Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #4701
OhioMike

Thumbs up

Good Saturday Morning my fellow Sub-Suckers….. (I wonder if that is politically correct?? LOL)

Well, I’m a Sub-Sucker and darn proud of it and happy to be so!

At 7:30am all is well in recovery land and the morning Brew is ready and exceptionally good this morning, so come on and enjoy!

Our local racing season is over and actually I stopped early in the spring, just unable to go on. We still have one ca show left though, the Halloween Show and it is great fun.

My youngest daughter is now a full RN and practitioner with graduation taking place tomorrow. I naturally am very proud and happy for her. A single mom who can now be secure in life. Also my bucket list just got a bit more full.

V, thank you and I understand. I do try to look at things in the best possible light, but, it can be a tough trick to pull off. Today I can no longer take one step w/o a forearm crutch on each arm and today I cannot raise my head high enough from a standing position to even be able to see what is on a normal height kitchen counter top. I am 6”1’, but today only stand about 5”6’ being bent over that much. I have to rely on a electric mobility scooter or my wheel chair. Yet I know and I do see it daily, those who would love to trade places with me. So I am thankful for my blessings I am simply getting tired of fighting the battle and at some point the game will have to be called due to bad weather. V, you have always been one of those people who I will reread and whom I always seem to find something very good I can take from what you share. Those things always seem to cover many parts of my life.

Deanna, we all have been through a lot haven’t we! When I resigned from the board at the sober club I really backed off meetings and postings. Still all of you here stayed in my daily thoughts, as did those at the club. I needed to get busy in life and I did. Deanna, I have shared your story so many times and even when I give a lead. ………. It’s funny, even when I backed off the club and here, recovery and the discussion of it still found a way into my daily life, as if God were trying to prevent me from letting it totally slip from my mind.

Nan, you need to have all of us over for brunch! ………. I LOVE brunch. When my oldest was wee little, each week I would buy her the prettiest dress I could find and then each Sunday just she and I would go out for brunch. (her sister was too young) and it gave us time alone with out the baby. Ever since brunch has been my favorite meal of the day!

Have a super day every one and please watch for your blessing today, it will be there.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #4702
OhioMike

I posted about this in its own thread, but, I wanted to share some more personal thoughts here. This tired debate about “clean and dirty” has finally grown unforgiveable to me.

In this day and age with as much as we know and understand about this disease, if one still cannot grasp the fact that the goal, the important factor is, living addiction free in recovery. Leaving the life in “active” addiction, in the past.

With that said, exactly what is addiction, as in, how does it effect our lives in negative ways? We all know the physical, it is simple to understand. If we don’t take the substance, then we get physically ill for a while. That is not only just one of many ways it effects us, it is the easiest to understand and the easiest to deal with and to work through, though when in the moment, we don’t understand that. BUT, WHAT ABOUT THE REST?????????????????? The real serious issues of this disease. The negative which is really tough to change and heal from and the negative which takes months and years to change!!!!!

Folks lets be honest, the real crime of this disease is the mental and emotional. That is the hell we must escape from and heal from. Having the shits, creepy crawly skin, restless legs and some anxiety is easy to treat and is very short term, with maybe the exception of anxiety being a longer term gig. But changing our thinking, our emotions, personalities and so on is the battle, that is where the war is fought and no medication is going to do that for us!

So NO it is NOT a matter of dirty or clean, it is in fact a matter of living a life in active addiction or living a life in recovery, addiction free! It is a matter of taking medications properly as directed for a real chronic medical issue or misusing it and/or making it just a replacement substance.

Please do not let others drag you into this type of doubt or battle. Manage your recovery as you see fit, based on what is going to heal you! ………… & that will be somewhat different for each of us!

Please enjoy this day in recovery.
Unread 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #4703
deanna

Good Morning friends! Mike, I am glad to see you posting, and totally relate to your "clean and dirty" post. As a matter of fact, just the other day, the 16th, I had my 6 yr anniversary in recovery and I posted it on facebook to my friends and family, but I wrote " 6yrs SOBER today", I did not write clean, or recovery, but SOBER cause I felt like I know for certain I havent had a single drink in 6 yrs, but I have had the medication buprenorphine in my body for 6 years....so I guess while yes, I am living in recovery, and am not addicted to anything...I am dependent on a medication that helps me live a normal life, whatever normal is, lol. It has helped save me, as Ive said so many times, without it I would have never made it to this point.
As so many others say on this board, I never imagined I would have been on the medication for this long, 6 yrs. wow. But this is how it turned out, and I have 6 yrs that I never once had to call a drug dealer, I never once had to lie, I never once felt the horrid withdrawals, or hangovers, or being guilty and ashamed. I have been clear headed and in the present. Learning and coping everyday with the things that happen to me and dont search for drugs to numb the feelings I dont like to feel. That in itself is the one of the biggest accomplishments of my life. And thats not exaggerating at all! From my 20s, to now in my 40s I struggled with cocaine, pills, alcohol....finally, yes finally I have freedom from all those demons and I owe it all to making the step, the first step into the doctors office to get help.
So, I guess I done care if someone calls me dirty. I dont feel dirty, I feel free.
Thank You (10-07-2014), Thank You (09-21-2014), Thank You (09-21-2014), Thank You (09-22-2014), Thank You (09-21-2014)
Unread 10-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #4704
OhioMike

Good Saturday Morning Survivors!

Grab a cup of something warm and sit a while.

Well our warmth has finally ended, chilly today and the winds are kicking up. I was going to spend the day outside kicking up a couple of log torches and one fire pit while the boys helped with the yard and garage, but, not with the wind.

This weekend is sizing up thus far to be a good one. I picked up a new power recliner, but, the real prize is the new power mobility chair I am getting. It has all of the goodies and can even invert me to nearly zero gravity at anytime and that will go a long way in helping me with one of my most bothersome medical issues, poor circulation in my legs. Terrible open and deep ulcers have been a huge problem because of this and this new chair can really be a tool in helping to prevent that.

Amen Deanna, I don't care if they call me dirty or not either. It is sad though to see a person new to recovery walk into a peer support meeting and forced to leave in tears halfway through.

It's funny a couple of months ago when I went to refill my subutex script they told me you still have one here which you never ordered to be filled. Ha, I could see me doing that with vicodin LOL.

Today I take my Sub as needed to help battle the pain. On my good days that means I won't take any and I can get some good runs like that or a week or two. Then other times hings are so rough I need to dose with it multiple times per day. That is called freedom, the blessing of recovery! We are blessed.

oh, an update on the rest of the family, the grandson is playing peewee football, the granddaughter is cheering, my father at 92 still comes to work with us each day and my mother in law is still a pain in the ass!

DAWN??? ........ she is as wonderful as ever!
Unread 10-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #4705
Leo

Hey Mike and friends, great to hear y'all.

Hey Deanna you hit the nail on the head when you say you aint had to lie etc. That's what I love about getting into treatment. It's about getting honest and being honest. Today too, I dont have to lie and cheat both myself and others to feed my dreadful addiction.

Great to read your latest posts Mike. I have always appreciated your up front honesty and strength of character. Mother-in-law, pain in the butt? I'm sure you can cope admirably!

Best wishes and have a great Tuesday all addiction survivors.

Leo
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-09-2014)
Unread 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #4706
deanna

Good morning friends. I love October, the beautiful change in the weather, and the leaves changing... but then again, October is a reminder of my many road trips to Michigan 4 years ago, to visit my brother in the hospital in the final days before he died.
He was a great man, he had a great job, a great family, and in the blink of an eye, a semi hit him head on while on a business trip, and it left him in the hospital for a month hooked up to a morphine drip. In that time, he went from robotics engineer, national champion powerlifter, to a dark helpless soul, seeking drugs was the only thing on his mind after that. He got a half a million dollars for being hit by that semi, and two years later, it was all gone, the dilaudid dealer had it all. My brother eventually robbed a store and got caught and spent 4 yrs in prison. When he got out he was my old brother again, he found God, he was good. A few years of sobriety later, one day he was at lunch with some clients, they offered him a drink.....why not? he thought. Well, fast forward two years, and he died in hospice with complete liver failure. At 42. Tomorrow will be the 4 year anniversary of the day he died. He was my only brother, my parents only son.
This story reminds me every day not to take my recovery for granted. At any time, if I took that one drink, or took that one pill, I could very well have the same outcome my brother did. My parents wouldnt have any children at all. Living in recovery is glorious, I wish my brother could have kept reminding himself of that, and never took that first drink again. He would be here today, successful and happy and healthy. Watching him die is something I will never forget.
So, yea, I love October. I can smell the leaves, the cooler air, and I feel my brother is with me. I feel connected to him most in this month.

Everyone reading this today, dont ever for a day take your recovery for granted. Its a precious gift. Some of us never get to experience life like we do. Some never get free of their demons. Be proud of who you are today. I know my brother looks down on me from heaven and is very proud of his big sister.
I love October.
Thank You (09-07-2015), Thank You (10-12-2014), Thank You (02-07-2015), Thank You (10-13-2014), Thank You (10-13-2014)
Unread 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #4707
OhioMike

An update of sorts. I finally made it, my body finally gave up and failed. I am now in a nursing home. I have been here for 3 weeks and I expect to be here for some time. When I was taken in to the hospital, I couldnt even stand. I could not support my own frame, I just dropped to floor like a rock. So that is it frommy corner of the world.
Unread 02-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #4708
Sam Bailey

Hey OMike,

Oh man, I am terribly sorry to hear this news. We are all mortal; we all come with a time limit of some duration. Of course we know this. But it's the wholly unexpected events along this mortal path that are sometimes really, really crummy. So I've come to believe.

So many things in my life, for certain! that I had not anticipated...well, they happened anyway. Surely you didn't expect this curveball, of course. Yet still.....

Damn Mike, just so sorry you're dealing with such a thing.

However, you did NOT say that your move is permanent, that your condition is irreparable---so that's a positive, right? I sure hope so.

IF there's anything that you can do to help yourself, man...do it! Physical therapy, et al. I know you will. Whatever you do, Mike, don't give up.

Never, ever.

Best to you, OM.

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #4709
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Mike, so sorry to hear what's going on with you. I hope you are getting everything and everyone you can to get you back home in much good shape! You're in my thoughts.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #4710
OhioMike

I hope everyone here is doing well or at least as well as can be expected. Remember, if you made it here, now you have freedom of choice, please, choose lasting recovery!
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 11-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #4711
asking2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikanh80 View Post
Hello!!!!!!! Its great to be back on here and read through the posts.
I have to say regarding the bath salts....its a terrible thing thats being done. I think most kids trying it have no idea how powerful it is or WHAT it is...and they become addicted and before you know it they are wasted away and just a mess. I read about a death from it 3 years ago, and then it wasn't as well known and not regulated or controlled by any laws....and Im happy to see some states ARE banning the sale & distribution of it, but we all know that this doesn't exactly make it "go away", and unfortunately more lives will be lost due to this new "drug", and its a nasty result-what it does to your body, it deteriorates people in months. Very sad indeed.

So OhioMike....I am happy to hear you've had good results with some of the supplements we discussed a while back! That makes me smile!! We all need some help, and there are plenty of benefits found right in our beautiful nature. I have done a LOT of research on a particular amino acid that has been the topic of some recent medical studies done in some of the top schools in the Boston area, and elsewhere in the nation. I admit I was somewhat skeptical, as I am with all "hot", "new" or "miracle" supplements that seem to gain a ton of press suddenly, but after really reading up on it and speaking to people who have long term use of it, I decided to try it for myself and I am amazed. I invite you to search it for yourself so you can read the outstanding number of benefits this 1 supplement provides us. So first of all it is L-TYROSINE. L-Tyrosine is 1 of the 22 naturally occuring amino acid in our bodies. Long story short....many groups of people have very depleted levels of this amino acid, which has been found in research to cause a large variety of bothersome health affects/issues. In diet-its only found in high-protein foods, such as meats, cheeses & some nuts & a few produce items, however even when consumed regularly, levels can be depleted due to certain brain fucntion problems also, such as depression. Anyway....it is marketed as a supplement for support of the nervous system & its functions...because it is synthesized into DOPAMINE! Then its synthesized into epinephrine & norepinephrine. Due to this....it is CRUCIAL for humans to have L-Tyrosine at full levels in order for our brains to cope with stressful situations, like so many of us do!! Like job woes, financial woes, a death in the family, depression, anxiety and all that causes that. The number of studies linking L-Tyrosine to the eradication & management of depression alone are insane! They have found that it actually is more than 10 times more effective than other supplements for depression such as St.John's Wort, and even some medications. One impressive fact is that L-Tyrosine is metabolized and begins working within 1 HOUR of ingesting the supplement!!! Thats practically unheard of. One study said that people taking it for depression should literally feel better within 1 hour of taking it, and if they don't, to increase the dose and take more until they do! Thats how powerful it is! An important thing to note is that it should always be taken on an EMPTY stomach, so first thing in the morning makes the most sense. I'm writing you a book here, I apologize lol.....so Ill just summarize the other many benefits it has been noted to be HIGHLY effective for: Anxiety, Depression, Lack of Energy/Lack of Focus/Lethargy, Trouble Losing Weight, Appetite Control, Stress, Low Libido, and more. And believe it or not...since its a precursor to melanin (skin color), when taken on a regular basis it actually tans your skin and absorbs UV rays more rapidly, so wearing SPF is needed. So all in all....it rather instantly alleviates depression & anxiety, increases your energy levels, endurance & mental focus, allows the body to handle the effects of stressful events, and has helped mild pain, especially in the legs the studies have reported. It creates Dopamine, and we all know why thats good lol. Its usually sold in 500mg tablets/capsules. They say to take 1,500-3,000mg for the first week, daily, and then 500mg-1,000mg daily after that.

Its been so promising in case studies....that medical Doctors are now commonly prescribing it to patients being treated for Depression & for ADD in place of meds like adderall/ritalin, or in addition to. Both of these have reported huge success rates, and patient satisfaction.

So I just wanted to relay this info to you.....it is now part of my daily regimen myself, and I can attest to the almost instant lift in mood in energy levels. When I tapered from 4mg to 2mg of Subutex, I did notice an impact in my energy level, and it was around that time that I was in the middle of researching this supplement.....I admit that once in a while I was taking my husband's Adderall which he is prescribed for his ADD, and it always helped me to "get going" in the morning. Well when I started taking the L-Tyrosine, I felt the EXACT same boost in energy, only without the jittery & sometimes nauseating feeling I got from the Adderall.

I thought you'd be interested in this info since we have discussed so much about supplements in the past...and this one I can confidently say that I believe everybody going through opiate addiction treatment would greatly benefit from using this daily. When we stop using opioid agonists...our brain becomes "confused" and the neurotransmitters are all "out of whack" and it takes a lot of time in recovery for all of our amino acid levels and our neurotransmitter activity to stabilize in a healthy, normal-fucntioning manner.....and until that occurs, we tend to all experience mood changes, sometimes even daily, depression, panic attacks/anxiety, lethargy and no energy at all at times. This supplementation can alleviate so much of that, and its NATURAL!! Basically the L-Tyrosine gives our brain function & activity a big ol' BOOST, and gets the brain to recover quickly, hence us "feeling better". I hope this information is useful to you....of course always check with your doctor if you are on prescribed medications just to be safe, but there are practically no health conditions on their own that prevent the safe use of L-Tyrosine in a daily supplement form.
I hope this can be beneficial to people on here.....I so desperately want to help others, and with my knowledge of supplements, I hope this is the means which I CAN be helpful. Let me know how you are doing OhioMike....I do miss you dearly, and hope you are doing well. And to everyone else also, I hope you are all well....this forum has always been a tool for me, and I can't put a value on just how great its been for me, because its been a life-saver. I am re-commiting myself to posting here & being active again, because I NEED this community to be successful!!!!! Love to you ALL!! xoxoxoxoxo Hope to talk to you all very soon. Check in & say hi when you have time! From 'Rainy New England'......Erika
Thanks so much for this post . I am currently on Suboxone, and at first, I had energy and felt like doing everyday things. But a month or so in, I have
become depressed again. All I do is sleep. I don't feel like doing anything else. I am also getting my mom this info. She is on depression meds, and has leg pains, I think something natural is better than all the junk the Dr's put you on. Hoping this supplement works wonders for both of us. Thanks again!!
asking2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #4712
freetobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikanh80 View Post
Hello!!!!!!! Its great to be back on here and read through the posts.
I have to say regarding the bath salts....its a terrible thing thats being done. I think most kids trying it have no idea how powerful it is or WHAT it is...and they become addicted and before you know it they are wasted away and just a mess. I read about a death from it 3 years ago, and then it wasn't as well known and not regulated or controlled by any laws....and Im happy to see some states ARE banning the sale & distribution of it, but we all know that this doesn't exactly make it "go away", and unfortunately more lives will be lost due to this new "drug", and its a nasty result-what it does to your body, it deteriorates people in months. Very sad indeed.

So OhioMike....I am happy to hear you've had good results with some of the supplements we discussed a while back! That makes me smile!! We all need some help, and there are plenty of benefits found right in our beautiful nature. I have done a LOT of research on a particular amino acid that has been the topic of some recent medical studies done in some of the top schools in the Boston area, and elsewhere in the nation. I admit I was somewhat skeptical, as I am with all "hot", "new" or "miracle" supplements that seem to gain a ton of press suddenly, but after really reading up on it and speaking to people who have long term use of it, I decided to try it for myself and I am amazed. I invite you to search it for yourself so you can read the outstanding number of benefits this 1 supplement provides us. So first of all it is L-TYROSINE. L-Tyrosine is 1 of the 22 naturally occuring amino acid in our bodies. Long story short....many groups of people have very depleted levels of this amino acid, which has been found in research to cause a large variety of bothersome health affects/issues. In diet-its only found in high-protein foods, such as meats, cheeses & some nuts & a few produce items, however even when consumed regularly, levels can be depleted due to certain brain fucntion problems also, such as depression. Anyway....it is marketed as a supplement for support of the nervous system & its functions...because it is synthesized into DOPAMINE! Then its synthesized into epinephrine & norepinephrine. Due to this....it is CRUCIAL for humans to have L-Tyrosine at full levels in order for our brains to cope with stressful situations, like so many of us do!! Like job woes, financial woes, a death in the family, depression, anxiety and all that causes that. The number of studies linking L-Tyrosine to the eradication & management of depression alone are insane! They have found that it actually is more than 10 times more effective than other supplements for depression such as St.John's Wort, and even some medications. One impressive fact is that L-Tyrosine is metabolized and begins working within 1 HOUR of ingesting the supplement!!! Thats practically unheard of. One study said that people taking it for depression should literally feel better within 1 hour of taking it, and if they don't, to increase the dose and take more until they do! Thats how powerful it is! An important thing to note is that it should always be taken on an EMPTY stomach, so first thing in the morning makes the most sense. I'm writing you a book here, I apologize lol.....so Ill just summarize the other many benefits it has been noted to be HIGHLY effective for: Anxiety, Depression, Lack of Energy/Lack of Focus/Lethargy, Trouble Losing Weight, Appetite Control, Stress, Low Libido, and more. And believe it or not...since its a precursor to melanin (skin color), when taken on a regular basis it actually tans your skin and absorbs UV rays more rapidly, so wearing SPF is needed. So all in all....it rather instantly alleviates depression & anxiety, increases your energy levels, endurance & mental focus, allows the body to handle the effects of stressful events, and has helped mild pain, especially in the legs the studies have reported. It creates Dopamine, and we all know why thats good lol. Its usually sold in 500mg tablets/capsules. They say to take 1,500-3,000mg for the first week, daily, and then 500mg-1,000mg daily after that.

Its been so promising in case studies....that medical Doctors are now commonly prescribing it to patients being treated for Depression & for ADD in place of meds like adderall/ritalin, or in addition to. Both of these have reported huge success rates, and patient satisfaction.

So I just wanted to relay this info to you.....it is now part of my daily regimen myself, and I can attest to the almost instant lift in mood in energy levels. When I tapered from 4mg to 2mg of Subutex, I did notice an impact in my energy level, and it was around that time that I was in the middle of researching this supplement.....I admit that once in a while I was taking my husband's Adderall which he is prescribed for his ADD, and it always helped me to "get going" in the morning. Well when I started taking the L-Tyrosine, I felt the EXACT same boost in energy, only without the jittery & sometimes nauseating feeling I got from the Adderall.

I thought you'd be interested in this info since we have discussed so much about supplements in the past...and this one I can confidently say that I believe everybody going through opiate addiction treatment would greatly benefit from using this daily. When we stop using opioid agonists...our brain becomes "confused" and the neurotransmitters are all "out of whack" and it takes a lot of time in recovery for all of our amino acid levels and our neurotransmitter activity to stabilize in a healthy, normal-fucntioning manner.....and until that occurs, we tend to all experience mood changes, sometimes even daily, depression, panic attacks/anxiety, lethargy and no energy at all at times. This supplementation can alleviate so much of that, and its NATURAL!! Basically the L-Tyrosine gives our brain function & activity a big ol' BOOST, and gets the brain to recover quickly, hence us "feeling better". I hope this information is useful to you....of course always check with your doctor if you are on prescribed medications just to be safe, but there are practically no health conditions on their own that prevent the safe use of L-Tyrosine in a daily supplement form.
I hope this can be beneficial to people on here.....I so desperately want to help others, and with my knowledge of supplements, I hope this is the means which I CAN be helpful. Let me know how you are doing OhioMike....I do miss you dearly, and hope you are doing well. And to everyone else also, I hope you are all well....this forum has always been a tool for me, and I can't put a value on just how great its been for me, because its been a life-saver. I am re-commiting myself to posting here & being active again, because I NEED this community to be successful!!!!! Love to you ALL!! xoxoxoxoxo Hope to talk to you all very soon. Check in & say hi when you have time! From 'Rainy New England'......Erika
i am so happy to hear this! i have experienced sooo much of the same thing but was afraid that it was just me...i am seriously going tom try L-tyrosine and hope hopefully i will post after i have tried for a week or so
Thanks
freetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #4713
Sam Bailey

Hey Folks!

Well, this thread is not only pretty old (despite a couple recent posts), it has been without OhioMike for even longer. In fact, OM has been missing from our Forum for a long, long time. Used to be, Mike could be counted on for a few posts a day....and, sometimes, a good portion of high drama. Ha!

Now? Not the same, this good place. And OhioMike? He is missed. By me, for certain.

Last we heard, OMike was quite ill. I hope that his health has improved and, overall, that he's in much better condition.

I fear, though, that maybe his absence suggests otherwise.

If anyone has heard from him, or has any sort of news, please post.

And OMike? IF you read this, please know that I wish you well, WE wish you well.

best regards,

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #4714
theswan

Default omike

I pray he is well. Mike has been on this forum a long time, He was here when I began in 2008

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote