Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #51
toms

Most street-users who buy suboxone that I know of buy it simply to avoid withdrawals temporarily, because they're cut off from their source.

I've taken a number of OTC meds while on suboxone and never had any sort of negative reaction. Of course, the ones I choose are ones I've discussed with my docs or had prescribed before they became available OTC. Asking one's doc, "what should I take if...." is something that should be routine for anyone. Even if you haven't, how difficult is picking up a phone? As to nodding off, many people react that way to cold medications, no matter what they're taking. If someone is nodding off in meetings, its most likely the culprit is something besides methadone or suboxone!
Thank You (06-18-2010)
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #52
joegeeusa

Thanks both Mike and Tom! Have great weekends both of you!

-Joe
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #53
joegeeusa

Oh, and my own experience dealing with stigma of a different sort, but still, stigma: preconceived ideas and a misinterpretation of traditions. I'm an addict who got clean in AA. I love AA and owe it a deep debt of gratitude, because members like me identified me and pulled me aside.

Through the love and guidance of these members I learned how to work the steps from the Big Book and how to read it and adapt it to my problem. These members shared with me how to relate my disease to alcoholism, and they taught me how to defend my story, which is mine and belongs to no other person at the meeting. Here are a few of the things they shared with me, which may apply here:

First of all they told me to always try to find an "open" AA meeting first. Open meetings tend to be more loose in adherence to the customs of AA. Closed meetings can be rough places some times, but if I need a meeting, I can always go to a closed meeting and "pass" when it comes time to share.

Second, they told me to read the longest form of the Third Tradition, which is in the 12 & 12. They told me to pay special attention to the "strange alcoholic." That's also a good chapter for any of us who differ in other ways from being a white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant, although the language is out-dated, and a little harsh-sounding to modern ears.

Third, they told me that I could claim a seat at any AA meeting because I more than qualified through the things I sacrificed in the name of my disease. No one had or has the right to deny me a seat. Back to that longest form of the Third Tradition, "what would the Maker do?"

Fourth they showed me in the Big Book the many different places where the use of drugs is mentioned, including Bill's Story where he speaks of using sedatives.

Fifth, they helped me find confidence in myself to stand up for myself, so when some crusty old fossil came up to me and said something like "I spilled more on my tie than you ever drank" I could respond with a smart-ass comment like "I'm sorry you were such a sloppy drinker. I never wasted a drop."

I never added those folks to my amends list , but the problem wasn't in my head, it was in theirs. I learned that other peoples' problems with what I say or what I do in recovery / sobriety almost always reflect more on them than me. I don't have to own what's not mine.

It's sad to say, but the people who gave me problems when I first started coming around aren't around themselves any more. We either change, or we die, even among our traditions nazis.

Don't let anyone or anything keep you from getting to a meeting if you need one. You wouldn't have let anyone or anything stand in the way of getting your fix ...

In peace and love,

-Joe G.

Last edited by joegeeusa; 06-18-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Misspelling ...
joegeeusa is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to joegeeusa For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-21-2010)
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #54
Julestime2live

It looks like this thread hasn't been active since June 18th, I'm hoping we can reactivate it since I need this thread.

Yesterday I went to my first NA meeting, I was anxious to go and get that first one under my belt, well it was a disaster. First, I got the strong opinion that "drug free" meant any drug including Buprenorphine > Suboxone or Subenex.

I am currently on Subenex, today is my 6th day in recovery. Now I know what stigma means! I was uncomfortable when they were asking the group how long they had been clean, you know for the pin thing. See I have been struggling with the "clean" thing. I haven't been able to say I am clean for even a day because I am on the Subenex and it makes me feel like I am on a drug. I remember seeing a post in this thread asking if Sub makes you high because they had heard people were looking to buy scripts to get high. I think in the beginning it does and I am hoping that once I stabilize that feeling will go away. It's funny as much as I loved my pills and even up to going to get my first dose of Sub I knew I would miss it I don't like the feeling I have on the Sub. I know I need to get better, drug abuse ruined my life and I want my life back.

I was looking forward to NA meetings and getting involved in the program, maybe long term being able to help other people but after yesterday's experience I don't know if I will go back.

The second thing that happened; I need to find a group of people I can trust and the NA message is helping the newcomer, right? Back in February I took a new job and had some head bumping with a co-worker, after the head bumping we decided we would become friends, she was not shy about sharing she was in recovery, 5 years, opiates, had been arrested and forced into recovery. So I shared with her my problem and she seems to care and want to help. She told me about the NA program and invited me to a meeting. At the time I wasn't ready but knew I needed to get there. I was trying to taper and detox on my own. One day I shared with her that I had only taken two pills that day, she responded with "but you took pills". So, as much as I was pleased that I was trying she wasn't and felt I should be completly off of them. I had been using for 10 years, come on. Anyway, in June, she got me fired from my job. We had gotten into a conflict, disagreement, and after she left my office, with what I thought was a closed door, I said something to myself, that she overheard. The next day my boss called me into the office and fired me for using abusive language towards a co worker. Now she could only do this because they were looking for a reason to let me go anyway because they couldnt afford to pay my salary, I had already had issues with them when it came to compensation. And the fact she was the best friend of the GM / Owner's wife didn't help either. I remember her saying she went to meeting 4-5 times a week in another town, I didn't go to that meeting on purpose. Well she showed up last night, a half hour late, and when I saw her I just got up and walked out of the meeting. I need to know I can trust the people in the meeting and that they sincerely want to help fellow addicts.

So, now I don't know if I want to go to any NA meeting, partly because I couldn't be sure she wouldn't show up and partly because of the uncomfortable feeling I got about being on the Sub.

I didn't post this for answers, I think I just want to start a conversation about NA meetings and perhaps bringing it out in the open to NA. They need to have some balance to their policy. Sub therepy is here and is helping a lot of people if NA is all about helping the addict with their recovery don't you think they would want to support a program that is helping so many people?
Julestime2live is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Julestime2live For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2015)
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #55
toms

NA has some archaic notions about recovery, but it has been that way for a long time and is unlikely to change anytime soon. Of course, different groups have different "flavors", as do different meetings within the same group. This is why standard early-sobriety advice is for the newcomer to attend as many meetings as possible. Those of us on methadone or bupe are focused on those forms of treatment, but the majority are not, and it is rarely mentioned unless someone chooses to bring it up.

NA meetings tend to be quite ritualized, but no one is compelled to reveal their medical history or qualify their sobriety. The only way anyone will know this sort of thing is if a member chooses it to be so. The notion that using bupe or methadone is "trading one addiction for another" is rubbish that has been long disproved. *We* know better, but since all we can change is ourselves, we simply accept that, wrong as it is, their policies are their own and they are entitled to them. These problems aren't limited to bupe and methadone....there are many windbags that have told other members, "you don't need that" for all sorts of medications, sometimes with fatal results. I've always liked the analogy that, I as a newcomer, would never even think of telling a group what medications I take for my blood pressure, or in what dose, so why would I do so with buprenorphine?
Thank You (07-25-2010)
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #56
Julestime2live

Toms thank you for your reply. So you are an NA member, but feel differently then the majority of members? I am so thankful for Addiction Survivors. Everyday I log on and read posts that mean something to me and I get a lot out of them. This trying time in my life would probably be impossible without this site and members like you, and Nancy just to name two that have directly affected my recovery. I wish I could recall everyone that has posted something I've read!
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #57
toms

Actually, no....AA is my group. I have attended a lot of NA, all before my years on ORT, but have always preferred AA. I know their stance can make you uncomfortable, I assume newbies on suboxone feel as though a flashing light says, "I'm on suboxone!". The fact of the matter is that no one will know unless you tell them, and that information is none of their business. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using, so we all qualify. All the stuff that often happens in meetings: stating clean time, introducing oneself every time you open your mouth (Once at a meeting, I had introduced myself and said something. Later, someone asked me something, and when I started to answer, this jackass rudely interrupted and said, "who are you??") is just group rituals and not really part of the program.

Finding a group you really like is an important part of recovery. Everyone has different tastes. I prefer informal groups with less people, ones that really try to make everyone feel welcome. Some seem to like rigid ways of doing things....reading "How It Works" every time, doing step studies on the final meeting of the month, etc. I have seen people practically go to pieces over deviations, get all dramatic and walk out, etc. Once you make a few friends, have a chance to chat before or after a meeting, join someone to try a new meeting, things will become much easier.

One thing that helped me is when a good friend told me that whenever you see or hear something going on that angers or upsets you, just relax because you're not alone. Later on, you'll look back at some of your early concerns and laugh!
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #58
Want2BFree

Default Hey I'd like to get in on this too!

Hi Julestime2live

I'd like to learn how to work on this step too....I have never been to a meeting, no not true, I did a few years ago, but hated them...I hated the starting with Hi I'm Deb & an addict....I wanted to say I'm Deb, more than an addict...maybe because I had lived 49 years straight before becomign an addict so I still knew in my head what livng clean was all about..but then years went by, and I became very isolated with disease...now I'm 56 and Now I can say I am an addict...gee wish I didn't have to learn everythign the hard way...

But I want to do these steps...teh first 3 I read I agree with, so this #4 seems like one to have to get my teeth into...but I don't have a clue where to start...moral inventory...man that's hard, becaue I started doing things, that I would actually deny to myself...I went to see a counsellor once and couldn't even admit to what I wanted to talk to them about...it was like I split the addict off, and since I looked the same as i did before I knew how to pretend everythign was okay...but inside Iw as slowly dieing...I hurt may daughter so much...especially my youngest Laura,,, she listened to me cry....she is the one that fell on me that injured my knee that started the whole pill thing...Iknow she carries a burden..not matter how much I say it wasn't her fault, she needs to see her mom totally well....I have to get honest....Inever use toneed pills, and I pray I can again without them...so far 50 days today, so I feel confident I will succeed...

Just wanted to introduce myself, and get any help in starting the 4th step...Can we get a sponsor through this site? I don't know how it works so bear with me please....

I'm Atlantic time so I'm ahead of the rest time wise so if I dont' come back until tomorrow know it's just that it's getting late...and I'm computered out for the day...

Tomorrow is my 57th birthday, and on my 50th birthday I remember my sister and fher husband came for a visit, and I told her, "I think I'm getting addicted to these pills".... She didn't say a thing...I've held so much resentment towards her, because it wasn't just that time it was several times I cried out to her for help...She lives in Toronto and I'm in NS so I know the distance didn't help...but I can't blame anyone else anymore...

I want to get this right...

W2BF
Want2BFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #59
OhioMike

Quote:
Just wanted to introduce myself, and get any help in starting the 4th step...Can we get a sponsor through this site? I don't know how it works so bear with me please....

Hi W2BF ....... It is very hard to use a sponsor in the best way over the computer (but it can be done) and we set this folder up to help people understand the steps, find ways to utilize them in their recovery plans and to help answer questions, without the stigma or negative bias which comes with medication and/or the God issue!

However, with that said, I'm sure that Tom's, myself, Angela and others would be more than happy to help you in anyway we can with the 4th step.

So the answer to your question is yes and no! lol ........ soory, I hope this is coming out right and not confusing you.

Have you worked the first 3 steps already?

& ........ Please try this, post in the 4th step thread and then your efforts on the 4th step won't get lost in with other comments, about other things and people can follow along with you better.

Anything we can do to help, we will.

Mike
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #60
toms

I have heard of the occasional member (say they live in Alaska) that have to use a computer sponsor, but that is an exception. Starting out, you first want to try a lot of meetings in order to identify some where you feel comfortable. By "comfortable", I kind of mean that you are OK with being there. Next, look fpr a "home group", which is sort of a loose decision to try to attend that group regularly. As you begin meeting people, you can start to think of getting a sponsor. That is a simple thing, but not very easy.

When you look for a sponsor, you are NOT looking for a best friend. Your sponsor may become a best friend, but you want someone, 1) of the same sex, 2) someone comfortable in their sobriety (they should have a sponsor themselves), 3) someone not afraid to be honest. When you ask someone to be your sponsor, you are kind of asking them to mentor you in the program. Talk to them about their style. Some may be rigid, expect you to do assignments, expect you to attend so many meetings, etc. Others may be very easy-going.

Getting a home group and/or a sponsor involves letting down your guard and making a commitment to sobriety. The more you let people into your life, the more they will be able to help you. This can be very frightening, and your addict self is bound to resist. We tell ourselves, "I'm just not like that, I don't have time, I can't do it". There is no time limit on getting this done....but we must work on it. There are LOTS of folks who are "getting ready to do this" for years (they're often ones who complain the program doesn't work!.)

A sponsor may be just what you need for assistance with Step 4. I used to hear that, if you have trouble with a given step, it is very likely that you need to work on the previous one. Many others are in just the same boat, try talking to others or bring it up as a meeting topic. Letting people know you are looking at this issue will be very helpful. You can learn who is willing to accept a sponsee, their expectations, their suggestion.

Never get the idea that any one person is "king of AA"or "Professor AA" My first guy was a real old-timer and he REALLY stressed the notion that a good sponsor must also have a sponsor!
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #61
Julestime2live

Hello W2BF, Sorry for the delay in my response, I think I needed to take a break from the computer for a couple of days. I have logged on a few times but just to read, no posting. But, I wanted you to know I have read your post.

There are so many people on this site that will help you with whatever challange you may be facing. Without this site I don't think I would be on day 11 in my recovery.

The one NA meeting I went to has been my only NA meeting and when I hear talk about the steps I am lost. I guess I haven't even started "step 1" since I don't know what it is. I haven't taken the time to do research on the steps and honestly I have no desire to. My experience with NA totally turned me off to it. Not just the "stigma" but just the whole process. It seemed boring and so inactive even if I didn't feel tired I could just fall asleep. Besides I could barely hear what was being read in that packet because it seemed everyone who read wanted to wisper. If your going to read make sure everyone can hear you! Honestly I think everyone in that meeting saw that I got upset and walked out but noone, even though after the meeting ended I was standing outside waiting for my ride, came over to talk to me. So I guess the newbe isn't so important after all.

I know what is going to be posted next, not all meetings are the same, right?

I may just be in a slump in my recovery. I have been having a lot of cravings and it is bothering me. I haven't nor will I start to seek out my DOC, but it is getting on my nerves. And I still don't feel happy. I feel like I am just walking through my day with no emotion. I miss the way my DOC made me feel, even if it wasn't my real feelings because it was the drug making me feel that way at least I was feeling something.

I'm going to talk to my doctor today and let her know about the cravings. She may want me to increase my dose, which I have mixed feelings about. When I change my dose I get really tired and all I want to do is sleep. I never took naps during the day and now I find that around 3 o'clock I need to take a nap, even at my current dose, 2 mg in the am and 4 mg in the early evening. So an increase is going to take time to get used to, at least a few days.

I got off subject, sorry.

W2BF Good Luck in your recovery! You seem to have a great attitude about it and you are in the right place for help.

Jules
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #62
toms

The steps originated in AA. Do you have a library? Most have the Big Book and 12 & 12, both of which contain the best writing on the subject their is. Try not to let a negative experience at an NA meeting color your judgment. Even if you don't have a library, those books are well-worth buying. They are available dirt cheap, and most meetings have extra copies. If you don't have to money, someone will give you one if you ask. You can probably read them online, too. People in very remote areas are accommodated, too.

You shouldn't be having cravings if your dose is correct. Most people quickly acclimate to dose changes. Working through the changes needed to stabilize you isn't dangerous, but cravings can be!
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #63
Julestime2live

Thank you Toms, Didn't mean to be so negative earlier today. I was just having a moment I guess. I try to be positive in every situation and or experience. Sometimes this addiction and recovery just gets the best of me.

I spoke to my doctor and she increased my dosage to a total of 8mg a day, 4 in the am and 4 in the pm. I must say I have a great doctor. I have read posts where people leave messages for their doc and don't get call backs right away. I never have to wait long to hear from her and most of the time she answers the phone when I call. She always said if she is between appt she will answer, and I have her cell phone if I need it. If anyone is in New Jersey and needs a referral go to Dr Rosenbergs office in Cherry Hill, Terry is the one to speak with. I call her my doc but she is really an NP, I see Doc Rosenberg too and he is also always there for me as well.
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #64
koolcat199

hello my name is cathy ive been on subs for a month now was a user for about 8 years i feel good have not been to any meetings dont know where to go havent told anyone in my family have been going thru this on my own just broke up with my boyfriend after 2 years and he didnt know either but i feel so alone and dont know where to go of who to talk to
koolcat199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #65
Julestime2live

Hello Cathy, Welcome to Addiction Survivors. You are not alone! First, I was surprised at how many people are going through Addiction Recovery. Second, I am so sorry to hear you are trying to do this without the support of family and freinds. Is there anyone in your family or circle of "friends" you maybe able to confide in? Myself I don't really have any freinds but I am lucky to have a family that is very supportive.

I can relate to the boyfreind thing, once I started trying to detox on my own my bf, who I loved very much, broke up with me, no real explaination, just he wasn't in love with me anymore. I think it was because I was different not using my DOC "drug of choice" (I didn't know what that mean't until I saw it on this site).

Cathy, you can always use this site and the people here to talk to. Someone always reads the posts and alwasy replies. As for meetings, if you go to http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/. This is the site I used to look for meetings in my area. Also talk to your doctor, they may have resources for you to go to counciling. I just started treatment 11 days ago so I am just learning myself. I am sure you will hear from others on this site who have more information for you.

Again, post anytime you need to vent or have questions, someone will reply!!

Best of wishes, Jules
One User Says Thank You to Julestime2live For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-02-2014)
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #66
MaJaBe

I've gotten very active in NA lately, and I have some of the same thoughts. I've never been tempted to let anyone know about my Subs, or any other medication that I'm on, because there are alot of people who I know would not approve.
I've never nodded off or anything, tho. There is no reason for anyone to question my sobriety or anything.
I just enjoy the fellowship so much, and I would be heartbroken if they ostracized me for Subutex.
NA is a HUGE part of my recovery, and I don't think that being on Subutex prevents me from recovering. Yes, I'll have to wean off of it, but hopefully with a slow taper, I won't have any w/d's or side effects or whatever.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #67
danielle

Anytime I ever spoke about my suboxone treatment in private discussions with other NA members, I get a feeling of undercover judgement....like I'm not REALLY clean. It was a turnoff for awhile, and it crossed my mind to stop going but I wasn't letting anyone chase me out of the rooms. I keep my treatment to myself now. I'm down to only 4mg....and I feel great. Tapering is a lot easier than I thought.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to danielle For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-15-2013)
Unread 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #68
MaJaBe

Good for you Danielle! Everyone in NA says that they don't judge, but guess what, they're human. So they do. And clean time is by YOUR count, not theirs. So here I am, 60 days clean, on Subutex, and I certainly will be pickin up that keytag, without a guilty thought about it. Because I AM clean. I'm not runnin the streets lookin for pills, runnin in and out of the dr's office, worrying that they'll try to cut me down, or won't increase me when I wanted them to. My drug seeking/addictive behavior is gone. That's what makes me clean. There's not a person in this world that could tell I'm on subutex, unless they're secretly recording me at 6am, LOL. I feel clean, too! I blocked so much of life while I was using, and I'm starting to get it back. I realize that I was very self centered in my addiction. I only cared about my daughter and myself, and if you weren't one of those two people, you didn't exist to me. Turns out I have a big family, that also want my love and attention. My husband, my father, my grandmother, my brother, my niece, etc....
And now I have the capacity to give it to them, without qualifications like, what can you do for me?
It sucks to have to admit that, but it's true.
And that's the stuff NA is good for. Getting over all the horrible crap you did while in active addiction. Realizing that you are not responsible for your disease, but you ARE responsible for your recovery.
"That's all I got"
Best to everyone.
J
2 Users Say Thank You to MaJaBe For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-02-2014), Thank You (12-05-2013)
Unread 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #69
Julestime2live

Wow Jackie, your words really put the stigma into perspective for me, THANK YOU!!
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #70
MaJaBe

Any time you want to talk about it, I'm here. I attend NA at least three times a week, I have a sponsor, I do step-work.
I'd love to have someone to talk to that participates in NA that is on Sub.
Unread 01-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #71
missaimz

Hahha nice
missaimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #72
MaJaBe

????
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #73
dan_tat2man

Default 12 step groups and suboxone...

I am new to this forum, but I started on suboxone in Feb. 2009, and I have yet to relapse. You can read my story at "My Thread"
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26894

We complained to our doctor about the way we were treated at NA meetings. They knew what our meeting slips looked like, and word got around. I found a lot of "he said, she said, bullshit" in NA. Our doctor helped us start our own NA meeting at the hosp. on Sat. nights. This was a closed meeting for suboxone patients. At first we used the NA format. This group was very successful and was very popular for over a year. It gave us a place to openly discuss suboxone, and a place to teach new patients how to Lie there way trough NA meetings. A second local doctor began prescribing suboxone and his patients started coming to our meeting! The hosp. received letters from local NA groups complaining about us using their format!! So we changed the name to a "Suboxone Support Group". However politics prevailed, and the hosp. cancelled our meeting for "Insurance reasons", however I noticed the sunday morning AA meetings in the same room were not canceled. We are looking for a place to hold support group meetings now.

I found this forum while lookig for literature to use in our Suboxone Support Group.

AA meetings can be very usefull to your recovery. An AA meeting is my homegroup! I have found that AA has a more mature membership. It appears to me that people at AA meetings are there for recovery, not gossip about who's useing what or who's sleeping with who! I refer to myself as "HI, I'm Dan, I'm an addict" at AA meetings. So far, I haven't had any complaints. Quite the opposit, I have felt very welcomed in the AA meetings I attend. When someone asks why I attend AA meetings, I tell them that I feel like AA is a more mature crowd, more focused on recovery and that I get more out of AA meetings!!

It works for me! IMHO!
dan_tat2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #74
TIM

Dan_tat2man,
We have received countless complaints about NA and doctors forcing patients to attend despite an overwhelming anti-medication position. Many patients who went to NA meetings for support left in tears as they were given anything but support and in some cases completely rejected because they chose evidence-based treatment for their addiction. Like you others found AA to be more supportive and found the support they needed. Still in some areas, local 12 step groups may not be as up-to-date with modern addiction treatment and still hold old prejudice against treatments they don’t understand. In such cases groups like this can do far more damage than good for patients seeking support. Online support like this forum can fill many of the needs of support, but still can’t replace the in-person support. Physicians should strongly suggest support but not insist only on 12 step based groups. This brochure talks about the different kinds of support and what to expect from each. http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/do...rvBrochure.pdf

Welcome to the board and congratulations on almost 3 years of sustained addiction remission!!

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #75
OhioMike

IMO …. I think it is important to understand that it is no one else’s business or concern what medications a person might be taking. That means any medication. This includes ones AA or NA sponsor. Their role is to guide a person through the steps, helping them find the best way to use the steps to their advantage. They are not qualified to make any suggestions or opinions on medical care, nor is any person in any meeting. We use the 12 step programs to help heal ourselves. To help us change people, places and things! Take what you can use and leave the rest. The steps are simply another tool which we can use. It is not meant to be something to use to dictate your life with. Addiction already did that to use. Further IMO it is best to use various recovery tools and not limit your options.

Sadly the majority of NA groups cannot see past their own bias and often times do create a very hostile & counterproductive situation for those using a medical aid such as Suboxone. Thankfully most AA groups stick to the original text a little better and understand that if needed it does not cripple the recovery process, but, can be a productive addiction.
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #76
Patrick84

The quote really says it all. People can be completely free of all medications but they aren't really in recovery. I have been in recovery and working the steps for about 10 years, at times without ANY medication. I wasn't well at those times in my head, I didn't get the meaning of what recovery was about. I never got honest and my higher power was me at those times.
I am on Suboxone and Klonopin now and I have been for about 3 years straight now. I am at a different place mentally NOW and I am working the steps and I can say that I am in recovery for the first time and for real now. I listen very carefully to those at the meetings. You have to sift through a lot to get to the heart of all of it. I have met many people "sober" who aren't good or compassionate people. I thank God every day that I am who I am and that it is all good when I givemy 3 year old a kiss each morning.

Last edited by Patrick84; 11-13-2011 at 07:48 PM..
Patrick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Patrick84 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-05-2013)
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #77
Newlife30

Default My journey not really a reply?

I've been on this road to recovery for about four years. It took a long time before I could get my parents to understand that I wasn't trading one addiction for another and they also didn't get why I was still on suboxon years in. Finally this year I got tired of feeling ashamed of what people thought about my past experiences how low I was. I realized I had made it out of hell and I was proud. I'm honest with people I care about. some probably wonder why and cant believe I was an addict I just figure if I share what I've been through it will change a few people's views. It feels good to be honest about who I am because my addiction changed me into such a liar. I'm sure people talk behind my back the thing is I just don't care... I watched three people die good kind wonderful people wilt then die. So even though I have some deep scarring on my heart and soul there comes a point where your above those stigmas. Because in the scheme of things your allright and that's all that should matter.
Newlife30 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Newlife30 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-30-2013), Thank You (12-05-2013), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #78
Finallylivingfree

Moved to new thread for better visibility:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28689
Finallylivingfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #79
formerFLAuser

Moved to new thread for better visibility:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28886
formerFLAuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #80
Vchica825

Hey everyone just want to share my experience as well. I have never been to an NA meeting, but I do go to AA. I have not shared that I am on suboxone for the same reason as many of you. I dont want to be judged. Suboxone has helped me change my life and for someone to say im not really clean would piss me off. Ive done all the leg work to change my life not the suboxone. Sometimes I do feel like Im being dishonest with the people in AA. But I cant tell them now. Ive been clean for almost a year and have been in the same all women AA group. Right after I finished my IOP I went into group counseling. There were a variety of DOCs (drug of choice) and only a few people on suboxone. I did notice right away that the counselor treated the people on subs different. Like we were only replacing one drug with another. It seemed as if she picked on us and singled us out. I didnt stay in that group and now do individual therapy. Hang in there guys. We know our hearts and we are working hard for our lives. Dont let anyone make you feel bad for being on suboxone.
Vchica825 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Vchica825 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-05-2013), Thank You (02-02-2014), Thank You (01-11-2015), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #81
Bqb247

hi! jUST WANTED TO CHIME IN, MEETINGS AND WORKING STEPS ARE really helping me out here. I have been to both AA and NA meetings, I attend at least one AA meeting a day, i have met a bunch of wonderful ppl there. I recently detoxed off of methadone successfully, i only told a couple of women i felt comfortable with about it. It was no ones buisness. It was doctor prescribed to get me off heroin, i never abused it, and i didnt use anything else with it. I have been clean for over 7 months. I was in treatment, but realized i wouldnt be in there forever and that i better get some outside support, so i started going to meetings, and Thank God I did. I have more friends now than i've ever had, real friends, that focuses on recovery. I also got myself a sponsor and started working steps, which is something else i've never done in any period of clean time i've ever had. Your sponsor does not have to be a forever type deal, you can get a temporary sponsor to get you started, until u find a better fit. I had to get started on doing the work, and looking at myself, and why i drank and used. I have to work as hard for sobriety as i did when i was using, and back then, NOTHING would stop me. I encourage anyone in recovery to attend meetings, you may have to go to a few before u find a good fit, but i promise you will find people exactly like you. Whether or not you choose to divulge you are on medication is up to you. Only YOU truly know if you are CLEAN or not. If you are using other substances or taking more sub than what is prescribed, or lying to your doc to get more, etc, then you know u are not clean. But if u are doing everything you are supposed to do, then u are. You can always stop using, but if u are still in those old behaviors, nothing will change. I choose to get outta there!
Thank You (12-19-2013), Thank You (12-10-2013), Thank You (12-11-2013), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #82
lacielou

I totally agree with you! I am almost scared to be 100% honest with the AA group. I feel that I really need to to put myself all in there but your situation sounds great. Your doing well obviously. You said you have never been to an NA! Is there any particular reason? I have only been to AS as well. I am on Suboxone f course. I was wanting to try NA because I do want to be honest. The temporary sponsor I have I was honest about opiate addiction but not my treatment plan, as of yet anyways. What is your advice for me.
lacielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #83
lily29

I am writing this not to advise, but just to tell what happened to me. I got a new AA sponsor who told me that unless I was 100% honest about everything I would never get close to God or be able to work a successful program. So I told her I was on doctor prescribed Suboxone and Klonopin. She told me I was not sober and would have to announce myself that way at every meeting if I didn't stop taking them. Horrified at that idea, I gave them up cold turkey. Fast forward 4months of total isolation because I was a twitching mess, and all my AA "people" were gone, because I had stopped going out. I went to a doctor who admonished me severely for going off cold turkey, especially the Klonopin, and put me back on both, albeit much lower doses. But I have no one. No friends. Where I live there is a small AA community and when I went to a meeting, I wasn't a twitching mess, so they knew. Now I'm ostracized. Some days I don't see the point of living, except I would never put my mom through that again (for those who don't know me, my brother committed suicide). That's what I have gotten for being honest.

Lily
lily29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #84
MattC42286

Hi toms! Yes i agree they use it until the can find the other drug they are suffering from. Maybe if they tried and went through it correctly it would work correctly. Ya never know!!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #85
Sam Bailey

Hello Lily29,

Re: going to your AA Meeting, you wrote,
Quote:
"Now I'm ostracized."
While I believe that this was your experience, I must say...that's just plain bullcrap. That ANY AA/NA group would ostracize a member for using drugs is.....well, it'd almost be laughable if it weren't so outrageous.

Lily, what you experienced is 100% AGAINST everything AA/NA stands for. AA/NA does not ostracize any addict, ever. There are policies about not sharing during a Meeting if one has been using, but to kick them out? But to shun them?

Dear? Find yourself a DIFFERENT Meeting....cause the Meeting you went to was a bad, bad, freaking bad Meeting. Shame on those people who shut you out.

I suggest you try again. Yes, try again. Support Groups are, IMO, essential for Recovery. Addicts NEED people who understand what a person struggling for recovery is going through. All that is required to "join" AA/NA is a desrire to stop using/drinking. That's all.

Man, I have seen folks in Meetings who were totally loaded. I have been to Meetings loaded. Nobody was shunned; I certainly wasn't.

Anyway.

Sorry. But such a thing is outrageous.....just Way-Not-Cool.

Best to you, Lily29.

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-03-2014), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #86
Dan458

First of all, in AA, Suboxone would be an outside issue. Hence they, as a group, would or at least should, have no opinion on that. In NA, suboxone use is not kosher. We have to remember that NA has a right to exist as they are. What's needed is some sort of "suboxone anonymous". Second of all, you are under no obligation to divulge everything of your private life. When meeting someone of the ilk that lily met, I recommend invoking the short version of the serenity prayer...F' em.
Dan458 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Dan458 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-17-2015), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #87
MattC42286

Hi toms could be a number of things i would check with your doctor on taking pretty nuch anything. Good luck! Matt
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #88
Bqb247

hello again...i recently divulged to an aa group that i love and trust that i was on methadone to get off of heroin. I used the mdone for what it was for, to eliminate sickness and cravings so i could get into treatment, and then i detoxed myself off of it (while working closely with my counselor and doctor.). Some people had no problem with it, some ppl didnt agree, but still love and respect me. Yiu do not have to go around telling everyone what meds you are on. What others think of u is none of your business. If you know you are taking your medication as prescribed and not abusing it, and it keeps you from doing those crazy things you did in active addiction, who cares?
Thank You (03-03-2014), Thank You (10-22-2014), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #89
subsavedme73

I agree with you Sam! Groups of that ilk usually fade away!!!
subsavedme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #90
subsavedme73

Default those who judge dont matter!!!!!!!!!!!1

hello, I am reading all this garbage about people being ostracized for taking their medication?? I have been an alcoholics anonymous member for quite a few 24 hours. I also read the big book with a sponsor. apparently people do not understand what they read, or they do not read the big book. I read and understand there is a paragraph or more which explains; some individuals require "OUTSIDE HELP" we in alcoholics anonymous are not doctors!! Also Bill Wilson, one of the co-founders of A.A sought "OUTSIDE HELP" Some might want to do some research based on fact before they KILL people with opinions!!!!!!!!!
subsavedme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to subsavedme73 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-11-2015), Thank You (12-01-2015), Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #91
Eliza12

Hi subsavedme73,

Thank you! Unfortunately we do hear about everything from sub being frowned upon, to people who aren't allowed to share in meetings or work the steps. Especially in NA. That is why we usually advise people to keep it to themselves, as it is between them and their doctor. I've been in AA too and there is a wealth of support there that people on sub might miss out on, because of unfounded prejudices.

Best,
Elizabeth
Eliza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Eliza12 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-29-2015)
Unread 01-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #92
MattC42286

Hi toms. You are correct my friend. Ive noticed the same thing about. It never hurts to check with tour dr or at least some kind of medical professional before mixing two drugs together that you dont know is safe or not. Always check with someone. Praying for you all!
Matt
Unread 11-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #93
senior123

Meetings I've been to in New York. They tell you before the meeting. If you are taking Suboxone please don't share. They forgot where they came from. This is people with a lot of thim. Maybe they don't know all we have is today
senior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to senior123 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-30-2016)
Unread 12-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #94
theswan

I am in NYC and upstate a bit. I have not heard anyone bash suboxone but to be honest, I have not been to meetings in a year unless the one at my old group that I stopped at to use the restroom. I did chat a while but had no time for the meeting.

My thoughts are why even share about what you take? if they say you cant share the heck with that and share anyway. Maybe go to a meeting where they dont know about it if you are really concerned what others think. Senor 123 this may mean your very life so make sure you dont let jerks who dont adhere to the 12 traditions scare you off.

lastly, not just for you but to all-the traditions state a singleness of purpose and that is that-in other words a desire to not drink/drug is the only requirement. This is an all inclusive tradition which means even an active alcoholic or drug user ought to be welcome (unless unruly of course) also in the traditions is the matter of "outside" issues and what a person takes from his or her doctor is an outside issue.
In conclusion-in my humble opinion, I tend to believe the "humble" thing to do is keep my sub use to myself and those that NEED to know.

Glen aka Da swan
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #95
theswan

Just wanted to add this in case it may help and not to toot my own horn (silly anyway to brag about when ya got off the train track with the engine coming at ya) but I have been in twelve step group since November 1987 and many years of that was in service at the group level, district and finally the area

We of course have 24 hours like anyone but as my expeirence of the 12 traditions (and concepts of service) was garnered over time and may be of benefit to others on issues like this.

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #96
ThePerfectShitStorm

Default anonymity

I just happen to have a friend that works at the Rite Aid where I get my prescription filled and what she has told me about how the staff refers to us Suboxone patients is sickening. They don't know she is my friend but apparently the pharmacy staff has said various nasty stuff about me but what bothers me the most was that my friend had to talk one of her co-works out of calling CPS apparently she planed to tell them "I'm a drug addict and should have my child taken from me" for no other reason then I take suboxone. I take excellent care of my child and have been clean for 3 years. They are doing this for no other reason then they don't understand. I dread going there every month but "The dev
ThePerfectShitStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #97
Day2day

Perfectshtstorm- we do this for us, no matter what people think. If we are working the program correctly then we have nothing to worry about. Let people talk. Sometimes it makes us stronger! Keep it up!!
Day2day is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Day2day For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-03-2017)
Unread 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #98
chubbylovin

I've been treatedvery badly and have even had to switch pharms because of the rude comments and looks. people will say its just in my head but when i go and pick up ANY OTHER medicine theyre all smiles and friendly as can be. I hate that i'm judged because of suboxone.
chubbylovin is offline   Reply With Quote