Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
benn11

Default Pain and nausea management

About two years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, along with lower back pain, and now possibly Peripheral Neuropathy, and had been taking neurontin, but stopped because it wasnt helping at all. My doctor now gave me lyrica and cymbalta. I am also on 12mg of Suboxone a day, and have been on sub for almost two years now, along with zoloft. Recently I have been in more pain than I have ever been in with shooting pain all through my body; mostly my hands, shoulders, and strangely my eyes when I move them. I have also been dealing with constant nausea, and have vomited every morning for 5 or 6 days. I started the lyrica, but am waiting on the cymbalta and I think its helping, but feel like my nausea is getting worse. I know this is an addiction/Suboxone forum, but I am desperate to find any information or input from anyone. Except for the morning, I have been taking it in 2mg doses at a time until I hit 12mg. Is that a helpful thing to do for pain? I apologize if this post is very scattered, I feel very foggy and am in a lot of pain. Any input at all would be helpful and very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
benn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
benn11

Well if anyone was at all interested, part (im hoping most) of the problem, was when I saw my dr last he diagnosed me with a stomach ulcer. I was given lots of anti-acid meds and a nausea med and am doing a little better. Anyways I dont know why I continue to type this. At least I can get it out there written down for my own wellbeing. Well if anyone wants to talk ill just keep posting whenever i get around to a computer. My problem now is the constipation. I have been having a lot of pain in the lower right side of my abdomen, a sharp shooting pain. I have been taking everything I know to help with constipation but i dont know where to go from here. I am also trying to eat the right foods, keep hydrated, and get some form of exercise if I feel up to it, at work or wherever. Again, feel free to write anything, but if not its cool. Thanks.
benn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi benn11, I'm glad you got a diagnosis and are doing better. Have you seen this thread on constipation? There's a ton of different things people have tried:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=14755

Also, has this been since you started the new medications for the nausea and ulcer? If so, check and see if constipation is a side effect. This is a good site, you put the name of the medication in and it gives a ton of information on it.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

I hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I just read in Danielle's thread that you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn11 View Post
...I have script for cymbalta but havent tried it yet.
Why not give it a try? Cymbalta may also help your pain:
http://www.cymbalta.com/Pages/index.aspx

Also on that site is a Fibromyalgia Doctor Discussion Guide:
http://www.cymbalta.com/Pages/fibrom...sionguide.aspx

I'm going to put the suicide hotline information that I put in Danielle's thread here, since you've also had thoughts of it.

National suicide helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
* The service is free and confidential
* The hotline is staffed by trained counselors
* We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
* We have information about support services that can help you

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

But really think about giving the Cymbalta a try.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
OhioMike

Cymbalta is known for helping with chronic pain in a fair number of people. I still take it for that very reason. It does however take a few weeks for it to kick in really good. I began taking it early on in my recovery for random, but, very harsh anxiety attacks and though I have lowered my daily dose of it, I have chose to stay on it because it seems to help with my overall chronic pain management program.

In regard to the Suboxone and pain, I can share what I found with myself. First at the higher dose range, above 16mg in a days time, I actually believe it added to rebound pain in me. However, in the lower dose range in a 24 hour period, 8mg and below, it began to help me with my pain issues. You are taking your dose correctly for pain, 2mg at a time, but, your overall daily dose might be a road block, at least it was for me.

Today I will dose with Suboxone at 1-2mg as needed for pain. Since my overall pain program is working well, I no longer need to use suboxone each day and even go many days without needing it.

I also have one other opinion and I’ll share it, but, please take it with a grain of salt, I feel in some people the higher end dose of Suboxone can add to the anxiety and maybe even the depression. As Nancy mentioned, if your body is ready to go down in dose, one of the signs is that you will feel ragged out and unmotivated.

We have to always try to remember, unlike what we are use to, with Suboxone, the less we take, the better it works. Less is more so to speak.

Please don’t take the thoughts of suicide lightly, pain and depression can be game breakers and need to be taken very seriously. Please seek professional help.

Mike