Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
christy

Default tips for waiting to start induction

Hi, all-
I'm attempting another go at this- already cut things off with my dealer and after this last little bit, I start the wait for COWS. Any suggestions to help me survive this little piece of hell? For example, I was thinking I'd stay up late, and (hopefully) sleep through a lot of hours. Basically anything anybody's done that helped them make the experience that much more endureable, would be much appreciated! Thanks and wish me luck!
christy s
christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
CathSmith

Hi Christy and welcome! I'm so glad you're here, you are definitely in the right place. IMHO, and I'm only six (actually seven now) days into the Suboxone (after a long Oxycontin use); My advice is if you were on time-released Oxys or anything like that to wait as long as possible (I had precipitated withdrawals last Thursday/Friday and it was hell) to start; this may sound strange but nasal spray really helped me get through b/c my nose was so stuffy, I couldn't stand it; my doc also gave me Klonopin, which I took for the first two-three days, helped a lot w/anxiety and sleep. Also (another sort of weird thing) but crushed ice and pepsi or 7-up was a lifesaver b/c I was constantly thirsty. Hot baths and Motrin, if the achies kick in, which they did for me. Just keep in touch on the Board with your symptoms and you'll have a world of support. We are all behind you and I'll be praying for you and watching for your posts to see how you're doing. Best of luck! You'll make it, and it'll get better with each passing hour, that I can promise!
CathSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
lookingup

Some history of what you have been taking, how much and for how long, would be a big help.
lookingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Hope4Help

Hi Christy! I'm in week 3 and doing great. I was also very worried about the induction process as I really feared going into precipitated withdrawals. Nancy and my Doctor advised me to use the COWS Scale and I found it was a great tool. I measured a 15 before I started. I had the chills, upset stomach, anxiety, and my pulse was starting to pick up. I wasn't in full on withdrawal, I was just starting to get uncomfortable (nothing I couldn't handle as I've gone through numerous illnesses while waiting to get my next RX). Once I scored mid-way on the chart, I took the suboxone and within 20-30 minutes, I started feeling better. I ended up taking another 1/2 in 2 hours and then another 1/2 after two more hours. It was 10pm when I took my first dose. I stayed on this board all night because the medicine gave me tons of energy. It felt so good!!!! I didn't sleep at all the first night, but I didn't feel bad. Going into the 2nd night, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to sleep, but I fell asleep around 11pm and slept like a baby. Since then, I've been working on finding the best dose and dosing schedule. Over the weekend I went to 2mgs, but I've found that wasn't ideal for me. I've settled nicely at 4mgs in the am and another 4mgs in the pm. just before dinner.

My mind is clearer than it has been in years. I'm really able to focus on my job and my family. I feel great and I'm excited about my life!!! It is hard to describe just how good my life is going. I'm not spending gobs of money getting my meds. This morning I was able to sit down and pay off some bills with no worries about setting money aside for meds that would "keep me going"! It just keeps getting better!!! I even have money left over to buy some clothes and get my nails done. For me, that is progress!!!

Congratulations on starting your recovery! You are in excellent company with the folks on this board. Everybody here is super supportive!!!! All the best for a smooth induction Hope
Hope4Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
GA Gal

Hi Christy,
You will be out of hell soon. My husnand and I have both been on the suboxone tretment for 10 months now, and life is good. I never thought it would be this good. We both were drinkers and addicts for 30 years. I was on the opiods for every bit of 8 years non stop. Being clean and sober, between the suboxone once a day and going to AA meetings everyday, I am a new person. You hang in there, the best is yet to come and the freedom from the dealers and addictions is so goood.
GA Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
CTCheryl

Hi christy, Welcome to NAABT and to the end of Hell!

I did my induction the exact way you are considering. I took my last 10 Norco's at 5:00pm and took a hot shower and went to bed as usual and at 4:00am in the morning I woke up and I was shivering and sweating. I looked in the bathroom mirror and my pupils were huge. I had already put my Suboxone at my bedside and melted my first 8mg and went back to sleep! At 6:00am I woke up and the same thing was happening so I melted another 8mg, got up showered and actually went to work. I didn't want to sit around all day thinking and worrying so it really helped. I was hungry and slept fine right from the beginning. I had a headache all day but that finally went away. I came here constantly and posted and asked a million questions that were patiently answered and I'm still here since Sept. 28, 2007.
You will be fine, I was mixing oxy's, norco, and booze and xanax and now work a well rounded program and live it.

Welcome to an addiction free lifestyle!
Cheryl
CTCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
dan32

Here is what i did. I took my last perc around noon. After I got home from work around 6 I took a valum and roserum and it knocked me out till 6 the next morning. from there I was set and ready to start my new life on sub......good luck. ...
dan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
christy

Thanks, all. I stopped at 5 and it's only 10:30. I'm coming off of heroin- on and off for ten years. No longer shooting- smoking say a gram and a half a day for about 6 months, this time. I do have some xanex, but have read not to mix the subs w/ them. Oh, I think I have some valium around somewhere-just a little bit. I wonder if a little of a benzo right now would be ok to help me sleep? I obviously won't be taking the sub for hours....
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
jascade

Christy,
I think a valium to help you sleep would be okay. Before my induction I stopped way too early and went into some rough withdrawal. I ended up going to the er and was given a clonidine patch and ativan to help me get through until my induction the next day.
By the way, once I was given the sub I felt fine within minutes and went into work a couple of hours later-
I hope it goes as well for you. Please keep us posted.
Susan
jascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Hope4Help

Good Morning Christy, how are you doing? Have you started yet? I hope you got through the night smoothly! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Hope
Hope4Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
lookingup

Heroin is pretty straight forward. The COWS chart should tell you enough about how you will know it is time enough. Keep in mind that a few extra hours is good insurance. That should be enough to get you through the bad stuff, knowing that feeling good is just a few hours away.
lookingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
mikejacks

I mean its only a few hours.
mikejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
christy

Thanks, everyone. It's 9am in california. I feel crappy, but not really bad enough to start. It's been 16 hours. Basically just yawning and the chills. I can wait. One time I waited 18 hours and it was ok- I'll do the COWS thing in a couple hours. I did take a xanex to help me sleep. I wonder if smoking H makes it take longer to start w/drawls? You guys are seriously helping me get through in a sort of peer pressure- in a good- way. Like I don't want to fail. It would be that much more embarassing. Thanks, again!
christy s
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
christy

Oh, and the sneezing, which, interestingly, isn't even on the COWS chart. I always sneeze when I'm kicking.
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
jascade

Christy,
You are doing great!It sounds like you are pretty close at this point if not already there. Please let us know how it goes.
take care,
Susan
jascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #16
CTCheryl

Christy,

You are real close. Hang in there like Susan said and I bet in another hour or so you can start your Sub.

I sneezed too! The first time I ever had withdrawals I was convinced I just had a cold because I was sneezing so much. But then the other unpleasant gastric symptoms came along and that idea went out.

I'm so glad your resisting the pressure. It isn't easy, but it is worth it and you can do this!

Check in as much as you can and we'll be here for you,
Cheryl
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
OhioMike

YES, it is worth it, stay with it. Your going to do great!

OMike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
hydra

Hi Christy,

I just wanted to say you are so strong. You can do this! You have made the right choice and are just about there. Relief is just around the corner. YOU CAN DO IT! Please let us know how you are doing! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

-Heidi
hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
christy

Thanks! I took it. Feel a lot better. Still a bit sweaty and tired. The doc Rxd me 2 8mg pills a day, but last time I was able to take only 1. I didn't feel perfect, but I was so paranoid of getting hooked on the subs- I tapered really quickly. Of course, I relapsed later. Now, I'm not sure exactly what to do this time- maybe maintenance would be safer? But then ultimately, I'll have to get off of it. My dr. seemed on the fence. In any case, it's been half an hour and I'm ok. My eyes are saucers, but I'm good.
Unread 02-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
CTCheryl

Don't worry about the future right now, concentrate on one hour at a time. This is the most important thing you have to think about right now. Your recovery time frame plan can wait.

This is a new start for you, a 2nd chance. Make the most of it, take your time, you deserve it. The first few days I started my doctor told me to just heal. Pamper myself, take warm baths, walk my dog, relax. It was the best advice. And I came here all the time. Try and go to chat too, you get real time feedback.

If your eyes are saucers, you are ready. Go for it.

Cheryl
Unread 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
NancyB
Administrator

Hi christy, I'm happy to hear that you're feeling better. As Cheryl said, concentrate on the present right now.

In case you want to do some reading, here's a couple of things:
From our FAQ, Am I just switching one addiction for another?
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#33

And Tim's post: Why are short-term treatments less effective for opioid addiction?
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2669

Congratulations on starting!
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #22
christy

I took another 1/2 - so that's 12mg subutex alltogether. Tomorrow I'll shoot for 8- or maybe not. I think I'll wait and see how I feel cravings-wise. I am soooo grateful to you all for the help while waiting. I mean it. I feel sober. Now what am I gonna do with myself? I've gone from being a television writer to working as a bartender. I've read there are doctors here and God knows whoelse. They should put that on the anti-drug ads!
xxx ooo
christy s
Unread 02-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #23
NancyB
Administrator

Hi christy, the important thing the first week or two is stabilize. Try to stay on the same dose so you'll have a good idea after, say maybe, the first week, you'll know where you're at dose-wise. Also think about keeping a journal of your doses and how you feel. That might help in determining your dose also.
Congratulations, I'm glad you're doing well.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote