Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
bakshish

Default weight of an 8mg pill?

Hey folks,

Does anyone know the weight of an 8mg subutex pill? We all know that there is 8mg of medication in there, but there must be many times more than that of fillers, binders, etc.

I'm considering buying a jewelers scale to help get my taper exact, and I need to know if I really need to get the one that is accurate down to a milligram or not. The accuracy of the scale relates directly to the price.

Also, anyone have any experience using a scale in this manner with Sub?

Peace and thanks.
bakshish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Bassdad

Bakshish,

WELCOME to NAABT.

I believe it is 10mgs total weight for Suboxone,8mgs of Buprenorphine and 2mgs of Naloxone.I have never weighed Suboxone,only Subutex.It's really not nessesary to be that exact in mgs to taper to 0mgs if done correctly.Once below 1mg a day,you should be able to stop without any problems.IMO.......

Later,
Bassdad

Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
nursejoan

Baksish, sub also comes in a 2mg pill. i think its easer to taper with a smaller dose pill.
momo
nursejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
bakshish

Thanks for your replies Bassdad and momovsix. However, I asked about the exact weight of a Subutex pill, not Suboxone. I'm on Subutex, which is 'pure' buprenorphine, no naloxone. That said, the weight of this pill (8mg), and the physical weight of any pill is almost never the same as the weight of the medication within the pill, ie, the dose. Pills are full of binders, fillers, dyes, coatings, etc.
I've found that the cost of switching to the 2mg pills is pretty prohibitive. My 'scrip cost will actually go up, even if I'm still taking the same amount of Subutex per day. The reason I'm leaning toward the scale is that I've found these pills to be damned hard to split up. Sure, you can cut an 8mg pill in half along the cross with a razor blade pretty easily...but even getting one half into a quarter cannot be done precisely...these pills are meant to dissolve, so they are not hard - they tend to break into many pieces, spraying crumbs and powder all over. Quite a pain. (One of these days I'm gonna find the dog in a stupor, crumb-eater that he is...) Also, the size itself: an oval, couldn't be much worse for eyeballing an even division past one half and one half. Think: if they were squares, it would be much easier to compare the pieces and determine if you were making even breaks.
What I want to do is go down slow...all sources point to slow and steady getting the job done right. And it seems to me that an accurate scale would be the best tool for doing the job right.

So, again...anyone know how much an 8mg Subutex pill weighs?

Peace to all and sundry.

Bakshish
bakshish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
kaye

What confuses me is how someone is on "0" mg. of sub. The way I've read it is that they taper from 1 mg to .5 mg to "0" mg,,,,,,,,,,,, I always thought "0" meant none, zero, nada,,,,,,,,,,,,,, am I wrong in assuming this??? Anyway, if you're down to at least .5 you have got to be at a dose that if you 'jump' off SHOULD be NOT MUCH TO JUMP OFF from????????............ Am I confused or what???? I'm at 1/4 of an 8 mg. tab. Is my next step "0" mg. meaning nothing??????????????????? I'm being serious asking this question.

Blessings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, kayte
kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
nursejoan

i guess after that dose you can just lick it.LOL.
momo
nursejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
OhioMike

Well Kaye some people cannot jump at .05mg and then some people can jump at a much higher dose. IMO if you are at .05mg and still having problems, then very slowly expand your .05mg dose out by the hour over a period of time until you get to the point that you are well past the point of the half life and then jump off.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
marlou

Kaye,

What I think bassdad means by "0mg" is "nothing" - sometimes when you are typing on the forum you just type what you see in your mind. He didn't literally mean 0.00000000000xn mg.

Also you are only down to approximately 2mg and that is, for many people, still too much to jump off of...now imagine to get to .5mg (1/2 of a mg), you have to take that quarter piece of your 8mg suboxone (which is round, unlike subutex, so a bit easier to split) and break that into 4 pieces to get down to 0.5mg. Basically to get 0.5mg you have to split that one suboxone into 16 equal pieces. Pretty difficult to do, unless you have a scale and know the exact weight of the pill, not the miligrams of the drug that's in it - those are two different things. If you know the actual weight then you can split that into 16, using the scale.

A lot of people think that the mg of the drug is the exact weight of the pill, but that isn't so. Look at a tiny 10mg valium and an 8mg subozone - the sub weighs much more. This is because all of the fillers and crap that is put in the pill to give it its shape and color.

And it makes it more difficult when the pill is oval shaped, like a subutex. There is no way you could break an 8mg subutex pill into 16 separate pieces that weigh exactly the same so that you can take 1/2mg.

I hope that this makes sense. Scales are priced according to how accurate they are, and if bakshish needs to buy one that can weigh out mg's, then it might be more expensive than one that doesn't.

~marlou~
marlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
marlou

I have digital scales and a suboxone is 0.4 grams, so if a subutex weighs about the same, then my $20 digi scales wouldn't be accurate enough for what you need. One sixteenth of a suboxone (which would be 0.5, or 1/2, mg) would weigh 0.025, so you would need a scale that could weigh to that. That might be expensive, but I'm not sure - you might be able to find one on ebay for less than $50. Again, I know you are trying to divide a subutex, but I hope this helps.

~marlou~
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
marlou

Is anyone else able to weigh their pills and come up with an answer?

~marlou~
Unread 09-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi deathtosuboxone, welcome. I moved your posts to a new thread for better visibility as this one is 9 years old.

http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=30491

Thanks.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote