Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
keepingpositive

I am just trying to get help for my son, he was on the suboxone program, and was put in jail, which he is not allowed to have suboxone, unfortunately, there is drugs going around in jail, but he is paying a lot of money for them. I am trying to get doctors in jail to realize he needs the suboxone. It has been a long journey, but I am not giving up,. Any suggestions.
keepingpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi keepingpositive, welcome. Have you spoken with anyone other than the doctors in the jail to see what can be done? Any judges, your son's parole officer, etc.

How about contacting your congressmen and senators to see if there's anything they can do. Do you know any other families who are dealing with the same situation that you can band together and combine efforts?

Do you know if that's jail your son is in or the prison system in the state that he's incarcerated in?

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
AbbyNormal

I am surprised this topic hasn't come up before. When someone is incarcerated, they receive the same prescription drugs they were on before going in. Why they wouldn't give them Suboxone is a very serious problem. It was prescribed by a physician who in good intent is treating addiction and the treatment should continue while in jail.

Nancy's post is bunch of good questions. We need to get everyone involved to resolve this mess. Just because they have an opinion on the drug being prescribed, it should not overrule his doctor. And can I assume it is the same for Methadone? My guess is yes.

Please get proactive and see who will support you and your son in this. This gets my blood boiling. He is trying to recover and the system is working against it. So much for the war on drugs.

Sorry you have to deal with this mess,

TomD

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
keepingpositive

Nancy and TomD,

I did call the jail this morning, they told me that they gave it to him for the first 3 months, but if you are in jail for longer than that, they can't keep giving it to him. He said he cannot discuss his medical issues with me. His probation office couldn't give a rat's ass about him. I get so frustrated, but I won't give up on him. I am going to call the doctor the prescribed it to him and try that lead. As far as judges go, they don't care about any of that stuff. My son has a chemical imbalance, and started self medicating 10 years ago. It seem like we get a step ahead, then go 10 steps backwards. I am speaking to another family that is dealing with a son that has a chemical imbalance, and is in trouble, and in jail off and on, but she has kind of accepted it, but I can't accept the way he is being treated. Thanks for you concern!
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
stp747

In Ca. people can get Methadone at jail. I have patient's who are in jail and are getting thier daily dose. We coordinate their care by having them sign a consent / release of information during intake. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
lespaulpower

Hellow KeepingPositive, I'm new here as well. I know all too well the perils of being refused Suboxone in jail. How long is he in for? I was taken off at 16mg/day, refused detox meds, and kept off for the duration of my incarceration, which was 2.5 months. The logic of the medical staff there seemed to be; "suboxone is intended to 'wean one off of opioids' or to keep one away from illicit opioids, therefore it is not needed in jail, because there are no illicit opioids in jail."

The first 3 weeks were the worst of it, but I was still sleepless and fatigued by the time of my release... Felt good to get back on.

LPP

Last edited by lespaulpower; 04-24-2012 at 03:08 PM..
lespaulpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
keepingpositive

LPP

My son has been in and out of jail for the last 3 years, this time has been the longest for him, over 6 months now, and his court date is not until may21. I have called the Prisoner's Rights people, am waiting for their call back. I spoke to his doctor yesterday, and he feels my son may have to be on suboxone for quite a while, so he said he was will to talk to the nurses in the jail about this. I don't know if it will do any good, but I sure hope so.
keepingpostive
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
amber.4.14.11

WOW.................
This is just terrible. I really hope you get some help, and your son gets his Rx, while in jail.
Here, in timbucktoo, there are "pain management" patients that get upwards of 200mg of oxy a day, while in county lockup, becuase they have it 'perscribed by a doctor'
Thats just CRAZY about the suboxone.
The therapist I was seeing, kinda had the same attitude, like 3 months or less.

ANYWAY, sending POSITVE thoughts/vibes/luck EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!
keep fighting, He's so lucky to have you on his side.
He might not be able to thankyou now, but Im sure he will be eternally grateful.
Good Luck
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to amber.4.14.11 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-25-2012)
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Kia25

That's really messed up. I also can say that I knew someone that was in jail and receiving there pain meds, Opanas and Roxys, and it was for several months. I don't know if the laws are different outside my state (NY), but it certainly shouldnt be.
Why can't it be the same for a Suboxone patient. This really makes me mad. Its so unfair.
Thank You (04-25-2012), Thank You (04-25-2012)
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
keepingpositive

I am at my wits end my son keeps calling me from jail wanting me to put money on an other inmates account so he can buy the suboxone for himself, I am so torn with this issue, what do I do, he needs it, but I fell this is illegal. I could just sit here and cry, It makes me to sad for him, mom needing some assurance, trying to keep positive, but it is really getting hard to do! He is burning all his savings!
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
nan

keepingpositive, This is a terrible situation. First of all, even though I know there can be a problem with contraband in jails, what you are describing sounds like what goes on in the streets. Is this a county jail or a state/federal prison?

Of course you are torn about this, he is your son. Are you able to visit him in person and just not accept his phone calls? If you put money on another inmate's account for the purchase of illegal drugs, you would be involving yourself in illegal activities, imo.

You are doing the right things by contacting the prisoner rights group and his doctor. Your son is playing you in order to get drugs. Let the medical professionals take care of his medical needs. Your son has the right to request medical assistance while he is in jail. Most jails have a medical section and inmates are given instructions as to how they can access it.

I know you are so sad for him. It is a very sad situation. But you do need to stay positive and not give in to him now. Remind him of his rights regarding medical treatment while he is in jail. He can request a dr visit for himself. If his personal dr has/will contact the jail facility then your son needs to work through them. Instead of calling you, your son needs to be sending a written request in to see the jail dr/nurse.

You said he received his medication for the first 3 months-that was probably a program set up to taper him off? May 21 will be the court hearing so that will be a good thing too-not too far off.

Again, even though I know it will be hard for you, you must not give in to his request for accessing illegal drugs while he is incarcerated. Imo you will be making a bad situation a lot worse-not to mention the possibility of charges being brought against you.

If you can do a personal visit then you can tell your son why you will not be taking his calls. If you cannot visit then you need to send him a letter explaining. Work for him outside by talking with the prisoner rights groups and his personal physician. Please, do not fall into the trap of enabling his continued drug seeking behavior.

Our kids sure know how to pull our heart strings, we just have to be strong and aware of what they are doing and why. It is tough work being a mom.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to nan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-29-2012), Thank You (04-29-2012), Thank You (04-30-2012)
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
keepingpositive

Nan, I have spoken to him on the phone this morning, he was wanting me to put money on another inmates account, I refused and said I would never do this again, he tried calling again and I did not answer the phone. It just eats me up inside, I have been dealing with this for over 10 years, last spring I was seeing a doctor, I was thinking of taking my life because I just can't deal with this anymore, but I cannot let my son go, he doesn't have many positive people in his life. I have not heard from the prisoner's rights, I have called twice. I will call his doctor in MA again this week, and ask if he could call the jail. He is in a state facility. As for as the doctor's in jail, he has sent a request for the soboxone, only to get refused. I am tryiing everything I can, but it seems like I am getting nowhere, keepingpositive
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
nan

keepingpositive, Good for you on the phone calls. I understand how difficult this all is for you.

Your son needs to request a medical appointment for assessing his medical/mental needs. If the facility will not allow suboxone then of course he will be denied a visit if he is solely requesting that medication. Instead he should be requesting a medical visit for his mental/anxiety, etc. I am sure a state facility cannot deny a request to be seen for mental/medical issues in general. Of course they will not administer a medication to an inmate just because he asks for it. But he should be allowed to be evaluated by a mental health professional and his med requirements determined by the dr. He will have to request these services in writing-most facilities have a certain form/procedure that must be followed-but inmates have access to handbooks that explain all their rights and explains all the procedures. He is just going to have to follow the rules of the facility-it will take a little effort on his part but access will be available to him-especially if his personal physician can contact the facility and pass along medical information to them for his treatment.

You say last spring you were seeing a dr, I would strongly recommend that your focus today should be on getting yourself some help and support now. Make an appointment with your dr so you can take care of yourself. It is too much for you to deal with alone. Your son has made decisions for himself that has put him in harm's way-for the last 10 years. It is time for you to take care of yourself. That is not to say you have to let your son go, it just means that you need to figure out a way, with the help of a dr/therapist, to get the stress under control. You cannot control what your son chooses to do, but you can control how you deal with it with the help of a dr/therapist. You have been through a lot for the last 10 years-

Some states have an ombudsman who can help citizens access help and information. Check with your state and see if they have such an office. They would be able to assist you with prisoner rights/support groups, etc. Follow up with the dr's office tomorrow-perhaps explain to the dr that you are not necessarily requesting suboxone for your son while he is incarcerated,(since that seems to not be available to him) but rather asking for other medications that could assist him while he is in jail.

I still suggest sending your son a letter explaining why you are doing what you are now. You want him to get better and you do not want to do anything to hurt him. He won't agree with you, but at least he will know where you are coming from and you can feel comfortable that you let him know you support him and love him but you will not participate in anything that will harm him.

Do you have any family support in this? Is he an only child? I am so sorry for your pain but you are doing the right thing by looking for help for your son as well as finding ways to take care of yourself. I am glad you came on here to talk with us about this. Burdens shared make the load lighter.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to nan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-29-2012), Thank You (04-29-2012), Thank You (04-30-2012)
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
keepingpositive

Nan, I have emailed the ACLU and legal Aid, I am just looking for anyone that can help me. I do have support from my family, but it is hard for them to accept. My husband would rather not deal with it, he says it is his life and his decision. But my son does have a mental illnes, which people just ignore lots of times. I have two other children, my daughter is 31, and is a 4th grade teacher. She was always an A student, never got in trouble, but she has a daughter and is very busy with her life, she writes to my son in jail, but does not have much time to do much else. I have another son who is 22, he works for the railroad, makes good money, has never gotten in trouble, but he has seen to much from my other son, so they both are a little negative with my son in jail, they love him, but never go see him, So, I really am the only positive one for my son right now, that is why it is so hard to stand back. but I shall try, I will write him a letter, that is a good suggestion. I run a small daycare, wish I take care of my granddaughter, she is 4 and i have had her since 6 weeks, so during the week it keep my mind off my son a little, but I never totally every stop thinking about him. Keepingpositive