Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
SarahJane

Question suboxone and side effects

hi all..

well i went to chat with my pharmacist this morning .. when i take my subs my tongue goes tingly and kind of numb.. I also get like a fluttering in my chest around the heart.. the pharmacist said it is a reaction to the meds in sub, but if i had subutex then it would not do the same thing.. i did not think the drug in suboxone caused side effects like that?????
have you heard of this and do you think the change would benefit???

thanks,

sarah jane
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sarah Jane, call the Here To Help line and see what they say. I've not heard of the naloxone in Suboxone doing either of those. Generally the naloxone could cause swelling and hives. Here's a list of side effects in this FAQ:
http://suboxone.com/patients/suboxone/faqs.aspx#60

The Here to Help number is 866-956-9204
They are there until 11 p.m. tonight Eastern Time.

Let us know what they say.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
SarahJane

Hi nancy,

it is too late tonight so i shall try in the morning.. I will let you know what happens..
My pharmacist seems to think it can cause these side effects though.. i feel like my heart is jumping out of my chest about 20 mins after taking the subs.. after about an hour or so it subsides...

sarah jane
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sarah Jane, I'm very curious to see what they think it is, as there are always side effects that happen that aren't as common as others. One that is intriguing is that most people feel some effect of the buprenorphine within a half hour of taking it, and then it can take between 1 and 2 hours to reach full effect of the medication. Which would make me wonder if it's a side effect of the buprenorphine and not the naloxone. If it is the bupe that's doing it, then switching to -tex wouldn't be of any help.

They're open 8am to 8pm eastern time today.

Will wait to hear what they say.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
SarahJane

Hi Nancy,

I spoke with the here to help people.. My doctor sugested that i call them when i started taking the subs and i have to say i did not utilize them the way i should have.. what a great support i think that will be.. Anyway, they said the chest feeling is not common so i should speak with my doctor about that, however the tingly and numb tongue and mouth def are.. so i am going to call the doctor in the morning and get an apt.. lets see if she switches me to subutex instead.. my mouth is actually pretty sore now and the roof of my mouth is actually a little swollen..if it gets any worse it will effect me eating... still the good of the drug out weighs the bad, do doctors switch easily ???

sarah jane
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sarah jane, I'm glad you called and will be getting more out of their program. Please let me know how that goes when you have time, I'm really interested.

Did they say that switching to Subutex might help? Think about cutting the pill into smaller pieces in the meantime to see if that helps dissolve them faster, thus less time in your mouth. Just a thought.

As for doctors switching, it really depends on the doctor. Some have no problem, and others just won't.

Keep us posted, ok?

Nancy
Unread 11-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
SarahJane

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.. been one of those days..
so i went to the doctor this morning.. she looked at my mouth and agreed that it was the suboxone. She thought it was a good idea to get on the subutex too. SSSSOOOO off i went to the pharmacy with my new script for these pills.. happy with the thought that, as i had read it would be cheaper than subs, i would have lesser bills from now on and i would have no pain in my mouth.. Well pain is now gone.. however i am out 720.000.. my ins company will not cover them.. i was at the pharmacy nearly an hour while they tried different ways to get it through.. the pharmacist was not initially even going to fill it because i had subs left.. she did not know they were different and insisted that i had 2 weeks left on them and should finish it first.. i had to stick my tongue out to prove the point.... once i went through everything she understood.. supposedly the insurance company which is empire will only cover 11 every 90 days...!!!! what are they thinking?? how would that help anyone?? I am so ticked.. they cost me more than the subs.. but at least i do not have a sore mouth..
Also when i was at the doctors office she said that on tex i would come under a different set of rules than being on sub.. have to submit to blood and urine tests regularly and she would have to send my paperwork into the state for review.. what a lot of hooplah for a little white pill.. so thats my rant..lol
will be talking to H2H (here to help) for the first time in the morning at 10.00am so i will let you know how that goes and what sort of supports they offer.. has anyone else used them before?? i have not read much on here about them.. god what a long e-mail..

hugz.. sarah jane
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sarah jane, there's a GENERIC Subutex now that costs around $2.50 a pill! Please, call or go back to the pharmacist today and tell her that there is a generic and if she can't get it for you for next time then you'll be switching to a pharmacy that can get it.

I'm not aware of any rules that are different for -tex than for -one. Maybe your doctor wants the test to make sure people who take -tex aren't misusing it. I've also never heard of sending your paperwork to the state for review. I believe that would be in violation of HIPAA regulations.

Please bring those two things up with the Here To Help people this morning when you talk with them. People who have used the program really seem to like it. Here's an older thread about it:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21523

Will wait to hear how it goes!

Nancy
Unread 11-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
SarahJane

Hi Nancy,

I am speaking with the doc in the morning.. she is going to write me a new script for the generics.. the pharmacy found out about it.. yet it seems my ins company does not want to cover it.. so if they do not, will it still only be 2.50 or so a pill out of my pocket without ins coverage??
I will have to wait until next month now to fill it anyway because i had to buy the regular ones at that crazy price.. and it was for the month.. i don't think there is anything i can do about that..
i am so upset that i had to spend all of that money on them....
will let you know what they say in the morning... and also am speaking with "here to help" at some point tomorrow..will let you know about that too.

thanks so much..

sarah jane
Unread 11-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sarah jane, yes, without insurance the cost has been around $2.50 for an 8mg generic subutex, but please call around and find out for sure. I called a bunch of different pharmacies in different places and it Target consistently had a really high price - more than brandname Suboxone costs. And I was explicit in asking about the generic and confirming that they were quoting the generic price.

So be on the safe side and make sure you shop around.

When you talk with the Here to Help people and your doctor today, ask them if there's anything they can do to help get some reimbursement from your insurance company if you submit the receipts yourself. Maybe a letter from your doctor saying it was medically necessary for you to switch to -tex might help? It's worth asking, in my opinion.

Please let us know what happens.

Nancy
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
newlife09

I wanted to ask about the issue of swelling. I am having a terrible time with my ankles swelling. If I take the full dose - 2 1/2 tablets my ankles are really swollen during the day. What I did notice is that when I recently had some dental work done I had to stop the suboxone the day before. The next day my ankles were not swollen. After starting it again the swelling came back. Have you heard of anything like this? I would really appreciate any info.Thanks!
newlife09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi newlife09, You might be hypersensitive to the naloxone in the Suboxone. You can try spitting out what's left over after the pill is dissolved and see if that helps. It's helped others with the same problem. Hopefully that will work until you can get your -tex prescription.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-18-2009)
Unread 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
toms

Be sure to discuss the swelling with your doc. They will have to ability to help.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
newlife09

I have been trying your suggestion the last few days and the swelling in my ankles seems to be getting better. I have also made an appt with my regular doc to see what he thinks. Thank you for your suggestions!
newlife09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #15
SarahJane

Hi Newlife,

I too had swelling.. but my doctor put me on blood pressure pills that had a diuretic in them and that helped.. it seems i am very sensitive to all meds in general.. funny really given my antics..!! but i do get wrotten side effects..if there is a side effect, i develop it..it has eased off and i am dealing with them.. they are nothing compared to not taking them and dealing with the alternative.. my worst seems to be this mouth tingling.. the pharmacist said it is an alergy to the pills.. here to help told me to call them and talk to my doc.. i did and that was that..
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
Jamesisdone

The first post u wrote about tingling and such, reminds me about allergies. What ever happened about that? Did they find out what happened?
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote