Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
sheila

Default scared of withdrawals

i am going to a pain management clinic. i have severe osteoporosis and fibromyalgia along with hypothyroidism. i had an accident four years ago and broke my arm, knee and hip. in the last four years i have had seven surgeries for broken bones, parathyroid adenoma and oral surgeries. i've lost 1/3 of my teeth. i have a moderate to severe hearing loss and wear aides in both ears. i am taking 32mg of dilaudid, 40 mg. of hydrocodone, 1200 mg of neurontin daily. weekly i take some xanax and some restoril for sleeping difficulties. i have at least three more surgeries ahead of me.

what can i do for pain management? i don't want to stay on opiates. i'm pretty sure that i have become addicted, but each time i speak with my physicians about it, they say that all i have to do to get off of the pills is slowly reduce the amount i take and i can be free.
i am concerned about withdrawals. can someone tell me about how long do i stay in withdrawal before i can take suboxone? sheila
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
flowers

Hi Sheila,

It's not the hours that matter when waiting to take sub, it's the severity of withdrawal which you can determine by using the COWS chart. You only have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals, which is NOT that bad. I just did it myself again here this morning. I was teary eyed, sweaty and agitated and my pupils were dilated. I was a 8 or 9 on the COWS scale.
You can take a look at the COWS scale here on this website, just do a search for COWS and you should be able to find it. Or Nancy will come along and post it for you as well as give you all kinds of great info on suboxone treatment.
Are you going to be relatively painfree in the near future? Because sub may not cover the amount of pain you have to deal with. I have to tell you sub is NOT the best pain reliever, esp if you're used to what you have been taking.
Also, there IS a big difference between being addicted to opiates and just being dependent on them due to chronic pain--why do you want to stop? Are you abusing them?
Anyway, don't be afraid of withdrawal--it's not that bad when you know that the sub will soon take your symptoms away. The waiting is the worst part, IMO. Good luck to you, I'm sure others will be along to help you more.
Sandra A.
flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
sheila

sandra,
thank you for your response to me. i honestly don't know if i'm abusing the drugs that have been prescribed. i do think that i am extremely dependent on them. i'm dependent upon them if dependency means that after six hours, my body gets very uncomfortable. i try to wait longer and some days i do wait eight hours or so, but i start to get edgy because i don't feel good. i can't say with assurance that i truly have pain everyday that calls for the amount of drugs i take. however, i take the doses as prescribed, except sometimes i may take a double dose if i am having a really hard time with pain. i'm confused about why i should trade one drug for another. i am concerned that if i tell the doctors that i don't want to take anything anymore that i will not receive pain relief when i'm really needing it. but i am convinced that i would suffer withdrawal if i stopped. i have reduced the amount that i take and do experience agitation along with deep muscle aches and spasms. i don't like depending on the whims of a doctor for something i need. i guess that's why i'm really wanting to stop these drugs. sheila
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
flowers

HI Sheila,

Yes, it sure seems you are physically dependent on your pain pills, but that is just a matter of biology (?I might have the wrong science), not the terminal illness that is addiction, which is the compulsive use of drugs even though they are hurting us, ruining our lives, and ultimately will kill us...

I understand you don't want to be on these drugs, and don't like depending on the whims of the doctors, but you are very fortunate anyway to have doctors that will treat your pain. I know so many who really suffer badly with pain and they can't get relief...

You know, I meant to say last time that you have posted your topic on the STICKY forum, and that may be why you haven't gotten responses. If you would copy your original post and put it on the SUPPORT forum, I know you will get a lot of knowledgable help, there are many on NAABT who know all about what you're going through, certainly more than I do.

Take care, Sandra A.
flowers is offline   Reply With Quote