Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
bappy

Default When is it time to taper...

I know there has been several good posts on tapering, my post has more to do about when one should start. I really feel that I have a great dr. that knows a great deal about the disease of addiction. He asks that his patients attend NA/AA for some 12 step support, which I am doing twice a week. I enjoy the meetings, some are better than others. I have been on SUB since mid Dec. 2007 (6 weeks or more - and I am on what I started on 12mg/day. I was coming off a 12 year methadone addiction (clinic) on an avg to low dose (40mg). He asked during my last visit, if I felt I was ready to start tapering. He felt if I just kept on trucking on the current dose, that I would just begin to be dependent on the SUB. I understand on one hand how he feels, but I also a bit reluctant about changing anything, yet, I don't want to have a lot of issues trying to come off of SUB. Could anyone advise me on the proper path to take. I know it is an individual experience. Maybe I need to hear what others have done, as far as time-tables.

Thanks.

Bappy
bappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi bappy, is your doctor talking about starting you to taper completely off, or wanting to see if a lower dose will be just as effective as the 12mg you're currently taking?

There's no evidence saying that the longer one is a bupe patient, the more difficult it is to taper off.
Don't know if this will help, but here's a thread with a bunch of people's stories who tapered off.
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5324
Do what you feel is right for you at the present time.

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Douglas

bappy,

When coming off methadone, I would stay on Suboxone for at least 8 - 12 months and then taper.

It's my own gut feeling. I've detoxed from methadone several times in my life and it takes a while to get your brain right.

12 years is a long time. 12 months is 1/12 of that. Methadone is a mean son of a gun. I hate it. I think it should be taken off the market. There are some very good pain relievers on the market, and just cause methadone is cheap physicians prescribe it.

Give the Suboxone awhile. If you taper too quick, the methadone detox will just kick in again. IMO

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
bappy

NancyB

When I first started with the DR. I didn't have any knowledge of SUB or how long the average stay on the drug usually is. I ask him how long would it take for me to detox off the SUB, in his opinion, his answer was usually 6-9 months, and he added, "It depends on how long you want to be on it". So, I am just going to take it day by day, week by week. I guess I was under the impression that the longer I stayed on it, the harder it would be to get off. But the more I learn about it, this seems to not be the case.

Thanks.

Bappy
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
bappy

Douglas,

if you don't mind my asking, what is/was your experience with SUB, and where do you stand now? I know when I first made the switch from 'DONE, I had some serious doubts if SUB was going to work, it took a good month for me to get stabilized.

Thanks for your response.

Bappy