Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #2251
Alexis

So happy to read this Millie, 7 miles is pretty awesome, when you feel down especially!

And seeing you friend, and walking little Millie....all great news. Plus the sun!! Can you sense my joy?!

Anyway, just real pleased you seem more upbeat. Like LD says, you are special xx
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #2252
R. Lee

Millie, Move a muscle change a thought.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-30-2017)
Unread 05-03-2017, 05:13 AM   #2253
Alexis

Millie how are you?

Lots of crows and ravens in my garden around here, think of you when i see them xx
Unread 05-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #2254
Millie

Thanks Alexis and lostdog and R.Lee...

Alexis, I'm doing okay. On a walk with Millie the other day I saw a couple of crows raiding a robin's nest. It broke my heart, but that's just sort of suburban nature... it made me have a dream that I had to throw pine cones at a crow to protect the robins. I still love them, but I wish they'd just stick to the peanuts I put out for them (nowhere near nests).

Got in an 8-mile run on Monday, and was pretty proud of that, even though it was very slow. The sun was out, which made me slow down. Glad I got it done though. Supposed to try for 9 tomorrow. It's not advisable to ramp up this quickly, but I don't feel like I have a choice.

It's been a nice couple of days, cloudy, but I've been in decent spirits. Even meditated yesterday for the first time in a while. That was nice. Tomorrow we're supposed to have very warm sun. even though I have to run, I'm looking forward to the sun.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #2255
lostdog

My sister is looking after a n
est of birds and protecting them by looking for any predators. They are starting to fly. Good news on a bird story for you I understand. I'm wanting to go help with the famine and all the children.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #2256
Alexis

Hey Millie, great news about the run!! And the meditation and the decent spirits you are in how did you feel meditating?

Hope today is good for you also...? Let us know how you are getting on when you can xx
Unread 05-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #2257
Millie

Lostdog, it's tough wanting to help everyone, isn't it? I've spent a lot of time and effort in my adulthood trying to overcome the feeling of helplessness that comes along with feeling others' suffering and not being able to fix it all. A word of advice on looking after nests, for your sister -- and this may be something you already know, but -- crows and other corvids watch our behavior for cues, and if we look at nests, they watch us to find out where they are. So by our own good intentions, we run the risk of endangering the poor songbirds. I saw it happen a lot when I was doing bird research. So when I have a nest that I'm watching, I stay at least 10 feet away, and wear a baseball cap or visor and sunglasses so the predators can't see where I'm looking. We are naturally curious about seeing the babies, but if we want them to live, unfortunately it's best to keep our distance. Okay, end of PSA, back to your regularly-scheduled program.

Alexis, thank you! Today was going to be 9 miles but it's very warm out, and I can afford to take one more day, so I'll do it tomorrow when it's 15 degrees cooler. I do have a gig tomorrow night, but if I get the run done in the morning I think I should be recovered enough.

The meditation was merely fine. It was just a short guided one, and I was easily distracted, so obviously I need to do more of that.

Kind of freaking out getting ready to go to Scotland, and worried about the guy who's going to watch Millie and the cats next weekend as a trial run for house sitting during our trip. Not overly worried, since it's in the future and therefore out of my control at the moment, but it's on my mind. These are first-world problems and I have it good. As Tryn says, I'm lucky. And -- AND! -- alive to have woken up one more morning. So grateful for that.
Unread 05-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #2258
Alexis

Good news on it being warm though!!! Yes wait till its cooler.

I still get distracted with meditation, i have to do guided ones all the time.

Regarding going away, whats worrying you the most about this guy? xx
Unread 05-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #2259
Millie

Well.... warm yes. But we're supposed to have thunderstorms. So hot and cloudy. Yuck.

The worrying is mostly about Millie. She's very attached to us, and gets nervous. She's timid with other people, and hates other dogs, and I'm worried that this fellow won't know how to deal with her. I'm making it quite clear that she needs to be on a harness at all times outdoors, even in our yard (she could hop the fence if she really wanted to). But there's always that chance that he'll do something wrong.

And I know she won't sleep for at least the first night. She stands vigilant if either my husband or I goes to bed and the other is still out, until the other comes home. So I'm mostly worried about her adjusting and not feeling abandoned. We haven't spent a night without her in the three years we've had her.
Unread 05-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #2260
Alexis

Hey Millie, i am sure this man will be fine and look after Millie well and properly. And little Millie will be ok. Its good you are doing a test run. So she will get used to this new man quickly.

I know its not the same as cats are different but i felt awful leaving Jackson for a couple of weeks but really its ok and it makes coming home even better!

Hoping you feel a little better today about it all. and you manage to get the run in this morning xx
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-05-2017)
Unread 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #2261
lostdog

Good advice on birds. I think they have finally flown the coop now so that is good. Ill tell her. I do know not to leave the garage door open ,birds will nest and it spells disaster.

I just left my dogs three nights. My dogs are on alert and when they come back from the kennel they are exhausted and happy to be home. They are fine and do not ever show trauma or fear. It is a good experience for separation and growing I tell myself. Just act like the separation is temporary. But with a substitute, ease your mind some. Millie could have some fun too. Just know that with our schedules, we must part ways sometimes. Big hugs and it will all work out.
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-05-2017), Thank You (05-05-2017)
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #2262
Alexis

How are you Millie? xx
Unread 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #2263
Millie

It's sweet of you to ask, Alexis. You know? Even though I know you're suffering right now, you're reaching out. It shows you're a good person. I love you, Alexis.

I'm okay. Had a gig last night, and the night before. Last night's was soooo fun. I love it when people walk in to the place and haven't heard us before, and realize they love us. It happens often because we play 1960s music and really, there isn't much better. And they danced! Oh I love it when they dance.

it was a very fun night. Today, on to cleaning more. Got my laundry room all fixed up and that was an accomplishment.

Oh! And ran 9 miles yesterday. The sun was out and it was soooo hard. I started at 9 minute intervals and ended at 6 minute intervals. But I covered the distance. And honestly? I'm going to be stopping to take pics in Edinburgh anyway so time doesn't matter.
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-08-2017)
Unread 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #2264
Alexis

I love you too Millie

The gig sounds brilliant, must be amazing to see people enjoying the music you are making. What an experience!

And well done with the run, i think you are doing amazingly with it and like you say, stopping to take photos, and adrenaline will get you through the race. xx
Unread 05-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #2265
Millie

It is an experience...

An orchestra I'm playing in is doing Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony. Omg, the music is so hard. I wrote a case to the music director two years ago requesting it. I learned of it because of the movie Babe, and it's been with me ever since.

Thing is. It doesn't sound complicated. But omg, NOTHING IS ON THE BEAT.

It's sooooo hard.

But we're still going to do a beautiful job with it because we always do. And I have to practice, which I almost never do.
Thank You (05-08-2017)
Unread 05-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #2266
lostdog

I am so glad you are doing ok Millie, I just love to see how you communicate and have the wonderful relationship with Alexis. I'm always enjoying hearing about your music, just so fabulous. Have a great week!
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-08-2017)
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #2267
Alexis

What an achievement you will feel once its done though Millie! wow i envy that.

I suppose the thing to compare is my London show...i felt so much pride after that.

Thinking of you always xx
Unread 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #2268
Alexis

How has your week been Millie?? xx
Unread 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #2269
Millie

Hey! Omg, so busy cleaning for the dog sitter, preparing for the upcoming concert, trying to run when I can...

If I could just be a grownup and tidy my house more often (and get rid of unnecessary stuff), I'm sure it would help my mental state in general.

I got my friend that I sometimes have trouble with, to agree to be dry with me till the end of August. That made me happy. He will sometimes agree to finite arrangements, and I figure each step like that is good. He seems more reasonable each time. And I don't have to worry about either of us for a few months.
Thank You (05-11-2017)
Unread 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #2270
Alexis

haha i feel like that about cleaning!

Glad your friend is staying sober with you.

Hope you can get some calm soon!! xx
Unread 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #2271
Millie

Well, we're going to the cabin while the house sitter does a trial run with the critters. Can't really help but relax there if I let myself. It's pretty easy to forget about just about everything there.
Unread 05-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #2272
Alexis

Sounds perfect xx
Unread 05-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #2273
lostdog

have a restful time at the cabin and enjoy the peace it will bring into your life.
Unread 05-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #2274
R. Lee

Enjoy your weekend Millie.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-12-2017)
Unread 05-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #2275
Tryntryagain

Good evening my dearest magical Millie. Bright blessings to you.

I am sorry, yet this is it.

I had my bath, (you know how Tryn HAS to have his bath every night)....i made the mistake of reading your letters, your recent journey, and where you are now.

I am no stranger to looking into the mirror...whilst shaving responsibly.....and wishing i was...well.....lets say "looked a bit different". Ah well..."it is what it is" eh gorgeous Sam?

Sope...(in the bath so perhaps i should say "soap")......after reading your "restful time in your cabin".....i shaved....and knock me down with a feather......of all the things that happens to Tryn......clean shaven....dripping wet.....ohhh my godd looking back at me from the mirror......yet this time......i was pure green.

Never happened before.

Oh my goodness........so off i go to "google Dr"......i fill in all the tick box form.....and wait....gosh it says it only takes 30 secs........mine is taking 20 mins.......maybe there is something wrong with my comp.....Ahhhh.....here we go.....

Ooohhh......

Apparently it is envy.

Jealous as a sprout, green as a cucumber.....can i have a cabin too!!!!???

Anyhew, i have followed through the online Dr to find prescriptive ways forward.

It says...

"Tough luck pal.......have a bag a lollipops and a cuppa"

I can tell you....it beats your cabin.....any day of the week.

Have wonderful weekend!

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you magical Millie
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #2276
Sam Bailey

Hey Millie,

I'm imagining you and Mr. Millie waking up this morning, in your sweet, cozy cabin, in the mountains---fresh, clear (clean!) mountain air. Wood fire burned down, though with some warm-ish embers still lit.

Dude! I SO love that image. We have a cabin (we rent) in the nearby Big Bear Mountains. Small, but perfectly sized for us. Just an hour and a half from our home and we're there!

When I think of you and your family grabbing some refuge in your cabin, I think of our escape. Thanks for your shared thoughts.

Anyway.

Hope it's great fun for you.

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #2277
Alexis

Oh wow Sam, if i close my eyes i can pretend im waking up in that cabin all cosy. x
Unread 05-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #2278
Millie

Sam! When I was a wee bairn, my family, including my idol and best friend growing up, my grandma, camped at Big Bear. I loved it so much. We usually did tent camping, but once, we had a cabin. I remembered it being an a-frame, which inspired my search for this one. I recently found photos from that trip and it was a modified a-frame with a wraparound deck. Not quite what my tiny brain remembered, but I'm so glad the Big Bear memory made this search so specific. Thank you for reminding me of that.

It was indeed lovely this morning. I miss my dog to an astonishing degree though. I've distracted myself by working hard outside. There was raking to do, as lots of branches and twigs fell over the winter, and we dismantled this ridiculously large amdcfalling-apart potting shed thingy that had been blocking part of the forest view. It looks so nice now.

And got to see lots of elk today. I love them. <3
Thank You (05-14-2017)
Unread 05-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #2279
Alexis

wow sounds amazing Millie, and not long till you get to see little Millie again. I miss Jackson so much when im just out at the gym hahaha

Love you xx
Unread 05-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #2280
lostdog

have a good time Millie! your dog will still adore you and know that some one can care for him, which is a good peace of mind. big hugs today!
Unread 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #2281
Alexis

How are you Millie? you back at home? If so how did the dog sitting go? xx
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #2282
Millie

Hey there!

The dog sitting went okay... though when we got home, the guy was out at an appointment, and the back door was wide open with the screen door unlocked! And the toilet was clogged!

He was still going to come back for his clothes and whatnot, but the door cannot be left unlocked and open. That's just making it too easy for burglars, which have been known to target homes in my neighborhood in the middle of the day while people are at work. So we had a talk about that. He said he didn't remember opening it, and apologized a lot... I think we're still going ahead with having him watch them during the trip, as he was actually just wonderful with Millie, but I will be sure to remind him to lock everything every time he leaves. I think it was an honest mistake, but could have had big consequences.

Ran 11 miles yesterday in light rain, which was very nice. It was still very hard, and I think I'm going to try to do one 12-mile run this weekend and then call it good before the race. At least then I'll know I can probably make it 13 miles. Leaving a week from tomorrow, and I'm getting very nervous!
Thank You (05-16-2017)
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #2283
Alexis

Hey Millie, wow thats not good, but yes, must be an honest mistake. Lots of notes around the house to lock up!!!

Glad he is good with little Millie too thats the main thing.

wow 11 miles is brilliant, congrats. aaaghhh im so excited that you will be here! How brilliant.

Funny, i might be in Edinburgh next week with my friend, you may run past me! Its not definite yet but she has some house viewings and has asked me along xx
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #2284
Millie

I would hate for you to see me in my running state -- it's not pretty!

Just wear a giant hat or carry a big sign that says GO MILLIE and I'll wave to you.

We're also going down to Leicester a couple days after the race to visit some friends and meet their eyeless cat. I'm a little too excited about that.
Thank You (05-16-2017)
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #2285
Alexis

haha the sign is a great idea!!

an eyeless cat? awwww

How long you in the UK for then? xx
Unread 05-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #2286
lostdog

well, that's good about Millie, sometimes people aren't as sharp on things we take for granted that we know for sure on safety? Have a nice trip.
Unread 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #2287
Millie

Thanks, Alexis and lostdog. We'll be there for just over a week.

And I just found out that I get to attend an earlier orientation for volunteering at the wildlife center, the day before I leave. Very excited about that.
Unread 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #2288
Alexis

Brilliant, everything's coming up Millhouse! (i hope you get that saying haha) xx
Unread 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #2289
Millie

Ha! I sure do!
Thank You (05-16-2017)
Unread 05-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #2290
lostdog

So nice!
Unread 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #2291
Alexis

Hey MILL(house) how are you today? Rainy for 3 days here now its kind of peaceful sometimes, with my door open listening. But i miss sun! xx
Unread 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #2292
Millie

Ha! I think Millhouse is one of the only names I have not called Millie. Or maybe I have... she has all kinds of nicknames. Often Milliebeans or the more formal M. Beans.

Today is cloudy but finally dry. We have had sooooooo much rain. I hear it's supposed to finally get sunny and warm this weekend, but I won't believe it till I see it. If the sun actually does come out, now that my house is sparkly clean, I can actually get out in the yard and do some work out there. I am truly looking forward to that.
Thank You (05-17-2017)
Unread 05-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #2293
Alexis

Love Milliebeans, so cute.

Oh that will be lovely, i did some gardening last week and it is so so nice to get outside and get a bit muddy. And the flowers are starting to bloom which is an achievement! xx
Unread 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #2294
Millie

Our house sitter begged me to let him be our gardener. He said he walked around the yard and saw "so much potential." It's embarrassing...

I need to pull lots of grass that has grown in areas it oughtn't and put down some beauty bark and stuff. It'll look so nice when it's done. We have trouble growing any kind of food in our yard, but for some reason last year and this year my raspberry bushes have gone crazy. They're blooming now, and I think we're going to have lots of raspberries!

In the summer time, Millie and I go out to the back yard as soon as I get home from work, and we sit on a towel in the grass and soak up the sunshine. I usually pick a few raspberries and share them with her. If the sun ever comes out, I'm looking forward to that too.
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-17-2017), Thank You (05-17-2017)
Unread 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #2295
Alexis

That sounds absolutely perfect! I have an old bucket with tiny strawberries growing. Cant wait to see them.

And to sit in my garden with the cats (hopefully socks is still around in the summer!)

Jackson wont sit with me haha xx
Unread 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #2296
Millie

Oh yeah, we have a couple of small strawberry plants too, in a pot. Almost forgot about them. And some potted chives and scallions that magically made it through our icy winter this year. Soooo much to do, but it'll all be worth it.
Unread 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #2297
Alexis

I also have chives and rosemary and oregano and thyme...

Had to google scallions haha funny, we call them spring onions xx
Unread 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #2298
Millie

We call them green onions as well as scallions. Funny the latter isn't familiar. And I loooove chives. So yummy.

I wish I could grow herbs. I have done okay with Italian parsley, and we do have a rosemary bush, now that I think of it, but I have terrible luck with cilantro and basil and mint, the ones I would actually use. Maybe I'll make a bigger project of it and dig out some earth, replace it with potting soil, and put them in the ground rather than pots.
Unread 05-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #2299
Alexis

oooh i have potted mint too, you can have some of mine, because it grows massive in the summer.

I cant grow basil though, dies every time

haha had to google cilantro also - coriander here. (and i hate it, the devil herb!) xx
Unread 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #2300
Millie

I read that the distaste for cilantro/coriander (only the seeds are called coriander here!) is genetic. I love it, but have friends who just can't stand it.

And I will indeed take some of your mint, thank you! My dream is to grow enough mint and basil to make pesto every week. Mmmmm
Thank You (05-17-2017)