Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #51
Kia25

31Mom
I have so much extra money now too! It's nice to go buy new Nikes to work out in! AndI'm looking to buy a Kindle Touch ! I never would have gotten those things prior to quitting, nor would I want to buy, it would have taken money away from pill $
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #52
harley1

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31MOMof2 View Post
Harley i know what u mean about money.. Feels good to have a lil money in my pocket for a change.. Ya i only dose 2 times a day.. But im only on my 4th week.. I wana dose once a day sooner or later but im not gona worry about it for awhile.. How long hav u been on subs?
i've been seeing a dr. and taking sub-films for about 3 mths. i break my daily dose up into 3 doses because im prescribed 2 strips a day. so i take 1 at 5am when i get up and a half in the afternoon and the other half after supper or before bed. i do it that way because if i take a whole strip at nite i have strange dreams. this way i sleep better and i have less of the weird dreams. i guess its different for each person. i just know that i am enjoying life these days and i am alot more active with my kids. i am the assistant coach for both of my girls softball teams and i enjoy helping the kids and playing ball with them. good luck to everyone. one day at a time
harley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #53
31MOMof2

I know what you mean harley, Im very happy with the way my future looks now. Kia hopefully I will be buying myself some new nikes soon! lol I will be on subs for a month on monday... Im close to being caught up on bills. cant wait to put money in savings..

Nancy for some reason I dont have smiley faces on my computer.. I do on my phone but I dont see them here?? It says their on but I dont see them.. did I hide them or sumthing?
31MOMof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #54
sorella79

Hey guys I'm new to this site n I have ADHD on top of my addiction so I probably skipped through alot of the posts lol but I can relate to the money thing, I have bought practically a whole new wardrobe with all the xtra money I have now, my suboxone is covered by Medicaid so I dont spend hundreds of dollars on pills anymore it's so exciting lol and as for sleep I have problems sleeping before the suboxone do my doctor gave me trazadone to sleep it works pretty good
sorella79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #55
31MOMof2

How long have you been on subs?
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #56
sorella79

About 5 months now
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
31MOMof2

Im on subs one month now.. Im feeling pretty good.. Other than being kinda lazy.. But im taking vitamins and tryn 2 work out a few times a week, that seems to help. I didnt sleep well the 1st week, but im good now.
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #58
sorella79

Really? The subs give me energy lol I actually feel great, I'm scared to get off of them though, but I'll worry bout that later
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #59
31MOMof2

I wish they gave me energy.. I was on 16mg but it was way 2 high for me i think.. I was nodding off a lot.. Im on 8mg now and i feel pretty good
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #60
Want2beclean

Hi momof2 thanks for your post. Thats great your on 8mg now. I dropped to 14mg two weeks ago and dropped to 12mg today. After two months I feel really good. I to miss my energy that I use to get from pills. The sub dosent give me much energy either. I drink alot of Starbucks now. Like four a day just to make it threw work and to clean house, car, & kids, etc. lol. I don't have any cravings like I was, u? I hope Kia is doing ok she hasn't been on in awhile. Do u have a time set for yourself to be off sub? My here to help covers my sub for a year so I want to be off before then.
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #61
gotoffmdone

Subs have never given me energy. Sounds like it effects some of you the way the regular opiates affected me.

One observation that I have made over the years from talking to people has been, if a person takes a hydrocodone or oxycodone for the first time and they end up sleeping for two days straight, chances are they are not prone to become addicted to opiates(anyone can become "dependent").

But, if a person takes that first hydrocodone or oxycodone and it makes them want to go out and run a marathon or clean house or mow the lawn, i.e., gives them energy, then they seem a bit more likely to enjoy that feeling and are more prone to become addicted.

That is a long way from a scientific study, just an observation that seems to hold true from talking to lots of people who did or did not end up struggling with opiates. To a person, the ones I have talked too that became addicted had the same experience as me. That first pain pill gave them energy, as opposed to knocking them out for a day or two and making them feel like crap upon waking.

To be honest, when I hear stories of how Sub has given people energy or a bit of a buzz or helps with their pain I get a bit envious. Sub makes me feel no different than taking my blood pressure medication. On the weekends when I umpire given the choice of not having any Sub or running out of Gatorade I would take not having any Sub by far. The Gatorade hydrates me. The Sub does nothing to ease my moderate to severe(more on the severe side) back pain.

To those that get that opiate feeling when you take Sub aka energetic feeling, more power to you.

wayne

Last edited by gotoffmdone; 05-28-2012 at 06:29 PM..
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #62
erikanh80

31MOMof2.......Welcome! Just read your first few posts. My gosh we have a lot in common.

I am 31 also (if thats your age! lol), and I'm a mother, I have 1 child, a son.
What struck me though...is you said not many people know of your addiction, even your signifigant other.
Well my husband also was kept carefully "in the dark" about my addiction to percocet as well. And to this day, a very small number of people in my family & life know about my addiction & recovery, not even my own mother knows, nor do I intend to reveal it to her.
So my husband---He had absolutely no idea until the day after I began taking Suboxone. (He was a recreational opiate user at the time but is now also on suboxone treatment actually.)
Anyway-I had no choice but to tell him because I had to pay with our bank account card, and I knew he'd see the very large amount of $$ and ask what it was for. So I came clean to him about it all and I was bawling my eyes out because I lied to him for so long and it was SUCH a relief to get it all out in the open, but I was scared he would never trust me ever again. Long story short, he has supported me ever since and is always there for me. BUT...most of all I wanted to tell you that THIS SITE was the biggest source of support I had in the beginning of my Sub treatment. So I hope you come here often....even if not to post, just to read through other people's posts & advice. Its such a great group of people....this site is like NO OTHER on the internet for addiction survivors, it really is the BEST. Anyway...hope to chat with you sometime, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!! I am now at the end of my treatment and am tapering off this month, starting next week. I have been on Sub for 20-21 months now (since October 2010). Congrats on taking the 1st step to the biggest staircase of your life!! You should be proud of yourself xoxo

Last edited by erikanh80; 05-29-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: addition to my reply
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #63
31MOMof2

W2beclean (lyndsay rite?) havnt been on in a cpl days but i just read ur post about taking your full 12mg in the morn.. I myself cant do that yet, just yesterday about 5pm i started havn hot flashes and thought how weird, checked the AC, then realized i 4got 2 take my 2nd dose that i usualy take between 2-3pm.. So i took it and felt better.. I think when im ready to taper more, i will take it out of my pm dose until i have no second dose at all. As far as a time line.. I would like 2 be off in 12-18 months but i would be ok being on for 2 years if i need 2.. Ive been taking pain pills for almost 10 yrs, so im realistic it might take me awhile. I am wondering about kia to.. I hope shes ok.. Well keep in touch! And keep up the good work!
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #64
31MOMof2

Wayne, ya kno i feel like i did get a "buzz" off sub at 1st, maybe the 1st week or so, but i dont now. I guess thats the way i should be, and i guess im glad. Ive been takn viatmins and drinkn caffine and just tryn 2 get up and move on my own. Im sure as time goes on my body will get used to drug free me.. Lol. I just used pain pills for soooo long i think it will take me awhile to adjust.
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #65
31MOMof2

Erika80 hello! Yes im also 31yrs young! Lol. Glad we have a lot in common. Its good to have someone 2 relate 2. Ya know if i was married to my BF i prob would have already told him.. I know he wouldnt leave me or even pester me about it, but for now ive decided to keep it to myself, my mom does know and supports me so i have her for that. My BF doesnt kno much about addiction so i think he would just be like ok, as long as u got it under control. He does know i take med everyday, but i told him it was a "mood stabalizer" lol. If i were to tell him i would have to educate him about it also.. Like i said, if we get married thats another story. But anyway in glad you posted on my thread.. I would love to keep in touch.. Thanks!
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #66
gotoffmdone

I may have gotten that energetic type of feeling had I gone from hydrocodone to Suboxone but Sub wasn't available then. So I went the Methadone route. Seemed like a good idea at the time mainly because I knew I was not going to have a daily bout with wds.

After ten years on Methadone, the last several at daily doses of 400mgs or more, that is when I heard of Sub being used to get people off of Methadone. Unlike with the short acting Percocets or Lorcets(oxycodone and hydrocodone respectively) I learned one thing the hard way. You cannot take your last dose of Methadone the night before and induct with Sub the following afternoon and expect smooth sailing.

Forget about getting a buzz or a burst of energy. Just surviving the precipiated wds(by far the worst wds of my opiate using life) is an amazing feat. Talk about sick. It was horrible. Had I taken hydros the evening before and went to the Sub Dr the next afternoon I would have been ready to induct. I would have left the Drs office and sung the praises of Sub all the way home. A lot like I did with Methadone that first day I took it.

But Sub and me were not at all properly introduced and and, by that, I mean we were introduced before it was time. That, I believe, explains why I have NEVER been able to tell Sub was of the opioid family. Most people take it to alleviate the problem of wds. I took it and induced wds.

If I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing(except not go the Methadone route). There is no way I was willing(or able) to taper off of a 400mgs of Methadone per day habit and then induct with Sub via the recommended protocol. I would have had to get my dose down to 30mgs or less then stop all together for about two days.

Tapering to me is just one long drawn out period of wds. And if I have the medication, tapering myself is out of the question with a full agonist opioid. I will take what it takes to make me feel normal, or a notch above, for that day. I reason that if tapering was such an easy proposition for me, there is a great chance I would not be addicted in the first place. It takes willpower to taper and I found that to be useless when battling addiction.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #67
31MOMof2

I do worry about the day i try to come off sub.. But i keep it in the back of of my head, and im not gona rush it.. If i need to stay on for a long time, then so be it. I know im in a much better place with subs.
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #68
erikanh80

31momof2: Glad to read your reply

Beginning treatment is such a huge undertaking in itself. Its a challenging process that effects us physically as well as emotionally & mentally, we go through so many changes and we grieve for the time we lost to our addiction and we have feelings of guilt, and can have times of depression.......its a lot. So I think you are dealing with enough right now, and if and when you decide you feel like discussing it with your boyfriend, then you will. Only you will know if the time is right and you want to get into all of that. Right now just focus on YOU! Focus on getting better, feeling better and your children, and whenever the time is right to bring it up with your boyfriend, then you can, but I completely understand you being anxious about having to explain it all, and worry about him understanding or becoming worried and just all of it, I truly do. Like I said-I kept everythin from my husband until the day after I started sub, and even then, it was SO SO SO hard to get the words out of my mouth. Its a traumatic event to have to address your addiction with another person, so I agree with your decision...and its your choice.

On another note, I'm SO HAPPY to read your above comment regarding tapering. You've got the right mind-set....focus on TODAY, don't even worry about when you get off or taper. I began at 24mg a DAY when I started 21 months ago.....I would have NEVER thought I'd be on Sub for this long, never in a million years would I have thought that I'd STILL be on it.....but you know what? I am glad I am, because I NEEDED to. Ive had cravings, I'm human. I have had rough times where I have caved and relpased for a day or two....and I knew I was not in a place in my life to stop the sub and risk all the time and money I put into recovery, by stopping the sub for no good reason other than just wanting to get off. The risk was too great. I am now only on 2mg a day. Big difference. And I can truthfully say that from 24mg to 4mg, I honestly felt NO discomfort, no difference, no pain, no suffering....reading other peopels experiences can be frightening, but I tapered slowly per my doctors suggestions and it worked for me. So do not worry....just focus on re-building your life, and getting in a better place, and when the time comes, you'll know it, and you should always discuss how you feel with your doctor anyway, and Im sure your doctor will guide you through the process of tapering. Theres no need to rush anything....I'm so proud of you to read what you said that so be it if you need to take it a long time. Everyone is different. Our lives are different, our stress is different, and its just not the same for everybody. Anyway...I've written you a book here lol lol. Just want to check back in with you....I hope I can be of some help to you or just a support. I have been successful due to many people's support on here & now I want to do the same for others. Hope you're having a great weekend xoxo Erika
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #69
Want2beclean

Hi momof2. Thanks for your post, it is so true what you said about missing that greeeeattt feeling that we get from pills. I do miss it, guessing that its goes away after time that maybe we will slowly forget it or just not care about it anymore. I think about Kia to I sure hope shes doing ok, just living life again. Like ive said before I have 11months left to detox off sub. Im sure I can do it. Im down to 12mg from 16mg and plan on dropping to 10mg in a few weeks. Been ok so far. How are you doing with your dose?
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #70
31MOMof2

Hi Erika, thanks so much. Im almost at the 2 month mark and feeling pretty good, and Lyndsay about my dose (im gona do a recap) my dr started me out on 16 mg. I think it was 2 high of a dose. I didnt sleep much for the 1st 2 weeks, and was always very tired, i dropped to 12 then 8 very fast just trying to feel normal. I was on 8 mg for about 5 weeks. Then monday dropped to 6mg. I feel good at 6mg. I did not plan to taper this fast but im just trying to find the right dose. I plan on staying at 6 for a few months. I kinda plan on staying on sub for about a yr. If not for the sub i will def relapse at this stage in the game.. I still wana try a lil 1 on 1 therapy and read a few books before i even try to get off subs for good. I took pills for almost 10 yrs. I think its gona take me awhile to fix my brain, And its true, everyone is diff. Some ppl take 32 mg of sub everyday and feel totaly normal. I also have a few changes going on in life the next few months so i just wana stay at one dose and kinda not worry about it for the summer.. I also just wana say thanks for eveyones support. It means a lot. Ok im off 2 bed. Work in the morn! booo lol
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #71
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, that's great that you feel good at 6mg. That's a good idea about looking into therapy and doing reading before tapering off. The more tools, the better!

Congrats on just about 2 months also! Thanks for the update, glad to hear you're doing well.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #72
31MOMof2

Thanks, it honestly feels longer than 2 months.. I feel like it was so long ago. I am a new person now. Thanks for all your help so far.. Your awesome at what you do! Have a good day all!!
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #73
31MOMof2

Just a lil update, im at 4mgs now, i havnt had any trouble with dropping my dose at all, and dropping to 4mg was an accident, i dosed 4mg (instead of 6mg) 2 days in a row without realizing i did it. I had forgot my afternoon dose until it was to late in the eve, by then i didnt wana take afraid it might keep me up. So i just stayed at 4mg, been their for bout 2weeks now. Only the past few days i realy think about vicodin. Im just wanting that get up and go feeling. My housework and laundry pile up, i have no desire to even hang out with friends. Im depressed. I miss the pills and i hate them at the same time. This is hard. Nancy do u think i should up my sub dose? I just wana be happy
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #74
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, is something else going on that you've been thinking about vicodin and feeling depressed? Have you had any WD symptoms at all since reducing down to 4? The thing that you don't want to do it take more Suboxone to get energy because then you're taking more to try to get an effect - which can be reminiscent of active addiction. But if you felt physically better at 6mg and didn't have cravings, it could be that you may have reduced too quickly.

How are you taking the 4mg - all in the morning or 2mg in the morning and 2mg in afternoon, the split dose like you were doing before? Have you had depression before and maybe it's surfacing with this reduction?

If you can't stop thinking about the vicodin, you don't want to risk relapse or keep torturing yourself - then go back up - you might even try 5mg instead of 6mg. Or you could also see if you split the 4mg like you were splitting the 6mg works?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to give you some other angles to look at.

Let us know if that helps and how you're doing.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #75
31MOMof2

I still split my dose, im not having any WD, their isnt anything going on, im getn ready to start my new job in a week or 2. But im gona be making more $ and im looking forward to it. I prop have underlying depression, i guess i need an appt with a dr. But i dont want any more meds that might make me sleepy
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, really think about going to the doctor - explain that you don't want any meds that will make you tired, they have so many different meds for depression now.

In the meantime, if you keep thinking about vicodin, then think about going back up in your dose and see if that helps. The other thing is that people can get tired and depressed feeling when they need to reduce - I'm not sure if that's true with you because you just did, but that's another option to try. Especially where this just started a couple of days ago and you've been at 4mg for a couple of weeks, which would have been enough time to stabilize.

I wish I could be more concise, but wanted to throw those options out there for you to think about.

Nancy