scootergalp

Default Lifering's C0-Founder on Medical Model of Addiction

Hmmmm......Interesting......thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXwJ...&feature=share
scootergalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Scott, is the whole 53-minute video his thoughts on the medical model, or is there a specific section in it that cuts right to it?

Thanks!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
gotoffmdone

This seemed to be focused more on alcoholism but his point about med school curriculuums was well taken.

IMO, Drs that are conservative or liberal with their prescribing of controlled drugs are often that way based on who they worked under post med school, during their internship/residency. They tend to follow the thinking and prescribing habits and philosophy of their "instructor".

In terms of opiates, I found the stingiest Drs, as a group, to be Drs that were retired from the military. The problem with being addicted to opiates is the finite number of teeth dentist can work on. But I have gone to dentists knowing that he knew my tooth should not be hurting, yet he pulled it anyway. I wanted the pills and he wanted his fee. I have done some pretty insane things for one solitary purpose. To stop wds for that day. The motto or ciche of living one day at a time certainly applies to someone in active addiction. Occassionally I could live a few days at a time based on the number of pills on the script.

The guy in this video said something that struck me. He said that the vast majority of alcoholics stop on their own and that a word from a physician or dentist was as effective as a fullblown family/friend intervention. Well I am of the opinion that people addicted to opiates rarely stop on their own. If they live long enough they may outgrow their desire to take opiates but at that point they have few and fewer productive years left and little to show for their life.

The comment of the vast majority of alcoholics stopping on their own may very well be true, much like as with the case of longtime smokers. But I would like to see this guy on the same stage debating with the anti-sub, abstinence based, 12 Step Program crusader Dr Drew. He made a comment recently that the ONLY thing he has seen work for recovery is total abstinence along with 12 Step meetings.

Maybe it is because I have outlived my cravings and desires for opiates that I think back to my attempts at staying away from drugs by going to detox followed by rehab for a month and then meetings. That made me want to use.

I happen to believe there are about as many models to recover from addiction as there are people addicted. That is why the cookie cutter approach of the mid 1980's and early 1990's of sending everyone to rehab and put everyone in the very same groups day in and day out without structuring a person's treatment plan to them specifically failed miserably. Now most insurances will allow for an inpatient detox for a few days followed by outpatient or counseling. The vast majority of the cost incurred from a 28 day stay at a rehab was directly related to overnight stay. The patient is asleep during that time for Christ's sake. It was costing insurance companys many thousands more for some guy on the third shift to watch patients sleeep and to make sure they were awake for the day shift.

I did find it interesting and agreeable when the guy in the video that most Drs are adverse to treating or even having the addicted patient. Personally I think we are seeing that very thing play out in the unreasonable horror stories we read almost on a daily basis about Sub Drs dropping patients like flies. People I am sure will disagree with me but, IMO, rare is the Dr who has gotten or will get into the business of prescribing Sub to opiate addicts for any reason beside the cash money they stand to make. I have no doubt some Drs write scripts for Sub while holding their nose to do so. Their decision to treat us was not based on any medical model but strictly a economics one.

That is often times why, as patients, the number one fear we have is that the Sub rug will be pulled out from under us through no fault of our own. When the Dr has had enough, mainly because when he or she took the Sub course, they lacked their own self-awareness of the true disdain they had for our demographic. We all too often are not seen as patients with a disease but a problem based on lack of self control. And why, because of what this guy in the video started with. Which was asking the question of other physicians as to how many of them took a course in their respective medical schools that dealt with the topic of addiction. As I recall, one Dr raised their hand. I did not see the audience but only one raised hand was way too few.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote