Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
happytobehere

Question Input appreciated on side effects

What I have noticed since taking sub that I never (or rarely) had prior to taking sub:
1) Tingly/completely numb hands, fingers
2) Extreme sleepiness (I am only on 4 mg/day split) only on certain days
3) Constipation (yes, I drink tons of water, take stool softeners, etc., still looking for the best solution and am freaked out by those Fleet suppositories but I bought them and keep looking at them)
4) Swollen ankles/feet (really attractive ... took water pills, seemed to help some)
5) Weight gain (12 lbs in 2 1/2 months) and I have been exercising! Sometimes, I retain so much water. I have cut out salt, all the obvious things. I really think that items 1-4 above are side effects of the sub (or the naloxone. I'm trying to spit out the residue but it's tricky). The weight gain may be a result of just "noshing" more, on healthy foods, but when I was on Norco, I just didn't eat that much. Guess I have to work on emotional eating/filling the pain and/or boredom with something, My Sub doctor thinks all of this will just blow over. I don't think he really knows that much. It's hard to explain, but I think he just took the course so he could make more $$. I wish/hope that isn't true. It's like if I bring up anything that doesn't "fit in the box," he just shrugs it off, like "oh it'll get better." Just take a laxative. For the rest of my life???

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
happytobehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi happytobehere, some thoughts on some of your side effects.

2. Maybe it's time for a reduction. You might think about trying a 2mg / 1mg split to see if that helps. Or is there something to correlate it to on the days when you are extremely sleepy?

3. Have you checked out the constipation thread to see if there's something in there that might help? Miralax seems to help a lot of people and the warm prune juice with a shot of milk of magnesia has helped others too. NurseJoan swears by that one from giving it to patients in the nursing home.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=14755

4 and 5. Have you asked your doctor if you can try Subutex instead? If he won't prescribe it, then spitting out the residue has helped a lot of people. Things that might help with that, once the pill is dissolved, then it's ok to spit it out. You could also try breaking the 2mg in half (doesn't have to be perfectly broken) and see if that helps to dissolve it more quickly and then it might be easier to spit out the leftovers.

With the weight gain, you've hit on a couple of important things - eating more because of a renewed appetite and the emotional eating. I wonder if CBT might help with that? Are you seeing a counselor - if so, that might be something to bring up.
Okie posted a couple of sites that she found helpful too:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22482

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
happytobehere

Thanks, Nancy. As usual, your help is GREATLY appreciated. I am seeing the Sub dr. today and will print this out, as well as any relevant info in the links. Much thanks!!
Unread 05-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Good luck happytobehere, I hope it goes well.

Let us know when you get a chance.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
happytobehere

Nancy, he put me on Subutex ... same dosage. Fortunately, the pharmacy in the same building was able to fill it for me with generic on the spot.
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
happytobehere

Sorry, hit the "send" button too fast. Meant to say thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi happytobehere, are you paying cash for your prescription? If so, there is a generic for Subutex which is so much cheaper - averaging around $2.50 - $3.00 for an 8mg pill.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the -tex will be the answer!

Nancy
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
happytobehere

I have insurance and paid about $20 dollars for 30 generic Subutex pills ... yes, I asked for the generic. I've been taking them since yesterday and the swelling went away!!!

Unfortunately, I slammed the car door on my typing finger (right hand!) this morning after taking my kids to school and taking our family dog back from the vet. It's the first time I really got concerned about "what if I really hurt myself" and have to take something for pain (e.g. broken bone, etc) and printed out the link you sent to someone else on that topic. So far, Motrin and ice has been working well, and I have a pretty purple finger to show for it .... but no swollen ankles :-)

Seriously, Nancy, you are an amazing resource of information ... and I am CERTAIN that you know more than most Sub doctors out there about this stuff. For that, I am very grateful. I even feel better with the Subutex.

Thank you!
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi happytobehere, I'm so glad the swelling went down!!

But ouch on the finger. I hope that feels better soon.

Oh, if you get a resource kit from naabt.org
http://www.naabt.org/resource_kit/
It has an emergency wallet card that might be good to have.
Here's a pdf that shows what it looks like - it folds in half to business card size.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/EmergencyCard.pdf

Thank you, I'm just glad that I can be of help.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-11-2010)
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
happytobehere

Thank you!!! It's amazing how that "stigma" thing creeps in ... I haven't told anyone but my husband, psychiatrist (different than Sub dr.) and therapy group that I am taking Sub, so it's kind of strange to have to deal with this, but the card helps. I kept going over in my mind how would I explain all of this to an ER doctor in case something happened. It really brings the reality of addiction to light as for me, this was a very private addiction. Thank you, once again. A month or so ago, I would have said, I won't be on Sub for long so it won't matter, but now I don't know. I take a fairly low dose and it really has made a huge difference in controlling this. I guess when I am ready. For now, I'm just going to take it one day at a time and be happy!
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
OhioMike

HTBH, active addiction can be very private for a great many of us, so please don't feel alone. In regard to dealing with other doctors, such as a ER, family doctor or a dentist, simply tell them frankly that you take X amount of Suboxone per day, as prescribed by such and such doctor. No more explanation is needed. Why you are taking it or the particulars of your story, is no ones business, unless you choose to share that.

Never feel bad, small or lesser than anyone else. This is a medical issue, one which is biological as well and thinking and feeling, simply by taking the steps you are to heal yourself speaks volumes to your desire to lead a good life and you owe no one anything more than that!

Mike
Thank You (05-14-2010)
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
cferd

I was also switched to subutex not too long ago. I noticed that I too feel much better overall compared to when I was taking the suboxone.
cferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
littleB

I seaved the card from the resource kit for when I started sub. I as well was very private with my addiction so for me filling out that card was a way of admitting I had the problem, in a weird way it was kind of therapeutic! I think everyone should have one of those cards, you never know what could happen and if something bad were to happen I know for my sake I want the medical professionals treating me to be well aware of my script!!
littleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
happytobehere

Thanks, Mike! That helps. I just can't help but think how many are out there that don't even know about sub and how it can be so life transforming. It's sad, really, that we have to be concerned with the stigma ... but your words are quite encouraging.
One User Says Thank You to happytobehere For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2010)
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
happytobehere

Thank you. Even though the subutex tastes "icky" it has made a difference. I'm glad it has for you, cferd, as well.

littleB, I appreciate your input as it does make it "real."
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
spaz

Just an FYI.. you mentioned taking water pills to reduce swelling in your feet/ankles.. taking water pills is going to cause dehydration which will only make your constipation worse.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to spaz For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-05-2010)
Unread 06-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #17
rudytudy

Hi There Happy. What has worked for me with constipation, and I didn't think anything would, is a product that you can find in your local health food store called Cleanse More. It's also talked about on the constipation thread. I was initially put on sebutex and have been on it for about a year now. My doctor started me on 16mls and now I'm down to 6, and on my way off. You can be proud of yourself for doing something to better your life, instead of being lost in the vicious cycle of addiction.
I attend Narcotics Anonymous and I'm very proud of my recovery.
I am having weird side effects from the seb. but my doctor says it can't be. He researched side effects and nothing match, however, I'm sure it's from the seb. I have aches and pains in my joints and my toes have started cramping. My gut tells me its the meds. I also have chronic pain but nothing like this. I have gotten liquid calcium and magnesium and that has helped alot.
Hang in there, this is a great supportive site.
rudytudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
ironman

I've had the swollen ankles for years now - started Sub 09/06. I finally showed my current Sub MD and she agreed to do a 'Tex trial. The very first day the swelling disappeared ! I also feel much better on the Tex than on the Suboxone 'cept I'm finding I need more to achieve the same benefit. I'm taking the generic from a Target pharmacy (after a week trying to have it filled elsewhere with zero luck and a lot of headache). I aslo find that I experience dizziness more although this maybe related to my bp meds. Hard to say. I hope she agrees to continue with the 'tex. I'll find out next week ! She had me do a urine test, should be no problem there. I hope the price for the generic 'tex is less than for the Suboxone 'cause I think I'm going to need the increase until I'm ready to take down the dose a bit.The pharm was going to tell me the price difference but we got distracted and both forgot to get back to that topic...hope to remember to ask again next week. I'm concerned that if the 'tex costs more that my insurance will raise a stink. This MD doesn't take my medical insurance because of the red tape. I doubt she'll want to haggle with them to prove my case so as to continue with the 'tex. A shame (red tape) as I have good coverage but yet have to shell out $100. cash per visit. I do have drug coverage (different issue/provider). I still consider myself lucky though when comparing the alternatives.
Anyone familiar with the Target pricing for generic 'tex as compared to the Suboxone ? I take the 2mg pills.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ironman, I'm not sure about the 2mg generic, only that the 8mg pills were going from $2.50 to $3.50-ish each. Make some phone calls to different pharmacies. When the generic -tex first came out last October, Target was the one place that was consistently higher in price than others - especially Walgreens.

As for you paying cash, get receipts from your doctor visits and see if you can submit those for reimbursement directly to you.

Hope that helps.

Nancy