Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
sarah6108

Default dr randomly switched me to subutex from suboxone!

so my doctor switched me from subonxone to subutex .. i wasnt to concerned about it exp bc it was cheaper .. but when i took it . it gave me like a "weird" feeling .. cant rly describe it , maybe to much coffee feeling .. it was only my first time taking it but i didnt rly like it .. is that normal ?
sarah6108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
gotoffmdone

I have been taking generic Subutex for a year and never felt that way. I really cannot tell I am taking any Bupe at all.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
sarah6108

i never could tell b4 this !
sarah6108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
anabolic1979

Did you up your dose or anything? i went from suboxone to subutex after taking suboxone for 5 years and i had the opposite effect. The generic roxanne subutex i started on made me feel underdosed and it took a month before i felt normal on the subutex. i had some depression issues but after about a month the fog cleared and i felt alot more clear headed but the subutex even the name brnd subutex which was by far the best had more of a relaxing effect than suboxone used to give me.. which was more of a energizing initially anyways.
anabolic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
surfsupl

Remember medication effects/affects (i get the 2 mixed up) each individual differently. When I went from suboxone to subutext my sweating decreased quite a bit plus it was cheaper. (I work construction and when its hot and I am physically active I sweat more than normal on this medication)
surfsupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
OneDayataTime

From what I have seen and heard on the WWW, be very careful when getting the Generic Subutex. Some of these Generics have been stated to NOT Be as strong dosage wise as the brand name subutex. Not trying to alarm you but information is key to everything. I suggest that you do a search for this information on google. "weaker generic subutex"
OneDayataTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
erikanh80

I was switched to Subutex from Suboxone, (same Doctor), last June, so 1 year ago. He said that it was suggested that all female patients be switched due to risks associated w/ pregnancy. I have an IUD, but he still switched me even with the slightest chance of becoming pregnant. I do remember that I felt "more" of a "feeling" taking the same dose of that which I didn't have w/ the suboxone. It will slowly pass....its like a slight "buzz", some people describe it as an energy boost, others like a "high". some say both. But don't worry...unless it becomes bothersome to you, its common to feel like the subutex is slightly "stronger" even with the same dose. Its definitely something I don't feel anymore, but just when I began the Subutex switch. Hope this helps
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
anabolic1979

i was on suboxone for 5 years before i switched to subutex and as far as getting a buzz.. the suboxone was far more energizing at least thats what i found. Suboxone is garbage in my opinion and putting the extra med in a medication for no real good reason is irresponsible. It was done for patenting purposes no doubt as the name brand subutex was going generic and they had to keep making money so hey lets stick this drug in there and call it suboxone and well say its for safety reasons. I had awful side effects from suboxone! the sweating like u said was more severe on suboxone by far. I did notice a strength and quality difference with the generic(roxanne brand) right when i switched so i got the name brand subutex for several months till my insurance stopped paying and it was fantasitic! The problem now is there is no more name brand and i personally hate 2 of the 3 generics out there. The only one i liked and was decent was the teva brand but its been on back order constantly... very frustrating!
anabolic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic1979 View Post
Suboxone is garbage in my opinion and putting the extra med in a medication for no real good reason is irresponsible. It was done for patenting purposes no doubt as the name brand subutex was going generic and they had to keep making money so hey lets stick this drug in there and call it suboxone and well say its for safety reasons.
Hi anabolic1979, actually it was the government who was responsible for the naloxone. Because of the reports of misuse in Europe of Subutex, the FDA would not approve Subutex unless there was another formulation that would deter misuse, thus the naloxone was added. And since the patent for buprenorphine from 1969 was already expired, the manufacturer wasn't granted new a patent (usually a 20-year patent). Instead they got 'orphan drug status' which granted them exclusive marketing rights for 7 years. That was up in 2009 because Suboxone and Subutex were both FDA approved in 2002. A generic Subutex was first to come out because it was easier to make because of the lack of naloxone. Rumors are that there will finally be a generic Suboxone out pretty soon (but we've heard those before).

Just wanted to clear that up.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
theswan

I am in the process of switching because as a pain patient, it makes extra paperwork for my doctor. I tried it was happy that it seems to melt quicker and without that nasty bitter orange taste.

Maybe it's in my head but I do feel I can do without the naloxone part so why chance even the smallest amount getting into one's system?

Cheaper too (not that I pay workers comp does)

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote