Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
joshua

Default Back on Suboxone

I was prescribed suboxone a year ago, played football my whole life college, arena.. so total i had about 3-4 surgery and of course that will end in dependent of opiates... i was on suboxone until I had a Meniscal transplant put in my knee from a cadavor (a dead person's tissue) So i had to get the suboxone out of my system then have the surgery and its 3-6 month recovery for the surgery and This makes 6 months. I was on pain management and he was giving me hydro codone and i thats like an advil to me. So now that i am healed up i Got back on suboxone and you don't even think of doing opiates... And i find it somewhat helps with the pain, but I am liking it as it helps me not feel like crap... So i just wanted to introduce myself.. Please comment I would like to hear ya'll stories.....

-Josh
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Kia25

Default Hydrocodone=Advil

Hello Josh
Welcome to the Forum ! I LOVE this: Hydrocodone is like Advil to you ! Oh, man, I get that.
It's nice to hear that you have successfully gone back on Suboxone after all that you've been through.
I had a spinal fusion in 2009 therefore, before and after the surgery I was on all different Opiates from Norcos to Opanas.
I agree that Suboxone helps with the pain. That was one of my main concerns, if I was still going to be in pain. Oddly enough, most of my pain was from the opiates. Go figure.
But I'm 98 days clean today and feeling great.
Glad to have you here with us !
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
joshua

Thumbs up y\\\awesome....

Thanks for the kind work and keep doing a good job i would like to hear what everyone brought them to taking suboxone
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
deanna

Hi Joshua, Ive been a member here for over 3 yrs, and what got me here was 8 yrs of opioid use. I was prescribed vicoden from a dentist, and it all escalated over time from there. At the end, I was buying 80mg OxyContin off the street. I had just had enough of the drug seeking, going to the dealers house every day, spending all my money, all the usual stuff. And of cousres the GUILT.
I also have had surgery (neck fusion) although it was last year, and I did it without narcotics. I just didnt want to chance taking them again, so I used suboxone and toradol. I agree with Kia, most of my pain was fabricated in my head, it wasnt near as bad as I thought once I got off all those opioids. And now, I take 2mg a day of suboxone, and it manages my pain fine. I am trying to taper lower to see how it feels, but my doctor has said to me that its fine to be on it long term (which I already am.....lo) if it helps the pain. I would someday like to be medication free, but I have to say, this is one thing you cannot rush. I have read allot of stories of people just tryin gto hurry and stop taking suboxone, only to relapse on their drug of choice. It takes a long time for our brains to heal. And a long time to learn to live without masking feelings, pain, stress, all that.
So, anyways, welcome! And keep coming back
Unread 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
AbbyNormal

Default I Too

Hi Joshua,

I've been on Suboxone since May '10 and it changed my life for the better. Unfortunately I got a little case of cancer diagnosed last Sept and have now just completed my therapy. Three surgeries and 30 radiation treatments are not for the weak of heart.

Two of my surgeries were very painful and lucky for me I was only on 1mg of Suboxone by the time I was ready to go under the knife. It took about a week until the Lortab 10's could be felt. Feeling the effect and the pain killing may be two different things. My doctor said I could take both Sub and pain killers together and see how it worked.

After two weeks of being good with no overdoing my dosing, I lost control and ended up taking way too many again. So back on my Suboxone I went and felt much better on it than the Lortabs. When I was in the hospital where they dole out my meds I was fine, but left to my own devices I failed.

So as of now I am taking 4mgs mostly for pain. I intend to get back to my 1mg dose soon and consider leaving it behind but I have lots more work to do on my recovery now so it may take longer than I'd prefer.

The trick to receiving pain relief while on Suboxone is to get to a very low dose and switch over. More power to you if you can maintain the proper dosage. Going from 1mg of Suboxone over to 10mgs of Hydrocodone was a breeze. Some mild symptoms but nothing uncomfortable. It can be done.

TomD

P.S. Nancy, I guess this is my latest update.

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Tom, you've been through so much - how are you now - is the cancer in remission? I hope so.

That's really great that you realized you lost control of the medication and went back to Suboxone. And that you felt better afterwards.

Thank you for the update. I hope there's no more surgery or radiation needed.

Nancy

Joshua - welcome! Hope to hear more from you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
gotoffmdone

I started taking hydrocodone and oxycodone and after the thrird rotator cuff surgery in 1986 their use got way out of hand. I went first to a rehab after nine months on the naroctics and you canot be away and out of commission for 30 days without being outed. I had just started a new job and was headed for a good career in chemistry and statistics but in hindsight should have sought detox prior to changing jobs. My going to rehab cost me my career thanks to the rehab's way of handling my situation with my new co.

In 1996 I ended up going on Methadone. Ten years later was on a dose of 400mgs and was getting it from my family Dr. It worked wonders for pain as I never knew I even needed back surgery until I made the switch from methadone to Sub which was the worst experience of my opiate using life. Take the 100's of times I had gone into wds from running out of opiates, roll them all into one and multiply that by about 1,000 and that is the type of wds I felt transitioning from Methadone to Suboxone. But I was in no wds to begin with and went into precip wds. And when Methadone is involved time is the only thing that gets the wds to stop. Taking more Sub is like taking your Advil at that point.

It has been six years since I stopped taking methadone and started Sub. I learned thru an MRI just how bad my back was, even though I never felt the first bit of pain while taking the Methadone. Without insurance surgery is not an option and unlike with a lot of people my back pain is just not something Sub overcomes even a little bit. Just this past Oct my family Dr wanted to try me on Morphine and OxyIRs. I stopped the Sub and for a month give those opiates a shot for the first time since 1996. I learned real quickly that my tolerance had not gone down one iota even while taking Sub. So I had my family Dr stop the opiates after a month and got back on Sub.

I was amazed at just how after one month my cravings for the oxycodone had returned with a vengeance. It took a couple weeks to get that under control. Now i no longer think of them. I am to the point to where I have never been more serious about stopping Sub. I take generic Subutex because that is all I can afford. The generics they have been giving me are like taking Advil as well. They are no good and I cannot tell I am taking a thing. But I cannot take the Suboxone tablets of strips, just too expensive.

One thing everyone who now has Sub as their first line of defense in terms of treatment for pain pill addiction needs to do is count their lucky stars. Had it been available to me back in 1986 when I went off to rehab for 30 days, on my own without any intervention, and before one soul outside of myself even knew I had been taking pain pills for a day much less nine months, there is a great chance that my previous addiction to 6 5mg hydros a day would have never been divulged. I went to rehab and recall signing all those confidential agreements. If you had really good private insurance back then believe me there was nothing confidential about treatment nor was it anonymous. And the rehabs used my insurance against me and cost me my new job.

I went to rehab 48 hours into wds. Had I know they were peaking at that point I would have never entered their door. It was rehab per se. It was that particular rehab. But I was ignorant and went to only rehab I heard of. Had Sub been available to me and i could have taken yet another pill of that kind that I could have gotten from the privacy of a Dr, no one would have been the wiser and the people I wanted least to know about my lack of control when it came to hydros would have never been the wiser. Until and unless it had been MY choice to tell them what had once been going on. I would have even had the salary back then to cover the office visit and the insurance to cover the medication for $1.00 per script. Timing is everything.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
joshua

Thank You all for your responses, Even though it is an expensive medicince it is just nice to like without needing pain medicine and God Willing I will never have to have a surgery again, I found me a respectable doctor and i feel very comfortable in this transformation and after two weeks back on suboxone life is just great. I wish they would come out with a generic suboxone like they did with subutex, and also working on the road its a pain having to open them film packs, but it helps tremendously. And if anyone ever needs someone to talk to thats been there done that i am always here. And thank you all for the warm welcome!

-Josh A
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Kia25

Josh,
I'd have to agree with how life feels like now that I'm living addiction free.
When I think about the cost of Suboxone, all I have to do is remember how much I spent when I was using, and then I think it's all worth it !!!
I never want to go back to that way of living !!
Hope to see you in chat tonight !!!
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
joshua

Smile Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia25 View Post
Josh,
I'd have to agree with how life feels like now that I'm living addiction free.
When I think about the cost of Suboxone, all I have to do is remember how much I spent when I was using, and then I think it's all worth it !!!
I never want to go back to that way of living !!
Hope to see you in chat tonight !!!
It is so Much worth the money.. The doctor visit itself is almost 2 days worth of a pay check, but like you said. You feel brand new and not only do you not have cravings for opiates, I am also not craving nicotine and all. This is definately a miracle drug. We are blessed individuals to chose to live the right life and I just hope they come out with a generic for people who want help but cannot afford it. But that is just how the pharmaceutical companies are, I will try to get on chat tonight I have been having problems getting on chat being my new job I m always traveling and My I phone won't let me use it. But I will definately stay in touch and we can have a Little cyber family.. We are survivors!!! God bless friends.
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Kia25

Default Cyber Family

We certainly are blessed, when I think back the end of last year, I honestly thought I 'd end up in some 30 day inhouse rehab, which of course would have pretty much F'd up my job, and life in general.
So to find Suboxone, even at the price we pay, it's worth it.
My doctor always says, no one has to know your on it. I go to work. I am a %110 better employee today then I had been, and on the inside, I'm recovering.
But on the outside, I am an improved me. No one knows a thing !!!
We definately are cyber family. and I am growing to love and respect so many of them. Hope you make it to chat sometime, when you can. Would be cool to talk in real time.
Have a great day Josh, I know I will
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Joshua, good to hear you're doing well.

Have you seen this thread on ways to save money? Included in it is the manufacturer's free med program and their savings card links:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26463

Also, for chat, please check this link for instructions on how to get into chat from an iPhone or iPad or Android phone:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...38&postcount=2

Maybe that will work and we'll 'see' you tonight.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
joshua

Default yea

Yeah it is hard to believe I had a month supply and thankfully i had just met my insurance deductable because it would have been right under $700.00 for a month supply, I ended up getting my month supply for $240.00.. But honestly it is not even about the money, as I have a great job and couldn't be happier to be independent and happy Ya'll have a blessed day!!

-Joshua
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Kia25

I guess I'm lucky with between what my doctor charges ($100 a visit) and my meds are $25 for 60 pills. So, $160 a month for my freedom and happiness, and to get my life back, yea , its worth it.
Compared to what I use to spend, I would have spent $160 for one dose back during my active addiction.
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
joshua

Wow that is awesome I wish I had your insurance! But yes you are right you cannot put a price on freedom and happyness
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Kia25

My doctor doesnt accept insurance. that's just his price. but the Subs are under my insurance, is that a good co-pay ?
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
joshua

Heck yeah that is the cheapest I ever heard of go to drugstore.com and check the prices
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Kia25

Wow. I didnt know !
My Insurance is Cigna. Which I wasnt to happy with it. My co-pays were all over the map, but since I met my deductable for this year it's been a steady $25 for 60 pills. Which is great also because I dont take anywhere near 60 and I'm building up quite a stockpile to save in case of emergancy ! And it's happened, if you read my thread you'll see the story
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
joshua

Yeah I just met my 3500.00 deductable and it would be 670.00 I paid 240.00
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
joshua

Are anyone having trouble with the Suboxone Film? My job requires me to be on the road usually all week, and its a lot harder to get that pack open and take that than it is to just take the pill... But I guess they just dont want to prescribe the pills anymore.. but those strips are a pain lol
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Kia25

Hey Joshua,
Hope your doing well today.
I'm not sure why you say they dont want to prescribe the pill anymore, because I get the 8mg pills. In fact last week when I went to CVS to renew my script they had me wait 3 days for a delivery because they didnt have enough inhouse. Luckily I have my stockpile so I could hold off getting more.
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
joshua

Hm, IDK i live in the South and I got a new doctor now, but both do the strips, im getting used to them again, i mean its the same thing anyway, I brought the bag back to the pharmacy and told them to put my strips in a big bottle with my prescription label on it, because im on the road a lot for work and i rather a bottle than a zip lock bag with my label on it cause they tear, so I got my strips in a bottle... so that somewhat helps
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
joshua

I will ask my doctor about switching to the tablets, since they are pretty much the same price, and do the exact thing but are just more convenient.
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi joshua, Tim posted this earlier to someone asking about keeping opened pieces of the strips in a bottle and I thought it might be helpful for you until you get the pills prescribed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM View Post
storing the extra half in a childproof pill bottle is a good idea. No you don't have to worry about it drying out, but should be concerned with humidity making it sticky. If you keep a small silica gel packet in the pill bottle that should help keep the humidity from hurting it.
Tim
Nancy
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
joshua

No like I got a bottle the packs fill in like a big poll bottle with all My strip packs in it
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
joshua

Smile

Pill' not poll lol
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
joshua

And btw its been about 4 weeks back on and life couldn't be better got a great Job I never been this happy moving into My new place today god is blessing us for making the right choices :-))
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
Kia25

Joshua,
Congrats on 4 weeks and moving into your new place !!!
And yes, God is good for sure !