Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
dan32

Default When To Start ?

Hello Every one ,

I have been reading post on this site for a few weeks now. It is a wonderful place for people to learn about this process.I am comtiplating on when to start Bup. I want to start this week but Im scared with the Holiday season here. I don't want to be sick through the Holidays because of all the Family interaction I will have the next few weeks. I am currenty taking around 200 MG of OC daily. Do you think it would be easier for me to start after Christmas? Is the transition process hard. Thanks so much everyone for all of your communication, it is SOOO helpful.
dan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Pearl

Hi there dan32 and Welcome to 'our' crazy, dysfunctional, helpful and great little 'community'!! I'm still fairly new (I chatter a lot). I too was taking Oxycontin, and for my transition they put me on a shorter acting opiate for about 24 hrs. and then started the Sub., 2mg. at a time and went from there. It wasn't bad. Do what is right for you...but, in my humble opinion, the sooner you begin the Buprenorphine, the better! You will be amazed at how well you feel off the full agonists and what a great Holiday you can share with your family. Let us know what you decided to do, ok?

Elizabeth;}
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
werdna

Dan, If you started today, you will feel 100% mnormal tomorrow and your holiday experince will be fine if not wonderful. I speak for myself, but there is an adjustment period for the first 2 weeks on sub, but with that adjustment period you are in an honeymoon period. There wasnt any bad days after I was induced that would have ruined any family events. If anything my family and work colleagues noticed a gradual but noticable differnce in me. If you have a family of children, I would do this now. You wont regret it. within 48 hours of your first pill, your whole attitide on life and your golas and aspriations will be clear and attainable. why wait when you can begin the process now and get the best you can out fo the holidays. I have ruined many holidays for my family while on drugs.

Of course its your decision, and you are here for a reason. Do it!!! Good luck and I am here anytime you want to talk.

andrew
werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
dan32

Hi pearl

Thanks.. You said your doc put you on a short acting opiate 24 hours before your switch. How long after your last dose did you start Bup? I'm just wondering because I am my doctors first patient and she wants me to wait 36 hours. Doesn't that seem to long?
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
werdna

Dan I know you asked pearl, But my experience, you have to be in moderatre withdrawals, and everyone is different. My last pill I took was 15 hours before my first bupe, that includes sleeping. It depends when you have your appt. 36 hours is long and I didnt have any short opiate. If your are not comfortable with this doctor dont go there. Myself I would be over witdrwals in 36 hours.
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi dan32 and welcome. If you get a chance, please give our precipitated withdrawal sheet a read through.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf
It explains why you need to be in mild to moderate withdrawals before starting bupe.
The times given are just estimates, as you know best how your withdrawals go.

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
dan32

I am going to start WED. We'll see how it goes??!!
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
werdna

Good luck dan, you will do fine. Stay in touch here till then, (and after fo course) We are here to help you go and get through this. Don't be nervous it really isnt bad - think of it going through a dark tunnel but isntead of wondering when or if there is a light, you know there is a light at the end of the tunnerl!this is the best decision you have made in a long time.

Andrew
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
down2zero

dan32, I don't know if it matters how much you are taking at the time you start treatment. I do know I felt better in a matter of a few days. A good part of that could have been just knowing I was not tied down to taking Lortabs. I'm sure you will be fine, so have a great holiday. d2z
down2zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Pearl

Hi there dan32, great news!! Good Luck to you...as Andrew said, you will be fine! I don't want to give you the wrong information..I had a supervised transition. They loaded me up with Morphine Sulfate immediate release tabs...I BELIEVE, and don't take this to the bank..but again, I believe I began less than 12 hours after my last Morphine tab. The doctor keep close, checking my pupils, etc., but I didn't experience major discomfort. I wanted to respond..but, others here are probably better able to describe their experience. (I was on the medication for pain, and pain was a problem and major concern, so that is why I went that way...long, boring story, yuk!) The main thing, especially since you are your doctor's first patient is to be as informed as possible, and MOST of what I know about Suboxone/Subutex, I learned here. That would be my only suggestion. Read up and be educated and that will help both you and your doctor. As Andrew said, again, stay close, try not to worry...if you get anxious about your appointment, go for a walk if you can, etc... Take care of yourself and let us know how you do, ok???

Elizabeth;}
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
jascade

Hi Dan and welcome!
I am glad that you decided to start now. You should be feeling great for the holidays. If you are currently taking something that is short acting it usually isn't necessary to go 36 hours, some have also been told 24 hours and even that is a long time. Often just 12 hours is enough, but everyone is different. If you read the link Nancy gave you and go by that you should do fine.
You will probably have many questions in the days to come so I hope you hang around. Everyone here has been where you are at and can help you through this. Best of luck!

Susan
jascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
dan32

The reason I am in this quandry is back pain. I had two epidural steriod shots in October and they really helped with the pain. I still have some pain but I went from about a 7 to a 3 on the pain scale. I think I will always have pain due to my injuries but I cannot live a life like this anymore. I feel like I have let everyone in my life down. I pray that I can learn to deal with my pain naturally. My life has been in constant downward spiral since I started taking Pain pills. I have so much to live for because of my little boy. If it wasn't for him I don't think I could have handled everything thats happened to me since the pain started. I've got a long road in front of me but I am looking forward to the challenge and change. well enough of my whining I just wanted to let you know some of my story. Thanks for being supportive
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Sandy23

the transition is simple most people feel better after 15 mins of the pill or pills being under their tounge, u need no time to transition. u need lots of time to work on urself tho but thats anouther thing, worrying about getting and staying clean first
Sandy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Indy

Hi,I made the switch last Tuesday.I'm not to the point I thought I would be,where I have read I would be.I did not feel normal the next day.On my 4th day I had a lot of breakthrough pain and wd's-it was not a good day.I do believe that very slowly it's woking and compared to wd's it is better,but I have not had that huge awakening that everyone writes about.I've seen a small part of it-so I'm trucking forward.Right now I'm dosing an average of 20 mg.
This is where I'm at and I believe I'm one of the few that is just going to take more time.
Also I wanted to share my 36 hrs w/you.The first 22 was o.k. the usual tears,runny nose,sweats,and just crappy-ness.The last 14 hrs were the worse as my legs would not be still-it was awful.Forget sleep-that will not happen.I took a look at the cows scale yesterday and I was at 24.That was coming off from the same dose you are on.
I'm not writing this to scare you only to inform you of how mine went.
I won't forget it that's for sure and that's a good thing.
Go for it even if you have problems adjusting they probably will be settled by Christmas.Even if they were not you would still feel better then now and that will make it a great Christmas because your dealing with your biggest issue.It's the best present you could give to you and yours.
Remember when your tossing and turning in bed in wd's keep the thought of your little boy-he loves you-you love him.
I wish you well and do want to hear how it goes for you.

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Indy and welcome, have you spoken with your doctor about still having withdrawal symptoms?

A couple of things that might help with absorption are to not smoke or consume caffeine for a half-hour to an hour prior. Also, try rinsing your mouth out with as warm water as you can stand.

I hope you start to feel better soon.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
Indy

I spoke with doc Friday-my worse day and ended up taking 24 mg on that day.I did not know about the smoking/caffeine.I prep myself right before w/cig and coffee in the a.m.
I have wondered about the absorption part all the time.Sometimes it seems like I swallow a lot-and read that doesn't seem to be a problem.Now after reading this I need to do it differently.
When should I rinse?
What does it do?
My doc has been great he is on call this weekend.Most days last week I spoke to him 2x sometimes 3x a day.I wanted to try to give him a break,although he really does not seem to mind-actually I know he doesn't.When I call because of wd.'s and need more-it just doesn't settle well with me-asking for more.
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Indy

Oh and Nancy-thank you.