Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
dogwrestler14

Default needing support

hi, this is my first time on this form. im not ready to go to face to face meetings yet! i saw the brochure for addiction survivors in the hospital when i went in for a mental crisis (getting the brochure was the only good thing that came out of the visit) horrible experience i have tried to do it on my own a few times but keep back sliding, so in a promise to the most wonderful man in the world, im here, trying to get some help.
dogwrestler14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
dogwrestler14

Thumbs up needing support

hi, im new to the forum, so not real sure where to go. I found a brochure for the site at the hospital when my boyfriend took me in for a little mental crisis (worst hospital experience ever) i dont think im ready to go to face to face meetings, but in a promise to the most wonderful man in the world, im on here, trying to get some help!
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

HI dogwrestler14, welcome. Are you going to a therapist at all? Are you still taking stimulants of some kind? If you wouldn't mind telling us a little about yourself, we'll try to make suggestions. But if you're not comfortable with that, then we'll support you in any we can.

Let us know how you're doing. Again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
dogwrestler14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
HI dogwrestler14, welcome. Are you going to a therapist at all? Are you still taking stimulants of some kind? If you wouldn't mind telling us a little about yourself, we'll try to make suggestions. But if you're not comfortable with that, then we'll support you in any we can.

Let us know how you're doing. Again, welcome.

Nancy
thanks for your response, Nancy. i am not seeing a therapist at this time, this is actually the first step i have taken to get any kind of help other than the horrific hospital experience i had earlier in the week! i quite cold turkey on the meth use, this is not the first time ive tried to do that< but i do have an alcohol problem also, which i am trying to keep a handle on< but there is so much going on in my life right now and sometimes its very difficult to handle! I am in a very loving relationship right now and he tries to understand, but never experimenting with anything himself, its kinda hard for him to relate! ive been an addict for about 9 years and so is my soon to be ex-husband. we were married for 20 years and of course the meth use destroyed our marriage, family, and has driven us into bankruptcy. we have 2 teenagers and our eldest is graduating high school this year. She got married in march and is moving to kansas mid-june to be with here husband who is in the military! Im upset that she is leaving, she is my best friend, but understand her need to go and wanting to get away from all the mess that has been created here. well thats a little bit about myself. i could right a book!
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
sleepless

You've found a good place, lot's of anonomity and unconditional support. These faceless people take you for who you are right now and guide you toward the person you want to become. There's no judgement and no shame for failed attempts of sobriety. I wish you strength and the strength to trust these selfless people to help you...seems they have all "been there", what better support could you ever hope for?
sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi dogwrestler14, taking the first step is huge! With everything going on in your life, it might be a good idea to look into therapy. It can just help to have an unbiased third party to speak with and get ideas on how to handle different situations.

As for the alcohol, we also have an alcohol forum that might be beneficial also:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=64
Depending on how much you're drinking, you may not be able to stop cold turkey because alcohol withdrawals can be life threatening. Here's some more info on them:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm
A doctor may be able to help you with medication that could work for you. Here are some different ones:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
dogwrestler14

thanks nancy!!
today is going oki. working on my girls graduation scrapbok, so my mind s keeping busy!!! i amgoing to def check into therapy. the soon to be ex goes now and has said its helpful. tired of trying to do this on my own!!
and i will look into the alcoholpages. def not ready or quite willing to give up drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi dogwrestler14, taking the first step is huge! With everything going on in your life, it might be a good idea to look into therapy. It can just help to have an unbiased third party to speak with and get ideas on how to handle different situations.

As for the alcohol, we also have an alcohol forum that might be beneficial also:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=64
Depending on how much you're drinking, you may not be able to stop cold turkey because alcohol withdrawals can be life threatening. Here's some more info on them:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm
A doctor may be able to help you with medication that could work for you. Here are some different ones:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi dogwrestler14, good to hear yesterday was going ok. Keeping busy will be a huge help so you're not dwelling on any specific thoughts. I'm glad to hear you're going to look into therapy. It can be so helpful, especially when you hire the right therapist. Notice I said 'hire'. You are paying this person to work for you, so don't feel shy about interviewing different ones to find out how they work. Sometimes it can take a going to a couple of different ones before you find your fit.

As for the alcohol links, at least you'll know where you can explore options when you're ready to stop or cut down.

One step at a time! : )

Nancy
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
godbtheglory

Smile Grateful

I am new to the forum, but not new to ups and downs, ins and outs of our problem and all that comes with them. I hope you are still seeking support and honest openminded change in your life. If you just take it a minute, hour and eventually a day at a time life will begin to become funtionable again without the aide of any thing or anyone to help you cope. Having a mental crisis is our brains way of saying that it has had enough of the wrong thing. It often goes hand and hand with our misuse of substances so dont by any means be embarrased or angry about that. Seeking help for it is a good thing, it gives you access to various types of support. Including information on treatment facilities and maintenance drug options. I hope by now you have mustered up the courage to go to a meeting although I must say that they are not for everybody, but they do help most people who attend them and get involved on a regular steady basis meaning job, family, social life, along with meetings and a God of your understanding. Just beware of substituting other things for your addiction, like food, men, and other obsessions. I live by everything I just mentioned and now with 2 un-interruped years without substances. I am just beginning to regain hope and see a promising future for myself: with continual positive change. After many many years of trying to get it right but making the same non productive mistakes I always ended up back at the beginning, wondering how did I get here again. I finally learned with the help of theorapist, substance abuse counselor, family support, meeting, prayer and a lot of honest internalizing, acceptance and letting go, I have put my past behind me and live my life looking forward to every new tomorrow. Because whether my day turns out good or bad I'll survive and either learn from it or grow because of it. That is why today I am so very Grateful. And if you give yourself a chance you can be at peace with yourself to.
godbtheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to godbtheglory For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-11-2012)
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
godbtheglory

Support is all we need, the rest is up to us. No thanks need, I'm glad my post reached someone. Because it sure does help me. -- Grateful
godbtheglory is offline   Reply With Quote