Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Irvine

Default Please help...thank you!

Hi,

I want to know if anyone has ever had a problem/addiction with ephedrine. I have found myself taking 15-18 pills at a time for the mood change and energy boost. I do this a couple of times per day and I have to go to many different pharmacies to support this behavior. If I don't take it I am so dead tired I could sleep for a full day...it's like I'm walking through 6 feet of mud. It makes me irritable and I think I'm an addict...but I didn't think this drug was addictive..?? or am I wrong?? Might I be dealing with addiction?? I was thinking about checking out NA but was thinking they deal with hard drugs...and I might not belong. Thoughts? Opinions? Help....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Irvine, addiction is behavior - uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. It really doesn't matter the substance or even the action - some people are addicted to food. Some people are addicted to gambling. It sounds like you are addicted to ephedrine because you're misusing it.

Do you have a doctor you can talk with about it? Ephedrine can be a very dangerous, especially in large amounts. When you look at it, people become addicted to methamphetamine and ephedrine is in meth.

Go to NA, see how it works for you. Here's the link to find a meeting:
http://www.na.org/?ID=home-content-fm

Or you could try Cocaine Anonymous:
http://www.ca.org/

Also think about finding a therapist to help you. Perhaps a therapist specializing in CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) may be a good start - to help in changing your addictive behaviors.

Hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
julie48

Irvine: Nancy said it all. This definitely can be very dangerous. Please go for help. I was addicted to cocaine for 15 years and have been clean for almost 13 years now. I suffered a mild heart attack and a mini stroke due to high consumption of cocaine which also make you speedy and can blow your heart out.
I am mainly on the opiate forum due to becoming addicted to prescribed pain meds, which I have been off of for three years now, but I will always remember what I went through and I work at paying it forward to help and listen to other addicts, not only here of course, but in my life off the internet. I will be looking for your posts to see how you are doing. I hope to see you back.....this is a great place to start!!! Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Irvine

Thank you both so much for your replies. So you think NA would be a good fit? I will check it out. I just don't want to disrespect because ephedrine maybe isn't a "hard drug"...or maybe it is and I'm kidding myself...I don't think I trust my own judgement...and that is why I'm reaching out. Thank you again so much!
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
julie48

Hard drug, not a hard drug, doesn't matter, if you are compulsively using it, and need help stopping, you are in the right place. What you are taking is very dangerous and you need help. No one will judge because of your DOC (drug of choice). Please keep reaching out, NA is a good place to start. The first step is:
"Admitting we were powerless over drugs and that our lives have become unmanageable". It sounds as if you are taking your first step right now!! Remember, an unmanageable life consists of many things, including your mental health. God Bless and keep posting. Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Irvine

I have checked out NA. I am starting to realize there is no reason I should even be alive right now with all the substances I've taken...though mostly its ephedrine and marijuana so it is easy for me to write off as no big deal. I will keep working on this, I think this might be denial? Or maybe I'm overreacting and I'm not an addict...I keep going back and forth...confused, but I will keep posting and keep looking deeper. Thank you all.
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Irvine, since you're not sure how you feel - vacillating between denial and overreacting, think about going to see an addiction counselor to help you sort things out.

There are other support groups if you feel NA isn't a fit. Cocaine Anonymous, SMART Recovery, Celebrate Recovery, LifeRing, Secular Organizations for Sobriety are a few different ones you might look into.

Just remember what addiction is - uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. It sounds as though you can't stop and the consequences are negative and could be very dangerous.

Please be careful and take care.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote