Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Mr. T

Default Miralax works very well

I have been taking Miralax for about two weeks and two days and it has changed my BM in every way. I ate half a large pizza Sunday night and had a healthier BM even before I was on opiates of any kind.
I have been getting multiple BMs as well if I combine the Miralax with a healthy diet which I usually do anyway. The only negative thing I can say is it took about ten days to start working well and about five days to see any difference at all.
Highly recommended.
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
KevO

Yay, another pooping thread

I, too, started miralax. I started on Friday, and today was the first day I noticed any difference. I actually had a BM that wasnt "pebbles", which was a good sign! I have only been taking it every other day, however. I think I will continue doing it this way, and am hoping within another week to be more regular.

I am starting to wonder whether being an opiate user for a long period of time has a long-term effect on the digestive system in gereral. The reason I wonder is because during the year I was opiate-free, it seemed that I never had "normal" BMs. During my opiate-free year, I often had very loose stool, and seemed to get the runs quite often. I wonder if the opiates do long term damage to the digestive system, because of the constant constipation and impacted poop? sorry for being graphic, i dont get to talk about my poop very often, and this is the only place I feel comfortable doing so..haha. Arent you all so lucky?

Anybody know of any studies done on the long-term effects of opiate usage on the digestive system?
KevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Mr. T

Kevo, the over activity of the unbalanced mu and kappa system cause irritable bowel syndrome IMO. I used to get loose stools as well and runs too when I was clean for 13 months.
I think you should take the Miralax everyday for a few weeks, then start taking it every other day once it is built up.
Unread 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
flier1

Glad to see that it is working for the both of you, I knew that if you hung in there that it would start working for you. Like I said it has really been a blessing since it came over the counter, but it does work like a charm.

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
werdna

Mr. T i will share with you as I have done many times, the best thing you can do, and I know what you are taking works, but the best thing is to restore the natural balance in your intestinal tract. when we take opiates (or any drug or alcohol) and many other bad foods we destroy the good healthy bacteria that lives in our intestines. Acidiphilius is that bacteria. You will see it now being added to yogurt and cheese and sold and marketed. But you can by them over the counter at any frug store. It has to be kept refrigerated. Take one capsule a day. I started with 2 a day for the first week after meals. Before I knew it I was as regular as unleaded gas!

I find that people search high and low for any type of laxative to help them with this problem and it, to me, is just adding more chemicals to the body. They are unplesant tasting, everything from cod liver oil to glycerol. If we would just balance out our natural chemistry in our bodies we would work just fine. Try acidiphilius, I promise you, you wonr be dissapointed

(no I dont have stock in it, LOL)
werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Sunny1

Is Miralax meant to be (safe) taken everyday? It says to "use no more than 7 days" and call ur Dr. if "you need to take a laxative for longer than 1 week". I have a bottle and I was going to try it, but I don't want to make things worse.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Madison7

Laxatives can be addicting. It can take more and more to make ya go. Imodium is actually an opiate, it doesn't get you high cause' it don't cross the blood brain barrier. Miralax is polyethylene glycol 3350. Its kinda interesting to note that polyethylene glycol is used in constipation, peylation of interferon for hep c treatment, and anti-freeze. Thank god for the 3350.

Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
phone

I too was a miralex fan. BEFORE you could buy it over the counter and I could get a giganto tub for a 15 dollar copayment. Then I bought the "smartcleanse" by renewlife, which worked THAT DAY. (the PM pills, it's a cleanse so you get AM and PM in the box). But youre not supposed to take more than 30 days.
SO THIS TIME I'm going to listen to Andrew and try the acidophilus(?).

Andrew, do you recommend any particular brand? Is it in the vitamin section? What should I look for in the purchase? You have failed to give me bad advice so far, so I'm hoping that in this area you are as right as always!

Love, ember
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Mr. T

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by werdna

Mr. T i will share with you as I have done many times, the best thing you can do, and I know what you are taking works, but the best thing is to restore the natural balance in your intestinal tract. when we take opiates (or any drug or alcohol) and many other bad foods we destroy the good healthy bacteria that lives in our intestines. Acidiphilius is that bacteria. You will see it now being added to yogurt and cheese and sold and marketed. But you can by them over the counter at any frug store. It has to be kept refrigerated. Take one capsule a day. I started with 2 a day for the first week after meals. Before I knew it I was as regular as unleaded gas!

I find that people search high and low for any type of laxative to help them with this problem and it, to me, is just adding more chemicals to the body. They are unplesant tasting, everything from cod liver oil to glycerol. If we would just balance out our natural chemistry in our bodies we would work just fine. Try acidiphilius, I promise you, you wonr be dissapointed

(no I dont have stock in it, LOL)
Is it a fact that opioids destroy the natural bacteria in our bodies?
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
Mr. T

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ember

I too was a miralex fan. BEFORE you could buy it over the counter and I could get a giganto tub for a 15 dollar copayment. Then I bought the "smartcleanse" by renewlife, which worked THAT DAY. (the PM pills, it's a cleanse so you get AM and PM in the box). But youre not supposed to take more than 30 days.
SO THIS TIME I'm going to listen to Andrew and try the acidophilus(?).

Andrew, do you recommend any particular brand? Is it in the vitamin section? What should I look for in the purchase? You have failed to give me bad advice so far, so I'm hoping that in this area you are as right as always!

Love, ember
Ember, should I stop taking the miralax? Why can't I use it for more than thirty days?
Unread 06-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
flier1

Mr T.

My Dr said that I could take Miralax everyday if I wanted to, but I think once your body gets use to it like mine did you dont have to , I take it about every 3 days now. I think Ember was talking about the smart cleanse not the Miralax.

I have tried the Acidpohilus back a long time ago and noticed no changes at all, but everyone is different. I use to go and get my eyes read and was told that I had kidney problems, Oh yes, I had stones like crazy and had some stomach problems, Yes acid reflux, and needed to get rid of bad stuff in my body, so I tried everything the lady told me that I needed which cost around 300 dollars and no changes at all but that is me, it may have worked well on someone else, but you can take Miralax with acidophilus, i called the health food store and asked them cause I thought maybe I would try the acidophilus again and they said yes I could so I may try it again, who knows maybe I was taking way to many opiates at the time for the acidophilus to work, well see...

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
werdna

My whole take on it, like i wrote earlier, is why put something else in your body that can potentially be dangerous. One Dr. says take only 7 days, another say it fine longer. either way its not natural. And beleive me I am no nature freak. But this Acidiphilous is natural and lives in our intestines. Its not just the opiates that destroy it, alcohol, and all types of meds.

Ember it is in the vitamin section. I actually use the CVS brand. But Natures Bounty has it. I think they all have it. If you like yogurt, its in LaYogurt now, is Activia many yogurts label Probiotic. Also in some new chesses. I also have a spinach salad everyday and fruit. I figured if I going to get clean I might as well do it right. Not to brag, but still on 12 mg on Sub a day and 2 BM's a day. (ok sometimes one a day but thats great compared to 9 months ago)

I dont take any laxatives or any of the sort. To top it off, a bottle of like 50 cost 5-8 bucks. But you have to keep it in the fridge.

Unread 06-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
spoint1
Way Cool Member

Mr T
I have never heard that opiates destroy the good bacteria in our guts. Antibiotics do that.
Opiates slow the bowel down....way down, and that's what causes the constipation. The slower the bowel works, the longer the poop stays in it, the more water is absorbed outta the poop, the more constipated you get.
The reason you should only use ANY laxative for a short period of time is 1. as Madison7 says, laxatives are addicting. Take them too long and you won't be able to poop without them. That is a sorry state of affairs!
2. Sometimes, persistent constipation is a sign of cancer or some other bad thing happening in your lower abdomen. Drug manufacturers have to cover their butts by reminding us to see our doc for things like persistent constipation or diarrhea.
Now in the setting of a forum about opiates, most of the constipation WE talk about is due to our drug use, whether it's DOC or Suboxone.
Mr T, I tell my patients who experience constipation to try more natural things first, then add in a laxative if the natural changes dont work.
Cracklin' Oat bran is your friend. Delicious, full of fiber, easy to snack on, and when taken with an adequate water intake, an excellent laxative. Make certain you are drinking at least 8 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Most of us don't get enough water. Did you konw that by the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated? True story!
Eat fresh veggies high in fiber - celery is mostly fiber. Eat fresh fruits - oranges & apples with peels & grapes are great sources of fiber.
Good luck all you constipated people. My trick? I have DIABEETEEZ, and metformin, one of my medicines, causes diarrhea. I have had to stop it in the past. I can finally take it again now that Suboxone has slowed my gut back down - so there's another good use for Suboxone - helps this diabetic take her medicine!!
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
werdna

Spoint - You didnt mention acidiphilius at all, either good or bad. What is your knowledge and/or experience with it. Is it all just hype? marketing ploy? or is there some merit to it?

I can attest that it has worked for me. Along with the fruits and vegetables. I am regular.

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Mr. T

I have had that activia yogurt in my fridge for ages but barely ever touch it.
The only flavor that is good IMO is the strawberry. We buy it at costco so it always is assorted; those bastards.
I am going to chill out with the Miralax. I am going to keep taking it, but three days a week so I don't depend on it for a BM. Hopefully three days a week dosing helps prevent dependency.
Unread 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Mr. T

I have had that activia yogurt in my fridge for ages but barely ever touch it.
The only flavor that is good IMO is the strawberry. We buy it at costco so it always is assorted; those bastards.
I am going to chill out with the Miralax. I am going to keep taking it, but three days a week so I don't depend on it for a BM. Hopefully three days a week dosing helps prevent dependency.
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
Mike

I found docusate sodium about 800mgs/day is an OTC stool softener that worked well for me. I'd also take a laxative about once a week. I would rotate brands/types so I didn't become immune to one.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
Mike

I found docusate sodium about 800mgs/day is an OTC stool softener that worked well for me. I'd also take a laxative about once a week. I would rotate brands/types so I didn't become immune to one.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #19
Stranger

Hey all,

I too use the Miralax and I usually mix it with a heaping dose of metamusil. It takes 3 days (Taking this concoction every day)for this to usually work and it depends alot on what I've been eating. My biggest curse right now is Hagen Das extra rich low fat vanilla which is starting to rival my addiction to opiates... I just can't seem to put the stuff down at night. I even wake up with ice cream hangovers. But I'm working on it and cutting down. But it's amazing how the dairy binds you up....
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Stranger

Hey all,

I too use the Miralax and I usually mix it with a heaping dose of metamusil. It takes 3 days (Taking this concoction every day)for this to usually work and it depends alot on what I've been eating. My biggest curse right now is Hagen Das extra rich low fat vanilla which is starting to rival my addiction to opiates... I just can't seem to put the stuff down at night. I even wake up with ice cream hangovers. But I'm working on it and cutting down. But it's amazing how the dairy binds you up....
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote