Unread 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #452
Saint

Frank,

I'll go with what Lee said.....

Peace
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #453
Frankie

Thanks guys. The hardest part is dragging myself to that first meeting without making excuses why not to go, or just putting it off.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #454
Saint

Frank,

Go when you're ready to go....but take it from a serial procrastinator(me) there's no better time than now : )

I wish you well Frank
Saint
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #455
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Frank,

Go when you're ready to go....but take it from a serial procrastinator(me) there's no better time than now : )

I wish you well Frank
Saint
Serial procrastinator. Thats funny, and it fits. Thats what i've done for years, and I don't think that would be a good idea for me at this point. I just hope I don't fall into old habits and say "i'll do it later cause i'm ok now.

Frank
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #456
Carlos

I am not too sure that AA has ever worked for anyone. I think that anything it may be a conicidnet and an illusion that it has ever done anything by any one.

I am sure that you will find hundreth or thoiusand of people what woudl testify and witness that they are better now, and that AA save their live.
I wonder if they ever consider the posibility that they actually did it on their own and that they were just around AA or was going to AA when they stop. Giving the impression and swearing that infact it was AA who save their live. But if you ask them to prove it, there statements are full of demagogic statement and retorical statement, but not one piece of evidence that in fact was AA that did it.

There is also another posibility, total abstineence is not alway a goal. It it is trully not a problem for you and people drink moderatly, in spite AA member believes there are plety of people who use to have problem with dirinking who are trully drinking in moderation. You will ask me 100th of time to have a beer with you, years go by and once in a while I will have a drink or actully drink a bottel of rum with my roomate two years ago on New Years, and have not drank since. Alcohol does not drive my life anymore and I do not think about it muchl.

Most of the stuff they talk in AA is religous stuff whether they admitt it or not. and I do not care but FEderal Courst have declare to have of religious nature.

There are number of people who are using Natraxon and is no longer drinking as a problem
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #457
CarlyO

Hi Carlos,

IMO many people have similar view about AA - but there are also other programs, the goal here is to educate and get info out there so that people can find what works for them. I understand your beliefs, personally - just for me- I cannot discount the fact that everyday people who suffer from the hellish disease of alcoholism DO find a way to put it in remission, whatever it is. Again just my opinion as whatever it takes , whatever works, then that is the ultimate goal.

Thanks for sharing your views - and look forward to seeing more posts from you. Hope all is well with you , take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #458
CarlyO

Hi Frankie,

Just wanted to check up on you - would love to see an update if the spirit moves you.

Take care of yourself, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #459
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Hi Frankie,

Just wanted to check up on you - would love to see an update if the spirit moves you.

Take care of yourself, Carly
Hi Carly,

Thanks for checking although this thread is kind of worn out by now. I'm still doing the drinky poo once per week, and not a whole lot has changed sorry to say. Hope you are ok despite the bad weather and all, but I guess nothing compares to Japan. You think you have problems in life and then Japan comes along and lets you know you're styling. Take care Carly,

Frank
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #460
R. Lee

Hi Frank. Hope your doing well. Yes when we look at Japan I have to be grateful for what I have. Thanks for checking in & letting us know what you have been up to.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #461
CarlyO

Hi Frank - I was getting a bit worried about you thanks for posting !

Yes, good point --- I agree about Japan, I mean those that make it through the disasters
( earthquake/tsnunami) now have to deal with being homeless, no food etc... my heart goes out to them.

Anyway, you take care TOO Frank !

Carly
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #462
Full

I think everyone should live in harmony with themselves, personally. I think everyone is a special case, but you also cannot ignore basic data here. Most people that are considered alcoholics can't drink moderately. They have a problem, and they typically need some sort of group therapy to kick the habit. I'm not saying everyone does, but most people do.
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #463
membluess

Frank,
To be honest I just found this site. May 14 will be 30 yrs sober for me. Day at a time, not meant as a brag. Something I learned early was that I wasnt going to AA for anyone else but me. Didnt really like people that much anyway. I went to at least one meeting a day for the first 20 yrs, dont get me wrong, missed a day here or there, but some days went to to 3 meetings. We all talk about the addiction to alcohol, drugs, etc. The thing I had to change was my addiction to that lifestyle as well. It goes well beyond the people places and things idea. AA gave me a new outline for a way of thinking. A guideline for how to handle situations. As for the people, if what they say isnt in the book, it isnt. 12 step groups or any recovery program arent made up of well folks trying to get sick, but sick folks trying to get well. Depending on where they are in their personal journey, they might be jerks or super great folks. I personally recommend what was recommended to me. Big Book meetings. You still dont have to share, read or say much more then Hi my name is Frank, I am an alcoholic and I would like to pass. If someone tries to pressure you to read, just repeat what you just said. I was told I should be polite, after the guy asked me for a third time and I asked him if he was deaf. Sponsors go figure.
I never played well with others I guess. But then maybe I never will. I learned the principles of the program, which allowed me to get a life outside of the program. The program is a new lifestyle that allows me to live in society, honestly, and sleep well at night. Lots of folks look at 12 step programs as a social club. Yes I have made a few friends over the years, but thats not why I go. I go because it gave me everything I needed, sort of like school, but after a while I started to look forward to class. The things that I didnt feel were covered well enough for me, I got outside help with. I really like the place this program has brought me to. For me it was always getting better, even when I thought it couldnt. Is it perfect?, no, but I have the tools to deal with whatever comes into my life. if I question my decision, i know who to ask that will give me an honest answer, not just what I want to hear. You say you are afraid to share, talk or read at a meeting. I think you have an advantage over a lot of people I have seen. Wish more folks would listen when they are new. Got questions, get a sponsor, you never have to lay your personal life out at a meeting. My first sponsor told me the dumbest question I had was the one I wouldnt ask him.
Go to the meetings, separate out the folks that have what you want and just listen to the rest, take it or leave it. Trust me, time doesnt make a person a winner. I have listened to folks 5 yrs along and said wow wish I had looked at it that way. I would much rather have a guy who questions the validity of the program to go to meetings with then a guy that says he knows it all. I try never to stop learning about this lifestyle. I have traveled a good portion of the east coast as far as upper NY and west as far as KY. Some meetings make me wonder, others leave me wondering. The nice part about a program is its my personal path. No matter where or what, I stick to the book. Today i not only can share at meeting, speak, or even on occasion chair. All i had to do was continue to go and continue to listen. Never went back out, but I know I still could. Well i guess I will just continue doing what I have been doing, it works for me, and I would love to see it work for you.
Respectfully:
Membluess

Last edited by membluess; 05-05-2011 at 01:50 AM..
membluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #464
R. Lee

Membluess, Welcome to the site. I chaired a Bigbook meeting today. When I sought out help through a support group I thought I was just quitting drinking. I soon found out that there was so much more wrong with me than just drinking.
I was a me, me, & more me person. I roared through peoples lives.
I did what was suggested & today just for today I'm a sober man. Not a dry drunk or a wet drunk.
King alcohol is just waiting for me to get away from the program.
It is not the 50th drink that will get me it will be the first drink.
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #465
CarlyO

Hi Membluess and Full ,
Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing , I hope you will continue to post and/or even start your own threads !

Frank - How are you ?? It;s been a while.

Hi Lee : ) Thanks as always .

Take care - hope everyone has a great weekend. Carly
Unread 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #466
CarlyO

Hi Frank,

It has been a long time since a post , have you forsaken us? Seriously, I do hope you are ok and perhaps you will send us an update. You know that we understand it takes what it takes, I just hope you are healthy and all is well with the family.

Take care Frank, Carly
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #467
Frankie

Hi Carly and all,

Almost forgot my user name. I think thats a hint to me that I haven't been around for a while? I'm still doing the same thing expecting different results. Thanks for checking you guy's. I just started reading "the truth about addiction and recovery" again. Good or bad, right or wrong It's better than nothing. Thats about all I'm doing now, but It's better than reaching for a James Patterson, or Michael Connelly at bed time. Hope you all are doing well and getting through the heat depending on where you live. Take care,

Frank
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #468
R. Lee

Frankie my best to you. You don't have to live like this. You know where you can go to get some help. Give yourself a break. I'm glad that you are still alive.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #469
Frankie

Thanks Lee, and thanks membluess for such a long response. As far as going to meetings and sharing, I don't think it would bother me much now as I don't have a business, and don't really care, but I'm just not sure I can get into AA being an atheist and all. I know, "fake it till you make it", but been there, done that.

What I did like about AA was being around other people with drinking problems, but most if not all the meetings I went to were adamant about "without God, you don't have a chance". If I remember correctly, the big book says just that. The good thing about AA is that it is everywhere though.

How many miles on your Indian Lee? Be careful! Lots of bad drivers now, not to mention drunks, drugies, and people who have never been behind the wheel of a car before comming here.

Frank
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #470
CarlyO

Default Hi Frank !

Dear Frank,

So good to see a post from you. Yes! i cannot believe it was Jan. time flies ! I often wondered how things were going , how are you ?

I like speaker meetings esp in the beginning, when I didn't want to share.

Anyway, hope you won't be a stranger, you've been missed !
Take Care Frank, Carly
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #471
R. Lee

Frankie, Take what you want & leave the rest. I have a higher power but I can't explain it. I just know that a human did not create the universe, hense a higher power. With than behind me I realize that I'm not in charge.My best to you.
The Indian has just over 8 grand on it.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #472
stp747

Frankie, I have been reading your posts so I thought I would chime in here. I am not much for A.A. either, but I am very glad it works for people. With that said, there are groups that are not based on any type of god,or higher power. Rational Recovery is one and if you did a search I know there are more. Good Luck, Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #473
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Dear Frank,

So good to see a post from you. Yes! i cannot believe it was Jan. time flies ! I often wondered how things were going , how are you ?

I like speaker meetings esp in the beginning, when I didn't want to share.

Anyway, hope you won't be a stranger, you've been missed !
Take Care Frank, Carly
Hi Carly,

Glad you are still here, and thanks for thinking of me. I had this thread set to alert me all this time via email, but apparently it didn't work, so I just assumed the thread was dead, so I reset it. It's probably my computer, and I'm too cheap to buy a new one. Ha!

Yeah, I could go to speaker meetings, but I think I would get more out of regular meetings hearing a lot of sharing, but It's a matter of getting to that first meeting thats the hard part for me, and of course that other little problem of not having the god thing. I know, excuses, excuses. How are you doing Carly? Did you sell the house? I haven't. Thanks,

Frank
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #474
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp747 View Post
Frankie, I have been reading your posts so I thought I would chime in here. I am not much for A.A. either, but I am very glad it works for people. With that said, there are groups that are not based on any type of god,or higher power. Rational Recovery is one and if you did a search I know there are more. Good Luck, Steve
Hi stp,

Actually in the resent past I did do some checking around, but where I live the near by large cities are just too far, and as far as I know the speciality meetings (lack of a better word) are in the larger cities. I live in So Cal., and those would be San Diego, LA, or Orange County.

I do have a Rational Recovery book somewhere. I remember that I didn't get a whole lot out of it, but it could have been my frame of mind at the time. I remember the AA's I talked to trashed it, but that was to be expected and I knew it at the time. Maybe I will I dig it out if I didn't get rid of it. Thank,

Frank
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #475
Saint

Frank,

Great to see you posting again.......... it's been too long, you've been missed. I have also wondered at times how you've been.

Take care Frank,
Saint
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #476
Magda

Hi Frank,
I talk with a guy who has written many works on addiction, recently he sent me one on how support groups are in need of reaching a greater number of people seeking help. It is something that I feel very strongly about and the hope is that somehow there will be a widely used peer support group as an alternative to what's currently available. Just wanted to say hello and let you know there are people trying to make "choice" more available to folks like you!
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #477
bondagefree96

HI

I just look for what is simular and leave the rest. I know one thing and that any alcoholic has the same symptoms, use more then I wanted, failed attemps to cut down, used alcohol longer then I wanted, tolerance etc etc. I am no different then the next guy. I might have done different things. The thing I had to do is live differently no matter if I attended AA or not. Alcohol was just a small part of my problem.

Robert
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #478
R. Lee

bondagefree96, I agree with you. I don't want to be a dry drunk.
Unread 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #479
Dan458

I stayed sober for 17 years off the first three steps. I didn't have whatever it takes to go further in the steps. But regardless of how much time anyone accumulates in whatever program, during those days we were sober, we were successful. Who knows what may have happened during those days if we hadn't been sober?
Dan458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #480
Magda

That is a great perspective Dan.The method of recovery is not as important as the actual "doing". Many times I have altered my program in a way I felt better suited my personality and it sometimes it worked, other times I had to alter my attempts. This is a learning process, we will have good and bad experiences. They all count!
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #481
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magda View Post
Hi Frank,
I talk with a guy who has written many works on addiction, recently he sent me one on how support groups are in need of reaching a greater number of people seeking help. It is something that I feel very strongly about and the hope is that somehow there will be a widely used peer support group as an alternative to what's currently available. Just wanted to say hello and let you know there are people trying to make "choice" more available to folks like you!
Hi Magie,

Again, I didn't know anyone was on this thread as my email is not being notified from this site. Thanks for the hope of finding alternative meetings, and I hope it doesn't take many years to happen.

Frank
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #482
Frankie

[QUOTE=Saint;403023]Frank,

Great to see you posting again.......... it's been too long, you've been missed. I have also wondered at times how you've been.

Take care Frank,
Saint[/QUOTE

Hi Saint, thanks for checking. Hope things are right your way.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #483
R. Lee

You are in my thoughts Frankie. Take care.
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #484
Saint

Frank,
Hi - Things are going well for me. Thanks for asking Frank. Hoping all is well with you and the Mrs.

Saint
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #485
Frankie

Thanks for checking guys, and I also think of all of you too. Sounds like you are doing well.

Frank
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #486
Saint

Frank.

Haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you? Hope things continue to go well for you.

Regards,
Saint
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #487
Frankie

Hi Saint,

I've just been busy, but have been checking in to see how things are going for everyone here. Very happy that you checked!

Frank
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #488
R. Lee

Frank, Thanks for checking it. You help me stay sober for another 24 hours.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #489
Saint

Smile

Happy to hear from you Frank!!! Thanks for checking in! I miss ya when you don't post.

Saint
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #490
Tryntryagain

Hello Frankie. Bright blessings to you.

I am sending you a huge Christmas hug, (there is always one there anyway) and to let you know you are in my thoughts.

A very happy Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong my friend. Loveness to you Frankie
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #491
Frankie

All the best to you Tryn! I almost can't believe how really well you are doing and I knew that you could do it. It seems that folks like us at some point just stop fighting it and give up the drinking. Take care,

Frank
One User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-24-2013)
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #492
Tryntryagain

HAPPY NEW YEAR FRANKIE!

The very, very best to you my friend. I have "slung" a hug as hard as i can throw it, so have a look out the window. If not, it's the thought that counts!

Loveness to you Frankie
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #493
R. Lee

Happy New Year Frank!!
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #494
Frankie

Happy new year to all, and I do think the new year is going to be a very good one for all of us. Thanks to all here! Keep the shiny side up Lee.

Frank
One User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-08-2014)
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #495
R. Lee

Happy New years to you Frank. The Indian never stopped giving me trouble. I got rid of it last May trading it in & now have a Goldwing trike.
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #496
Saint

Happy New Year's Frank!!!
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #497
gmasusie

Happy New Year, Frank
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #498
Saint

Frank,

How the heck are you Frank? Seems like ages. Time flies when I'm getting old.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Saint
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #499
Frankie

Hi Saint,

I've been popping in here and there, but you've been too busy getting older and not noticing. Just kidding! You are a runner and will never get old. What's the diff. between broccoli and buggers you ask? Kids won't eat broccoli. Take care Saint,

Frank
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #500
Saint

Frank,

Ha good joke.... and so true, haha.

I see you popping in once in a while we just don't get to chat much no more : )

Take care Frank,
Saint