it looked as if everything was great, but additional tests came in today, and I need to have more tests done to see if I may have Lupus. I have no symptoms of Lupus. Someone very close in my family is a medical doctor, and he says he would be surprised if I do have it since I have no symptoms. Maybe he's just trying to keep me from worry. Anyway, when I got the news I need further testing, the first thing I thought of was to go to the wine store and get a bottle of my favorite pinot noir to ease my worry. That would have been my first choice to negate stress for twenty or so years. I didn't go to the wine store, and I didn't buy the wine. I don't want that in my life anymore. It's no answer. Right now, I need to concentrate on not allowing my imagination to run away with me, to realize that my initial testings may not be indicative of a serious health issue. My other labs and check-up indicate I am very healthy. I have to call a specialist in the morning to make a follow-up appointment to see if this is nothing or if it's something. Until then, I won't mask my worry with alcohol. I feel past that, and I am thankful for that.

I did want to respond to Tryn. Please don't be angry with me for saying this, Tryn, but I have wondered why you speak of yourself in the third person. This may indicate you are hiding from something personal and too painful to address. I have been a counselor in my career. I am not trying to diagnose on a web site, but I do see this as a possible indicator of something under the surface. Please think of this. It may be just your British way, or it may be something different. In the meantime, please internalize that you are a special and an amazing human being... one who is blessed with qualities most people can only dream of having. I send my love... as you might say, my loveness...
Thank You (04-10-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #93
lostdog

Oh Diane, my prayers are with you, thinking of you at this time and hoping so much for the best for you. Take Care.
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-09-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #94
DianeC

Thank you, Lostdog. I am trying to stay positive about it all. I've been researching all evening about the possibilities, etc. I appreciate your prayers and am grateful for them. As I mentioned earlier, I have medical people in my family, and they say to not allow myself to worry before I have all the information. I have been through quite a bit in my life, and I am no stranger to strife, so I have a background to pull upon for strength. I am not a believer. In fact, I am agnostic (more an atheist), (although I grew up in very religious environs), but I don't negate the power of any positive thinking, prayer or thinking that there are things in this world and outside this world bigger and more powerful than I. Thank you again. I do appreciate your kindness so much.
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #95
Saint

DianeC,

Sorry to hear of your potential medical issue. Easier said than done but try not to worry until you get the final results. A co-worker of mine was also initially diagnosed with lupus only to find out later on this diagnosis was incorrect. I hope that proves true for you.

We often can't control things in life that happen to us but we can control how we react to them. Congrats on thinking through that first drink. Sending good thoughts your way.

Saint
Thank You (04-09-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #96
DianeC

Thank you, Saint. Through my research, I've found that it doesn't pay to think the worst too soon. Please keep me in your thoughts. I feel empowered that I no longer think alcohol is the way to reduce stress. I attribute a lot of my feelings about this to this site and all of you. It has really helped me to communicate this issue of my abusing alcohol that I hadn't faced before I decided to come here. You have all been a god-send.
Thank You (04-10-2015)
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #97
gmasusie

DianeC

Congratulations on not drinking to drown your worry. I am thinking of you. Keep us posted.
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2015)
Unread 04-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #98
jenm

Hi DianeC!

I have a good friend who is battling a ton of medical issues, Lupus was also brought up with her. I am so glad to hear that your decision was NOT to buy the bottle of wine. What a victory! I am praying for you, my friend. Take care and let us know! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2015), Thank You (04-10-2015)
Unread 04-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #99
Alexis

wow how inspiring that you didnt get the wine!!! I will try to take your strength next time x
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2015), Thank You (04-10-2015)
Unread 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #100
DianeC

I have come to a place in my life, Alexis, that I want to feel good physically, mentally and spiritually. I mentioned earlier that I'm not religious; however, I am very spiritual. Reasons many of us drink (I think) should be addressed and dealt with, and this can be done when we make our minds up to do it. That's where I got to be when I decided that I didn't want to drink alcohol anymore. I'd toyed with that idea a little while before I made the leap. I wanted to be sure, in my mind, that I was in fact abusing alcohol. I think in our society, in America and across the water, alcohol is advertised as nothing serious to add into one's life. In fact, it's advertised as a compliment to food, fun, and strife. For a long time, I looked around me and saw that alcohol was everywhere: i.e. in restaurants, at friends' houses and at social gatherings, etc. I rarely kept it in my home, but it wasn't hard to go pick up. I've never been an addictive-type person in my life with anything, so turning to alcohol so much started bothering me as time progressed. I started to feel that I was abusing alcohol, and I decided I was. It gets easier with time to not go there... when at one time I would have. Setting goals to not drink one day at a time has led (for me) to turning completely away. I want to face life now, in good and bad times, without altering myself in any way. It feels good to know that I have power to control things. That's inebriating in itself! Life has its challenges, for sure. Right now, I'm going through one. I want to take everything one step at a time. I have not been diagnosed with anything yet. I'm going to call the specialist this morning and make my appointment for further testing to see. In the meantime, I will stay in the present; I will make choices I'm proud of, and I'll abstain from alcohol to get through. Remember to think through choices. We DO have power, Alexis. Use yours. It can be done, and you can do it.
Thank You (04-22-2015)