Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Gypsymagic1

Default Concerned: valid or not?

Hi. I'm new here. I don't know whether my spouse has a problem with alcohol & I worry. He works full-time at a high stress very detail oriented job & he never drinks before or during work. He is gentle & loving with me. He has only once in the 2 years we have been together shown what I would consider signs of being drunk. He did not pass out but his behavior changed. His father was an alcoholic, & my husband has an extremely high tolerance for it. One night he might have only a beer or two. On others he might drink several plus wine with dinner & a glass of whiskey at bedtime. On weekends he grabs a few beers to get in the car to drive somewhere & thinks nothing of consuming alcoholic beverages with every meal & in between. He never seems impaired. He is not mean nor does it seem to change his actions. At his physical last year the doctor said he was doing great--but he didn't tell the truth about how much alcohol he consumes. I honestly don't know if there is a problem. I grew up with non-drinkers & I may have wine or a cocktail or two when we go out. I do not drink much or daily nor ever to the point of feeling "high"--2 over the course of a night out is about all I drink, then I switch to soft drinks. My husband doesn't see his alcohol use as a problem, & I know that at times in his past he has drunk to the ppoint of being really impaired but that doesn't happen now. There was a time many years ago when he apparently used cocaine but he quit fairly easily with a few meetings with NA. That was 30 years ago & he never has touched it again. I don't know if he is physically dependent on alcohol but if he shows no signs of withdrawal & only has one beer some nights, is he? He apologized profusely the one time about a year & a half ago when I told him I would not be riding home with him if I knew how to drive a straight shift. Now I know who to call but he said it would not happen again & it has not. He has never gotten a DUI but he does drive after drinking. I repeat, he is a good provider & a good husband. Am I concerned for no reason? Are some people able to metabolize that much alcohol & live a normal life? Thank you.
Gypsymagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
R. Lee

Gypsy, Welcome to the site. I am a recovering alcoholic. Have you expressed your concern to your husband? What is his response?

He drinks while driving a car. He lies to his doctor about how much he drinks. He has gone to NA meeting over the use of Coke. Ask him to quit drinking for a month. See of he can. A normal drinker can have it or leave it alone. To me if he does not have a drinking problem yet, he might have one in the future. If he keeps drinking & driving he might have a drunk driving in the future. There are a lot of yet's for him.

I hope I helped you a little. He is the only one who can do anything about his drinking. Good luck.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-31-2015)