Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
adahliasherie

Default WHY are you sposed' to be in W/D's before u start?

Can someone explain to me why youre supposed to be in minimal withdrawals before you start the suboxone?
adahliasherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Brett

Because if you have opiates in your system the sub will remove the full opiates and send you into precipitated withdraw. If this happens all you can do is keep taking sub till the withdraw stops. Several here have had this happen and its not fun.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Bassdad

So you don't go into 'Precipitated Withdrawals'....

Bassdad
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
adahliasherie

precipitated? i'm not sure i understand what that means but thank you for the reply... i was just curious b/c I've been reading thru peoples posts and kept seeing where people would say their DR said they had to be in w/d's before they could come in.. so I was just curious. well and to be honest i did take a few when i found my old prescrip. bottle b/c my of my hand but i didnt know you were supposed to wait before you take the subs again. thanks guys
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Brett

Imagine your receptors satisfied with hydro, and then suddenly all the hydro is removed all at once, that is precipitated withdraw. Withdraw usually comes on slowly as the dose wears off. gradually getting worse as time goes on. Taking sub with hydro (For example) in your system will cause all the hydro to be removed all at once, this will cause horrible withdraw symptoms. Hope this helps

Brett
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
adahliasherie

you made it crystal clear. thank you very much for helping me to understand.
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
adahliasherie

another question, if someone were to take a drug test , does suboxone show up the same as vicodin? I told my (now ex)boyfriend that he could DT me to see that I was not still taking the vicodin, but my mom said her therapist told her that suboxone and vicodin show up the same, that vevn if she did want to DT to make sure, if i were still on the subs, they wouldn't be able to tell. then I read somewhere that suboxone doesn't even show UP in a DT. im so friggin confused.
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Brett

It takes a separate expensive test for suboxone, it will NOT show up in a normal drug screen.
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
gotoffmdone

I was taking 400mgs a day of the powerful opiate methadone and I was not in wds when I started sub. Only 8mgs of Sub threw all of that methadone off my opiate receptors. The preciptated withdrawals mean you just did not run out of your drug and it slowly left your receptor sites. Precip wds means that you were thrown into wds. It is like when people OD on too much heroin and they are barely breathing and the medical personnel gives them a shot of narcan to reverse the effects of the heroin. The person immediately becomes awake because the heroin was ripped from thier brain and replaced withthe narcan. They wake up and realize that, although their life was saved, their high( if dying is a high) has been ruined and they are mad as hell instead of grateful.

There are detoxes in some states where you can have all the opiates on your brain displaced at once by using a drug like narcan and because the wds are so painful they put you under ansethesia for thousands of dollars.

Buprinorphine(sub) does the same thing. It kicks off whatever opiate is occupying your receptors and attaches itself to those receptors but being a partial opiate it is not strong enough to fully take the place of the other opiate that was there and withdrawals are the result. The wds are precipitated or, brought on by Sub. That is what happened to me to me except I was awake the whole time. For the first 24 hours I did not want to die but did not care if a bus ran over me. It took 5 days to get out of bed. I lost 16 pounds the first week. It took 2 weeks to start feeling well enough to be among the living. There is one bright spot to the way I did the methadone wds using Sub and that is it did speed up the wd process coming off of methadone. Cold turkeying methadone has a harsh wd that takes weeks or months to get over. I was not in wd when I took my Sub because I wanted to see the Sub Dr as soon as I could and if I had tried a taper, assuming it was succesful, it would have taken a year or longer to go from 400mgs a day to the recommended 30 mgs prior to starting Sub. I have been through 13 cold turkey detoxes coming off of hydrocodone and oxycodone and even ran out of methadone one time for 36 hours and it was awful. If I take all 13 cold turkey detoxes from the hydros and oxys and the 36 hour wds I had when I ran out of methadone and combine them into one giant wd, I would not come close to describing what it was like during the precipitated wds.

If you are in wds to start with before taking Sub, means you have already depleted your receptor sites of the drug you take. Therefore the Sub will attach itself to those empty receptors and instead of putting you in wds will get you out of wds.

Wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
paul1270

Bassdad and Wayne, thank you dudes for all of the information that you bring to fourum, you answer a lot of questions that I have pondered but never asked. Paul
paul1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
adahliasherie

than you wayne. you worded it perfectly. i understood from what everyone else explained but after reading what you just said- crystal clear
Unread 03-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
flier1

adah
I jsut had a drug screen for my new job and it came out clean, I have been on Sub for 4 months and I know I would have not gotten this job if anything showed up

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote