Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #101
Saint

Michael,

Take care of yourself Michael. Stay safe!

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #102
R. Lee

Michael, It took me 20 years between meetings. Don't try what I did.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #103
Saint

Michael ,
Hope you have a good weekend. Think through that first drink.

Saint
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #104
michaelc232

Thanks Saint. I had a very good weekend. I am over 2 weeks sober now and feeling good! Blessings.

Michael
michaelc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #105
Saint

Michael,

2 Weeks! That is great news indeed. Keep up the good work. Remember, we're here for you. Reach out for assistance when you need it. Make a phone call should you feel yourself struggling. As Lee said we often set ourselves up to drink long before actually doing so.

Have a great day Michael,
Saint
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-08-2013), Thank You (04-08-2013)
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #106
R. Lee

michael, great news to hear that you have 2 weeks sober. Keep doing what you are doing.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #107
michaelc232

Thank you both so much!
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #108
Saint

Michael,

When we make changes in our lives, big changes, we often feel a void, have time on our hands that we don't know to do with ourselves. I think it's important to have something else to occupy our time so we don't get back into the ritual of 'using' just to fill that void, i.m.o. Continue to focus on staying sober, keep that as your goal as you go through your day. I know I did a lot of reading and drinking diet coke when I stopped drinking alcohol. Looking back the diet coke was a substitute for the beer can that seemed to be forever in my hand or nearby. The 'pop' of the tab and weight of the can was 'familiar' to me. Sobriety is a lifestyle change and we need to evaluate people, places and things as we move forward with our lives. It may not feel like it at times but sobriety is a positive change, lol. I hope you don't feel like I'm lecturing, if so, forgive me. Keep up the good work Michael!

Saint
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-09-2013)
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #109
michaelc232

I never feel as if your lecturing Saint, I am always more than happy to hear your viewpoint and the viewpoints of other overcoming alcoholics in here. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I started a new diet a couple of weeks ago. It has had such a positive effect on my life I feel I should post about it in here for others to possibly use it as well. The diet is called Eating According to Your Blood Type and a Doctor did years of research on the different blood types and what they should eat for their bodies to function properly. There are many great things to eat on the diet, and it does not leave you feeling hungry or unsatisfied. And because you are eating everything natural and good for you personally, it also helps your body to heal itself quickly. The positive effects it has had on my mind and emotional balance is extraordinary. Before I started it, my mind would run away from me all day long, going back to hurtful memories, and painful things that happened in my past. It's like my mind has been almost completely healed, and the PAWS has little to no effect on me anymore. I have almost absolute control of my emotions, and my thought patterns. Not to mention the weight loss has been consistent. I would recommend this diet to every recovering alcoholic especially those in early recovery, it really does help! But anyways..... I am doing great today, and am 16 days sober. Blessings!

Michael
One User Says Thank You to michaelc232 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2013)
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #110
jenm

Hey Michael -

Congrats on 16 days!! I remember thinking it was absolutely impossible to reach 30 days without drinking. I remember it clearly. When I did get to 30 days, my friends gave me a card and everyone had signed it. I think I was more proud at that moment than I was when I received my Master's degree! You are doing great and I hear a lot of positive in what you write. I really believe in you and I believe that you want to stay sober. I'm proud of you! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2013)
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #111
Saint

Michael,

Congrats on 16 days, or is it now 17! Also glad to hear you positive and upbeat. Healthy living has it's own rewards. Keep up the good work.

Saint
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #112
R. Lee

Keep up the good work michael.
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #113
michaelc232

Yep today is day 17, and it feels great! Thank you all for the encouragement! I can't wait to hit day 30, it will be the longest I have stayed sober in a year and a half. I have so many positive things going for me right now! Not only am I losing weight and getting healthy, but this last weekend some awesome things took place as well. An Evangelist that I used to travel with all over the country doing outreaches came to our church. We did an outreach in a trailor park and the results were incredible and several people were added to our church that day. My Pastor saw the work that I was able to do, and has now put me over the entire outreach program for our church, something that I have longed to do for a long time now! I'm so excited about life in general, things are really beginning to look up for me! Blessings!

Michael
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #114
R. Lee

Great things will come trure if you work for them.

We must be aware that not everything in life is good. We have to be ready to accept them as they come along & work through them without picking up.
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #115
Saint

Michael,

Good things happen when we stay sober. Congrats on your new responsibilities with your church. I will caution you that it is early in your sobriety. Place a priority on sobriety first, everything else second. The days I felt on top of the world would be the days I would not give a second thought to drinking..... until the next morning. Not saying this will be true for you, just recommending caution.
Congrats again on 17 days Michael. Keep up the good work.

Saint
Thank You (04-11-2013)
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #116
jenm

Awesome Michael!

I agree with Saint. The days that I felt the best were the days that I felt I "deserved" to drink and my guard wasn't up at all. For me, it was easy to justify it when I was angry or if I was "wronged". That is great news about your position with your church. My spirituality is a huge part of who I am today, and my sobriety. Take care! Jenm
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-11-2013)
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #117
michaelc232

Thanks everyone, I will definitely keep my guard up, and keep what you said in mind.
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #118
michaelc232

3 weeks sober today!
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #119
Saint

Michael,

Sweet! Congrats on the 3 weeks. Pay attention to yourself, your moods, your 'triggers'. We are one drink away from starting the vicious drinking cycle all over again. Think through that first drink. Really does make a difference. I find myself evaluating, thinking through that first drink. There are many instances in life where drinks are often customary. Toasts, wine at dinners, a buddy or someone you meet may offer you a drink out of the blue. Prepare yourself ahead of time as to how you will react. It can make your choices a lot easier. Alcohol will always be lying in wait....

Keep up the good work Michael!

Have a good weekend,
Saint
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #120
R. Lee

michael, Congratulations on your 3 weeks of sobriety.

Remember King alcohol is just waiting for you to have a weak moment. Think through that next urge to drink.

You are doing great!!
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #121
michaelc232

Thanks guys! Planning ahead for how I will react to an offer for alcohol is a great idea. I'll definitely be thinking about that this next week. I have stayed super busy lately. Our church is growing and we are opening a free Coffee Shop for Sunday mornings, and I am running it. So I got to spend this week getting it all set up. Getting to be creative and think up some cool ideas for it was a GREAT outlet for stress. When I got all finished today, the setup looked beautiful and I am so proud of it. We also did another outreach today and I got to reach out to a young man (he is about my age) who is struggling with an addiction to drugs. He said he has alot of bad memories from going to Iraq and is using drugs to cope. I was able to pray with him and offer him some peace and encouragement, it felt great! I have come to the conclusion that the best cure for stress is helping somebody else deal with theirs. Life is good! Blessings.

Michael
Thank You (04-14-2013)
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #122
R. Lee

Michael, Giving back has great rewards.
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #123
michaelc232

Hey everyone! I'm 24 days sober today! I received some bad news yesterday. One of my good friends from College passed away in his sleep the other night. He was very young, and it sucks how life can be so unfair sometimes. It was a bittersweet moment for me because when things like this used to happen I would immediately want to use alcohol. This time I didn't and I was able to deal with it sober, and be there for a friend who was much more hurt by the situation than me. I can really feel my mind, body and soul making progress and moving further and further away from alcohol. I'm feeling great, and life is good! Blessings!

Michael
Thank You (04-17-2013)
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #124
Saint

Michael,

Sorry for the loss of a good friend. Every day is a blessing lest we forget.... and they are much better sober as you are learning. You are learning new ways to cope with life, the good and the bad. Nice of you to reach out, be there for a friend in need.

Take care,
Saint
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #125
Frankie

Way to go not drinking in such a tough time Michael! You help us all stay sober.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #126
R. Lee

Michael, Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Everyday life still goes on whether we are drinking or are sober.

By being sober you were able to be their for your friend.

You took one giant step for Michael by staying sober.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #127
michaelc232

Thanks guys! Yall are such an encouragement to me.
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #128
Saint

Michael,

Things will continue to get better for you. Stay vigilante, think through that first drink.

Have a great day,
Saint
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #129
michaelc232

One Month Sober today!
Thank You (04-20-2013)
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #130
R. Lee

Great job michael. Keep doing what you are doing.
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #131
julie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc232 View Post
One Month Sober today!
WooHoo!! Awesome for you.....it will just keep getting better!! One minute at a time!! Bless you. Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #132
Saint

Michael,

That's great news! Good for you. People, places, and things. Think through that first drink....

Awesome!

Saint
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #133
michaelc232

Thanks everyone! Each day seems to be getting a little bit brighter for me. I am finding more and more things that I am winning back from alcohol. My Clarity, Sanity and Memory are mine once again! Life is beautiful today. It might not be that way tomorrow, but in the words of my favorite teacher "Tomorrow will worry about itself." I am loving the new me! I have lost 13 pounds so far on my new diet! I took myself out shopping the other day for new clothes and it was nice. I am finally beginning to feel comfortable in my own skin again.

Also I am a Pack a Day Smoker. I am wanting to quit soon, but I figure I should wait awhile and not put too much stress on myself during early sobriety. What do you guys things about that?

These are just a few random thoughts floating around in my head today. Hope everyone is doing well! Blessings!

Michael
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #134
Saint

Michael. I believe we can achieve anything we choose to commit ourselves too. Take on what you think you can handle but don't be afraid to back off if you find yourself struggling. It's s better to win the war the worry about one battle. First things first.

Stay vigilante.

Peace, Saint
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #135
R. Lee

Keep doing what you are doing. "Tomorrow will wory about itself" works for me.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #136
jenm

Hi Michael!

You sound so positive, and I am so happy for you! Isn't it wonderful that we can be free? Continue to do what you are doing, as it is obvious that it is working. Getting sober is different for all of us, but what I have never heard is, "I got sober alone." Take care! Jenm
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #137
michaelc232

Thanks Saint and RLee. I will keep taking it one day at a time and dealing with tomorrow, tomorrow. Jenm, YES! It is such a wonderful thing to taste freedom, and to know the hard work I put in to get here. Also thinking about all of the people that love me that are helping me along the way, including all of you here, brings me so much joy.

Life is no longer a chore that I have to complete before I can get to my bottle. It is a beautiful story that I get to watch unfold everyday. Today I am feeling incredibly grateful. I am 22 years old, and I have gotten sober. I think of all the poor souls out there that couldn't stop until much later in life. I have my entire life ahead of me. I can still do all of the things that I ever wanted to do with my life. I am so appreciative of all of the people that didn't give up on me. They stuck with me through my mood swings, tantrums and lies and now they are finally getting to see me get up on my feet and actually LIVE. It's a beautiful thing. Blessings.

Michael
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #138
Saint

Michael,
You have such a great attitude, it will carry you far. Yes you have your whole life ahead. Stay vigilant and think through that first drink. Life is sooo much better sober. I can feel your positivity in your post. Congrats and as you move forward never forget where you came from.

Peace,
Saint
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-24-2013), Thank You (04-25-2013)
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #139
R. Lee

Michael, I like what you said it takes hard work to get sober. It is a job that we have to work on the rest of our lives.

You are seeeing the results of you hard work. Things will continue to get better.

After my time in sobriety I have to be aware of people places & things.

Good luck to you & keep coming back to share your experience strength & hope so other can learn from you that they have a chance to have what you have.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-24-2013), Thank You (04-25-2013)
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #140
Saint

Michael,

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Saint
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #141
michaelc232

Hey Saint! The weekend is going great. I dug up the flower beds by my house today and planted sunflowers. I'm going to have a huge sunflower garden this year. I figured it would be something else to keep me busy, plus I love gardening. My Grandpa had a garden when I was little and we would grow vegetables all spring and summer long. I am definitely not missing the massive hangover I would normally feel on a Saturday. I am about to get cleaned up and head over to a Men's Group Meeting for our church down at the local Pizza Shop. Then I have Church tomorrow and the Coffee Shop to run. It's a very busy weekend, but I am loving it! Blessings everyone!

Michael

Last edited by michaelc232; 04-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Typos
Thank You (04-30-2013)
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #142
Saint

Michael,

I am so happy for you!!!! Yea!!

I meant to plant some sunflowers last spring but I never made the time. It's still to cold to plant anything but the weather has been improving.

Keep up the good work Michael. You're taking your life back!!!!

Thanks for the update!
Saint
Thank You (04-27-2013)
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #143
michaelc232

Thanks Saint! I just got through reading all of my old posts from when I started..... WOW! I saw so many things reading back through those posts. I was taken back to that desperate hurting young man that sat alone in his room in Pittsburgh PA crying out for help. What a journey this has been! This makes me even more grateful to be sober, and so grateful to have people like you helping me along. Thank you all so much for sticking it out with me. A special thank you to CarlyO, wherever she may be, for reaching out so compassionately to a hurting young man in search of answers. I love you all! Blessings!

Michael
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #144
R. Lee

michael, Good for you. I wish everyone would go back & read their stories. Keep doing what your doing.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #145
jenm

Awesome, Michael. I can hear the positive in what you write. I'm so glad you read through your story because it is powerful, and a true testimony of how much you have changed. Take care! Jenm
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #146
michaelc232

Thanks R.Lee and Jen. Today was stressful. One frustration right after the other. All the stress brought up the strong urge to drink. Thanks R.Lee for always telling me to think through that first drink. After pondering the consequences of consuming alcohol I ,of course, quickly decided not to drink. I've calmed down from all the stress now, and I am still happily sober. Blessings!

Michael
Thank You (05-01-2013)
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #147
Saint

Nice job Michael! That's how you stay sober!!!!!!!!!!

Saint
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #148
R. Lee

michael, Good job. Simple message not always easy to do.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #149
michaelc232

40 days sober today!
2 Users Say Thank You to michaelc232 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-03-2013), Thank You (05-03-2013)
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #150
Saint

Thumbs up

One day at a time, step by step, we climb mountains!

Congrats Michael.

Saint
Thank You (05-03-2013)