Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
caco07

Default BF's Sub PX stolen- I am concerned that DR will not give him a chance to explain

Hi,
My BF and I have been together for over two years and I have journeyed with him through his addiction.

About a year ago he began a suboxone program and we have seen it really help his life. He has had two minor relapses where he was out of his prescription and used for a few days and then was able to get back on to the sub program. His last relapse was in December.

We are currently living in different states and this past weekend his prescription was stolen. I truly believe that he would not lie about selling his prescription. He has a good job and we are not in need of money. He cannot go one day without one strip and he is so concerned about his job performance and losing me that I do not think he would endanger that. He has filed a police report regarding the theft and the Dr., did grant him an emergency prescription until he can speak to the Dr in order to avoid a relapse.

However, because we relocated in November and began seeing his new Dr. in Febraury I am concerned that his Dr will not believe him and will kick him off of the suboxone program.

Which if that is the case, his emotional state and not having his support system (me or close friends or family in his new State) I truly believe he would harm himself.

I am not experienced enough to know how Dr's treat patients and being so far away I cannot vouch for his story. I can only tell the Dr that he would have so much to lose and nothing to gain by selling his prescription and hope that she believes him and I.

From your experience would a Dr kick a patient out of the program under these circumstances?
caco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi caco07, welcome. It's really hard to know what a doctor would do in that situation. It's a good thing that he did file a police report, he should bring that with him.

Do you know if he signed a treatment contract with his doctor - doctors do not have to have one, but some do and it outlines what's expected during treatment.

What you might want to do or have him do in the meantime is see what other doctors are available in the area. This link gives ways to find a doctor, including the matching system:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

As an aside, I kind of see a red flag with his behavior. Suboxone has a long half life - around 37 hours, so he should be able to skip a day without going directly into withdrawals. Is he in any type of counseling? He almost seems to have transferred the addictive behaviors from his former drug of choice to Suboxone. Addiction is uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. He seems to have compulsive behavior with the fears he has about job performance and losing you and harming himself - especially after a year in treatment. Just something to think about. This is a good thread regarding Suboxone treatment in general called "Phases of treatment - Medication is only a small part"
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809

I'm sorry there's no definitive answer as to what his doctor will do. When is his next appointment?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-22-2013)
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
caco07

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for your response. His previous Dr. in CA did not require any other forms of treatment to be in the suboxone program- which I always thought was odd.

His new Dr aids the medical treatment of his addiction with one on one counseling and other homiopathic help. Unfortunately, I do not know if he had to sign an agreement. He will be seeing his Dr this evening. I just don't know if they have had enough of a relationship for his Dr to continue treatment after such an occurance and I really believe that this new Dr has a treatment plan for him that is all inclusive and with time could help his addictive personality. I just hope that his new Dr gives him a chance.

Thank you for the link, its a good idea to have a back up plan.
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
caco07

Default Just a Follow Up

My BF went to his Dr today and because they have established trust in a short amount of time and his record is relatively good for an addict that has been on the program for a year, also because he had the supporting documents showing the filed police report, his Dr. has worked with him to continue the program and showed a lot of compassion and understanding in the approach. Having the right Dr makes the biggest difference.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi caco07, that's great news! Hopefully he's learn a valuable lesson to lock up his meds to prevent it from happening again.

It's also good to hear that this doctor is also providing counseling. It's such an important component to help with changing the behaviors.

Thanks for letting us know!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
theswan

My prescription gets folded the same way after each doctor visit. Before I fold it, I check to see the name date and "Max daily dose" is filled out and the doctor has signed it.It gets put into the wallet and I place that in a front pocket to protect it. I then go direct to the pharmacy and wait for it to be filled unless, like tomorrow, it will be a little early (got the last one April 29th but due to the doctor being out Monday, he re-scheduled me for tomorrow)
Is this addictive behavior? Nah, and the reason is just common sense. We know how it feels to suddenly be without. it has nothing to do with panic it has a lot to do with being smart. So, again as Nancy said, be very careful with prescriptions.

Glad he has earned the trust of the doctor that is very good.

Glen

Last edited by theswan; 05-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: addition sentance
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-24-2013)