Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Arura

Default Hello..Newbie..!

Hi , just a quick intro about myself... Addictcted to heroin form 15, to 30 now...33...! STILL on subs n benzos, 2yrs clean of the methadone.So ive been on subutex 18mths, 5mg now...!

I also belong to another board but sub disscussion Always breaks out into rows n Bashing...[?] As ive tryed my differnt routes to get clean.? Thro my addiction. The last time i got clean was thro subs...! and i STAYED clean for 3yrs after that stint.

So that when I fell back into active addiction, and looked for away out, I choses subs again as they worked for me so well the last time i used them...! Along with counseling n the rest, rooms,ect ...!

Im in England and we have had subs for along time here and there is alot of confusing info on the Web...?

So i look forward to any advice that you ALL have from across the pond ...?!?

...Only Love...Xxxx...!
Arura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Suture

Welcome Arura,
Part of the problem that leads to bashing is the language. When someone says they are clean on sub it awakens the 12 step zealots ( not all 12-step advocates, I'm only referring to the extremists) who are quick to say they are not clean...maybe they are and maybe they are not, the point is the word clean is a 12 step term not a medical term (in this context) to avoid these arguments don't us the word clean.

Successful treatment is a treatment that effectively stops the addictive behavior. Taking a medication to do so is inconsequential. I have been on Sub for over 5 years. I consider it successful treatment. I am on half the dose I was originally on. Some patients with diabetes must remain on insulin, this doesn't mean their treatment was a failure or that they should wean themselves off insulin or that insulin is a substitute for their sugar addiction. It is effective lifesaving treatment, as is buprenorphine for addiction.

At one time there were no good drugs/medications for addiction, so if someone was on any drug, they still were addicted. Science has progressed and this is no longer true. The simplistic hardcore 12 step thinking of all drugs are bad is out dated.

Some of these people who will bash and argue with buprenorphine patients have suffered through years of fighting their addiction and feel gypped when they see someone else succeed with much less effort and sacrifice. ItÃ's an immature self-centered disposition but there nonetheless. They feel if they had to suffer and still attend meeting daily everyone else should as well before they can earn the rank of clean. I say let them be clean I will be addiction free.

I discussed this more here:
http://naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1176

another good post on the subject is:
http://naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=616

S-
Suture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Arura

Thanks suture, it seems common. I'll have a look around...!
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Bassdad

Hi Arura,
Just want to WELCOME you to NAABT. Hope you find this place to be as helpfull as I have.

Later, Bassdad
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Arura

Thanks Bassdad, it looks Very informative... Thanks for the welcome...!

Ive been on them 2 now its more mantainance this time but a Very low dose...!

Thank f**...! but i feel unwell, alot of the time. Dividing the pills is not that exact really is it ...?

...X
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Bassdad

Splitting pills is really never exact. I use a pill cutter than is pretty darn acurate, I have even wieghed them on a scale to see how close the cutter is. I cut 8's in half, then in half again, giving me a good idea what mg I am taking. I believe we can, after time, know pretty much what dose we are taking. At this time I am on maintanace, I am dosing for chronic pain and depression.

Later, Bassdad-Day 133 on Bup Treatment-8mg Today Treating Pain and depression
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Brett

Arura

Welcome to Naabt! Do you have the same type of tablets in England as we do in the USA ? 8mg and 2mg tablets?

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Mary

Hey Arura, How do you not feel well? WDs or cravings or the like? What dose are you on, if you don't mind me asking. Annnyways, welcome! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
glimmertwin

Hi Arura -

Welcome to naabt. I've been on sub now for almost 18 months and I've never been so amazed that I could actually stay away from all those painkillers. I wasted so much time and money and nearly lost everything and everyone around me. Luckily I have a hubby who is also an addict in recovery and he stood by me.

I used to post on another "recovery" board. I, too, received so much grief from people who don't believe in this treatment. And to tell you the truth, I never really could figure out why they think that way. I never got a valid explanation from anyone as to why we should never include buprenorphine in our recovery program. And I don't care to use the word "clean" anyway. I'm no longer living in active addiction.

I used to post messages to a girl from England on that site, I haven't heard from her in a while and her drug of choice is the same as yours. But your writing doesn't sound very much like her, so you are probably someone else. I just hope you keep on the sub, give it all you got. I'm staying on it, it also treats my depression, which doesn't respond to anything else. Depression is my biggest trigger to use.

Much luck to you, please post anytime and if I can help you in any way, just let me know. Take care!

Love
Sheryl
glimmertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Arura

Thanks ALL for your replys ... im given 8mgs and take 4/5mg depending on the day. Its been a life saver for me. I really dont want to use...!

Yes i Think its the same in the U.K, but they dont give us such high dose's as ive seen given in the U.S tho...! No wonder people are complaing about the w/d...!...

I find that sometimes im sick like gear sick ...! but only slightly...! sweaty hands, ect... no body heat ... but i do try to push it down, as i did'nt want it to become a maintiance thing. But its 18mths on now but its now down from 8mgs to 4/5mgs.

Yer we get 2mgs n 8mgs, Its been here for a long time in Scotland about 10yrs ago they had a Mmassive problem with them. Temgisics...!

They were for back pain. They have been re-dosed, re-packaged, n redriected to the addict market,...! but they work Very well for me...! and many others here in the U.K...!

Thanks again folks for the imput...So glad to not be Bashed for speaking about how they feel...Thank you ...X

Unread 08-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
beginagain

Welcome my dear. Like we've talked about before - take your time - no rush and no worries. You are doing fine. You'll find lots of support and we are glad to have you here. Never hurts to have a different perspective from "across the pond".
beginagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Arura

Thanks honi, its good there is a safe place for us to talk about them...!

...Great to see you hear ...Xxxx...!
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #13
prince1

Hi I am a chronic pain patient.
It souds like Europe has the right idea for pain managment. Low sub. doses. is it with naltraxon like suboxon or without like subutec ?
Jim/prince1
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Arura

subtex has no naltexeone in it, thats the differance, there an opioid not opiate...!
Unread 08-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
deniese

Hi Arura, welcome To the best forum on the web. I to origonally posted on the board I believe that you are speaking of. I got a lot of good advice and there are some very good people there. As I have posted before, there is just to much arguing and not enough supporting one another over there. That is my humble opinion of course. You will find a lot of wonderful people here who are always there to answer any questions you have or just a kind word when you need it. Again, welcome and please keep posting. Deniese
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
Arura

Thanks Denise, for the welcome...!

Yer loads of Fantasic people, but you mention subs and an argument breaks out most times...?

Glad to be here thanks...! ((D))...Xxxx..!
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
Mary

Hey Arura, how long have you been at 5/6? Long enough to be adjusted to it? Do you feel like you're borderline WDs? Or just kinda blah? God, I'm the only one asking a million questions. Again! Sorry.... Good energy beams to you. -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #18
Arura

Thanks Mary, its like im sick w/d...? ive been on them twice now, this never happened before...? Its 18mths this time, so longer than before. I dont feel seteled on them, ive had enough of the subs too. I feel nausia alot of the time aswell.?

Im ment to take an 8mg but i only take 4/5mgs per day...!
I get very down aswell...! They dony even touch on depression for me...!

Thanks for your concern Mary, ...xXx...