Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Larrylive

Default recoveredcrackhead

ya that's me, just your common run-o-the-mill recovered crackhead. And if your reading this, most likely you are too, or atleast wishing you were. It's a lot of work that I wish I could have avoided. Took me nearly 10yrs to get 7 months clean, friggin crack. And now I wish to spread the word. There is hope and I am proof.
I look forward to sharing stories with all concerned. Till then, may God be with you.

Regards,
Larrylive

PS; How can I get my own avatar uploaded...or not
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Larrylive, welcome! Congratulations on putting your addiction into remission!

We just have the 'stock' avatars here, so there's no custom ones.

I'm glad you found us, and hopefully things will pick up a bit more so you can be an inspiration to others.

Again, welcome!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
CarlyO

Welcome Larrylive,
Congrats on your remission !
I hope you might share your story, some people read , maybe not ready to get help, but reading other people's experiences can often plant a seed, give someone who is struggling HOPE ! Or even help a family member/loved one insight.

Glad you are here, take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
rebeccaserene2009

Hello Larry from another recovered crackhead! I have a little over two and a half years clean and sometimes it feels like yesterday and sometimes it feels like years ago. My question here is that many people have asked me why I am not a sponsor. Well the only way I can answer that is that I didn't do recovery the "conventional" way. I started in a faith-based treatment center for 3 months, but I really didnt do the classes. I just worked and used the space as a place to get centered. At the 3 month mark I had to move home because my mom had been diagnosed with lung cancer about 6 months beforehand. I moved home to help my dad with her and be her full-time caregiver. I knew that day was coming I just didn't know when it would be. I took care of my mom and basically my meetings were church. You see I had tried for about 20yrs. to get clean and sober on my own terms and failed miserably time after time. God was the only way I was able to get clean and sober and stay that way. Hence the unconventional recovery method.

People who are big into NA, AA, etc. tend to think that my recovery is not a "true" recovery. How should I handle those people? Any advice would be helpful. TIA!

RebeccaSerene2009
rebeccaserene2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to rebeccaserene2009 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-27-2011), Thank You (11-14-2011), Thank You (08-29-2011)
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Rebeccaserene2009,

During early recovery, I often heard people telling others to "work your own program." I recall a very die-hard N/A sponsor whose mantra was literally "work the steps or die."

"True recovery," this is something that only you can define...because it's yours and belongs to no one else. Sure, others can compare how they got recovery to how you did...but the reality is what works for one may not necessarily work for others.

How to handle these people who judge your recovery as untrue? I suppose if I were in your shoes, I'd dismiss their judgment as their own insecurities. And remind myself of a favorite saying..."keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you're getting."

AA/NA are essential for some; helpful for others, and some are able to make the journey that recovery is without the rooms. As for myself, it saved my life when I was getting clean. The very last time I hit the pipe happened to be in a tent at an NA camp-out. I clung to NA for the first 4 years of my recovery.

Today, at 9 years clean, I haven't been to a meeting in months. I go occasionally. I can't say I'm working the steps. I don't have a sponsor. But I am living life on life's terms, turning my will over to God, and living clean and sober, one day at a time.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Have an awesome, dopeless day,

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Larrylive

Just passing through....want to say it or I am still working.
Currently attending college for Chemical Dependancy Counseling.
Life is good and it is getting better everyday.

Larry
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
stp747

Great to hear Larry, keep it up and good luck to you! Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
CarlyO

Dear Larry ,

Wow this is such great news!! Thanks for posting an update and keep up the good work! Take Care, Carly
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2011)
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
wormichael

Default new to this site

Hello my name is michael I am 33 years old and have 13 days clean. I been using most of my life, but this past year i started smoking crack. And it was all down hill from there. I am still having pretty strong cravings. Any suggestions to get through these cravings other than will power alone?????
wormichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
CarlyO

DearWmicheal,

Congrats on taking the steps to face your addiction. Cravings can be so strong and if you are struggling my suggestion would to try CA , NA or other programs, here are some links to try , check them out, keep an open mind. Read the other stories hereDHF has an amazing story as well as others here. There is always professional help, counseling .

Hang in there, keep us posted, keep talking venting about it.

Celebrate Recovery
Christian-based recovery meetings.
http://www.celebraterecovery.com/

LifeRing
A non-religious self-help recovery organization for individuals who seek group support to achieve abstinence from alcohol and other addictive drugs.
http://www.unhooked.com/index.htm

Smart Recovery®
Self Management and Recovery Training. Based on ever-evolving scientific knowledge.
http://www.smartrecovery.org/

Secular Organizations for Sobriety
Self-empowerment approach to recovery.
http://www.cfiwest.org/sos/index.htm

You can also see if your state offers any assistance:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...ohol-links.cfm

There are also clinical trials going on for different medications for cocaine addiction. Go to this link and then put cocaine and your city or state in the search box:
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/
The trials are free and you get great care and oftentimes therapy too
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
alanw

Crack is no joke, im glad i never slid down that hill of shit!!! Regardless of the d.o.c good job!!! Stay straight!
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
CarlyO

Dear wormichael,

How are you doing ?? I hope you will start your own thread so others can see it and post. Did any of the links help ? How are the cravings? You can do this , YOU CAN, read Dopeless Hope Fiend's story, I wish there was some type of medicine for cravings, there are those clinical trials, it may be worth a try ?? Just don't give up Please !!

Would like to to see a post from you , take care , Carly
Unread 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
CarlyO

Hi Larry,
How are your classes going? How are you ? I think it is awesome that you are doing this, believe me, I went to countless "rehabs" and I related best to the counselors who had been there /done that, plus they don't buy my manipulations. Hang in there, helping people can be such a good feeling, good luck and shoot us a post ! Take care, Carly
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Larrylive

I should come around more often, but school and the "wife" take alot of my time.

This semester is over and I did fairly well for a recoveredcrackhead.
Phychology, Sociology, Human Services....A's
Statistics.?????... hopin a C

Hope you are doing as well in your endeavor's.

LArry
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Larrylive

It's a start for Mr. Wormichael, posting once a year, I must admit that was how I started my recovery. (I belong to all the forums now ) It's the knowing that eventually becomes action that get's us where we need to be.

Larry
Unread 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
CarlyO

Congrats Larry so glad things are going well.

Statistics, that was tough for me, I was thrillied with a C : )

Most importantly is that you have put your disease in remission, have a great holiday and update when you can. Take care, Carly
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Larrylive

The Journey continues.....

Mid Terms for this recoveredcrackhead....

Alclsm/Subst Abuse Counslr....B
Human Life Science 1............B
Chemical Dependencies..........B
Eval/Meas-Beh Sci................A
Aerobic Fitness.....................A
Tai Chi................................A

Things are looking better everyday, Thanks be to God.

Regards,
Larry
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
CarlyO

Dear Larry,
Big congrats and thanks for the update. It is great to see people in recovery / addiction remission succeed in life and reach their goals. May you continue to well on your journey and always stay vigilante. Keep us posted and take care, Carly
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Larry, what a fabulous report! That's really impressive and exciting.

Keep up the great work and thanks for letting us know!

Nancy
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Larrylive

Semester # 4 and now internet at home....life is good.

Larry
Thank You (02-05-2013)
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Larry, so good to hear! Great job!!

Nancy
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Larrylive

Recovery coaching is a new way of looking at addiction and recovery that focuses on working with the recoveree where he is at. It was developed by the Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery (CCAR) in 2008 and since then, more than 2,500 addiction counselors and others have enrolled in Recovery Coach training. CCAR has found that when recoverees participate in coaching after in- or out-patient treatment, their rates of relapse decline several-fold compared with recoverees who don't. In 2013, City of Angels introduced the 30-hour CCAR Recovery Coach training, and will run two more classes during the year. For more details about the class and this approach to maintaining recovery: http://www.cityofangelsnj.org/recov...overycoach.html
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Larrylive

Spent Oct in Jail.
My crackhead ex-fiance and the crackhead upstairs conspired to have this party pooper removed.
Had to withdraw from school and a whole host of other mis-givings.
Neary a resentment tho'. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

That said, my new outlook, my new mantra and my new journal..."It takes a lifetime"

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, as wisdom is gained from experience.

I just started reading (again) Og Mandino's Greatest Salesman in the World .

The scroll marked #1
"Today I begin a new life.
Today I shed my old skin, which hath, too long, suffered the bruises of failure and the wounds of mediocrity.
Today I am born anew and my birthplace is a vineyard where there is fruit for all.
Today I will pluck grapes of wisdom from the tallest and fullest vines in the
vineyard, for these were planted by the wisest of my profession who have come before me, generation upon generation.
Today I will savor the taste of grapes from these vines and verily I will swallow the seed of success buried in each and new life will sprout within me.
The career I have chosen is laden with opportunity yet it is fraught with heartbreak and despair and the bodies of those who have failed, were they piled one atop another, would cast its shadow down upon all the pyramids of the earth.
Yet I will not fail, as the others, for in my hands I now hold the charts, which will guide me through perilous waters to shores, which only yesterday seemed but a dream."

Be Well,
Larry
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Larry, sorry to hear of your troubles. Glad you're out. But mostly, really very impressed with your overall attitude. You're so right, it does indeed take a lifetime.

Thanks for a great post! Take good care.

Nancy
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Larrylive

well this recoveredcrackhead is progressing back into society. Back in Feb. I was forced to volunteer for a local charitable organization. 6 weeks later I was hired (part-time) to drive the delivery truck. I now have money in the bank, (a checking account). I am also awaiting word on if this is going to become full time. The pastor of my church has also been kind enough to hire me to mow the lawn. God is good.

Be well,
Larry
Unread 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
Larrylive

Milestones.....
I have just made my finally payment for restitution..$545.00, in 9 days the judge will release me from probation. Who would have thought that this recoveredcrackhead could amass such a sum without running straight to the dealer? And my P.O. gave me a urine test. I mean really? if I had been using I would not have had the money. Some people have no understanding how (my) addiction worked.
Stranger still is the thought that exactly one year ago I was sitting in jail on a trumped up charge which changed the course of my life, yet again.
But now, I work full time for a charitable orginization. I am active in the recovery world, striving to spread the message of hope. But most of all, I am involved with my daughters. Helping my youngest improve her new house, for which I was invited to the house warming party over the weekend. (Even talked with my ex)
God is good and I benefit of the grace just for saying so.
Be Well,
Larry
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #27
Perkinstein

hi guys im glad to hear yout story. im happy for all of you. keep it up.
Perkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #28
Larrylive

Just bumping,
Sorry I missed you.
Stay in touch.

Be Well
Larry