Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #51
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Miss M, sorry you're having such a hard time finding the generic. Have you tried any small 'mom & pop' type pharmacies also? Who is giving you that information about the backorder and discontinued?

You might think about calling Roxane, the manufacturer and see what they have to say: 1-800-962-8364

Hopefully with Teva now with an approval, it will be easier.

Let us know what you find out.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #52
stp747

Miss M, I am in N. CA. and I called Target and they said they could order the generic Subutex for me. They said it would take about a day.
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #53
toms

Thanks Nancy! Most of these "rules" problems sometimes seem to stem from state vs Federal "rules". Especially while on methadone; each time the administration changed the rules changed.

My belief has always been that: state "rules" cannot be less stringent than Federal; but they can add their own garbage "on top". Am I wrong?

Here's an example of extreme idiocy: when I started methadone (1998) Missouri had a "rule" that a doc had to constantly "justify" a dose> 100mg/day. I quickly went above that having to "prove" the dose was too low by repeated peak and trough tests (a royal pain in the ass when required to return to the clinic four hours after dosing when you live out of town)!

Here's the real nuttiness: I planned a trip to visit family in SC. In order to "approve" the carry doses; the clinic had to purchase a stack of postcards; pre-stamped; and I had to drop one in the mail each day to "prove" I was where I was supposed to be! My question: wtf is this? Does it really matter if I was in Clemson SC or Timbuktu?

Yet in order to receive treatment; we must submit to treatment worse than that received by parolees. In mid-state MO there is ONE methadone clinic; and 4-5 suboxone docs. Most of the sub docs are child psychiatrists; so switching is not an option.

When booted from methadone (sans detox); I was able to find ONE suboxone doc within 100miles. I waited over a year to get hooked up with my current doc doing so just prior to the previous one losing her license for: "rules violations"!

Excuse my French; but the few of us who seek treatment in this neck of the woods; are SOL....unless we jump through hoops. Its friggin' insane!
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #54
MissM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp747 View Post
Miss M, I am in N. CA. and I called Target and they said they could order the generic Subutex for me. They said it would take about a day.

Thank you, great to know. I will try Target, if WalMart has any problems. A friend of mine just filled a generic subutex prescription at WalMart a couple days ago, so I had mine transferred there. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

And thanks Nancy for the number to Roxane, I will most definitely call them and see if they have an answer if I run into availability issues again Great to have you guys here!
MissM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #55
MissM

Doesn't look like there are problems right now, Wal Mart right near me already had it in stock! I was thrilled, so I got to transfer it from the pharmacy that was almost 2 hours away. Very happy we won't have to spend $20 in gas and almost $10 in bridge toll any longer, well at least for now!
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #56
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Miss M, great news!! Thanks for letting us know. I hope they keep it in stock for you. Do you mind my asking how much it cost at Walmart?

Thanks!
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #57
MissM

Hi, don't mind at all Nancy, they were $57 for 15 count of the 8mg generics. I think it came out to about $3.70 each when I calculated it. Best price so far for me without discounts, Walgreens comes out to about the same, WITH their $20 annual discount card. I'm just hoping now they STAY in stock at Wal Mart. That would be a huge help, no more long drives and huge hassles!
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #58
NancyB
Administrator

Thanks Miss M, that's great! Have you checked out the prescription discount card thread to see if you can use it at Walmart?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

For the http://www.freedrugcard.us one, I plugged in my zip code and a few Walmarts came up. Maybe you can save some more with one of the free cards.

Nancy
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #59
MissM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Thanks Miss M, that's great! Have you checked out the prescription discount card thread to see if you can use it at Walmart?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

For the http://www.freedrugcard.us one, I plugged in my zip code and a few Walmarts came up. Maybe you can save some more with one of the free cards.

Nancy
Thank you so much Nancy! That's wonderful, I'll check those both out and see if either or will work at Wal Mart Saving more would be even better!
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #60
Mel55

Default Inexpensive generic subutex

I live in Florida. The least expensive generic Subutex I have found is at Sam's Club. You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. The price is $178.68 for sixty 8mg pills (about $2.98 each). The first order took a week or so to get in -- but then no problem thereafter maintaining stock. Not all Sam's Clubs have pharmacies, so you might need to check around. Also read that Costco is a good place to try, though we don't have a Costco here so I can't speak to it personally.
Mel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #61
MissM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel55 View Post
I live in Florida. The least expensive generic Subutex I have found is at Sam's Club. You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. The price is $178.68 for sixty 8mg pills (about $2.98 each). The first order took a week or so to get in -- but then no problem thereafter maintaining stock. Not all Sam's Clubs have pharmacies, so you might need to check around. Also read that Costco is a good place to try, though we don't have a Costco here so I can't speak to it personally.

That is GREAT advice, thanks! I actually have a Costco card and never thought about checking their pharmacy! LOL! Appreciate it, seems like Sam's is much cheaper than even Wal Mart, so maybe Costco is too!
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #62
merhbass

Default Generic Subutex quandry ...again

Hi all,
My new physician just prescribed Subutex for a couple reasons: it will save me huge money if I get it in the generic form. Secondly after he reviewed/considered my history, approach, behavior and mental state, he saw no earthly reason to indicate I'm a risk with it for abuse with it. He immediately switched me from the more expensive Suboxone. After almost three years and thousands of dollars, this is a huge help!

However, my mega-24Hr-Walgreen's (where I'm a "regular" & have my XpressPay account) informed me that they cannot get the generic version but only Subutex or Suboxone. Same with the nearest other Walgreen's here in my metro area.

I phoned six other Walgreen's -same state, different cities to scope it out. Five out of six of them have the generic IN STOCK now. Same state, same company, same 24hr-type Walgreen's. Even some other big-box pharmacies in my city carry it so I wondered what is up with these regional Walgreen's? I'm in the largest Metro area in the state...

So I put in a thorough inquiry to the head Pharmacy Manager at Walgreen's Corporate Headquarters - Pharmacy Division to ask for an explanation or solution. If they get back to me, I'll report my findings here as to help any others with this matter/mystery. The regular Subutex is still a significant savings over Suboxone by almost half, but it could be far better in these tight times!

Mbass
merhbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #63
MissSurvivor

That's really odd. I know the Walgreen's right by my house (not even 24hrs) never carries Suboxone/Subutex. I always went to the one by my work anyway that's right down the street and 24hrs. I'm glad you found ones that carry it though
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #64
merhbass

Hi MissSurvivor,

Thanks for reading and replying! Yeah, its not like its unavailable to all pharmacies. But this may boil down to bad pharmacy staff communications or bad management ...at least I hope so. I'm not in a pinch or anything as I've already picked up my new prescription at the slightly higher price, but thought this was odd that in the immediate area, the Walgreen's state one policy while others say the exact opposite. Obviously any generic drug is easily available to any and it is a choice somewhere - the immediate pharmacy counter, management, HQ or whatever.

Albeit a relatively minor hitch, it is one more lame roadblock and if I can figure it out or break a stigma, all the better. I'll let ya'll know what happens communicating (if they get back to me) with Walgreen's corporate staff.

Thanks for replying and all my best,
Mbass
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #65
NancyB
Administrator

Hi merhbass, who did you speak with when you called the individual pharmacies? If you don't receive an answer from corporate, then think about asking for either the pharmacy manager or the store manager and see what they have to say.

Let us know what you find out.

Nancy
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #66
toms

Hopefully the supply issues are being ironed out. I use a pharmacy in another town, so I have to plan ahead to be there. Last month I had a hard time with backordered drugs and had to receive two partial amounts via mail (the last one smashed up). They told me to call well-ahead for a refill, which I did last Monday. Now they say they have it and foresee no more hassles.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #67
merhbass

Hi All (NancyB, MissSurvivor et al

I just wanted to chime in that I did speak with Walgreen's corporate level pharmacy manager and two days later, my corner 24-hr Walgreen's store had the generic Subutex ready to go for me.

No good explanations from them but I'm not complaining. The $4.18/per unit seems a bit high compared to others I've heard, but not by much; and it SURE beats the $8+ Suboxone cash price.

I guess I just needed to make a bit-of-a "stink" at the right level to kick my local store in the pants. They even gave me a follow-up call to ensure my problem was resolved.

All my best,
Merhbass
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #68
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Merhbass, great news! Maybe think about calling other pharmacies to do a cost comparison. If there's a significant different, you could present that to the Corporate Pharmacy Manage and see what they can do about it. There are now two companies making the generic -tex - maybe one has a lower price point than the other. In my opinion, won't hurt to try.

In any event, good to hear that you got it resolved.

Nancy
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #69
toms

Shopping around is always a good practice. While I haven't done that with subutex, I have with other medications and was quite surprised at the variation in pricing. Of course if you aren't near a metro area you won't have as many pharmacies, but even in my area a 10-20% price spread isn't uncommon.
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #70
k3pain

Wink Genereic Suutex

i just recently recieved my order of generic subutex, could not get it through a pharmacy, there was always a problem, so i sent it in on mail order through Caremark and I got my 90 day script of 300 8mg for $20. I took awhile to get used to the taste, like crushed tyenol, but i get the same effect, too soon to see if the missing naloxotene still messes up my stomach, but that could be something else. I was also pleasantly suprised that Caremark contacted my doctor and added another 90 day refill. Thats swithching from 6 months of suboxone at $100 for 100 to 6 months at $40,with no doctors visits between to add on, so Im pretty happy. Large Mail order pharmacies are probably the easiest way to go if you can wait, and get a 30 day supply to fill of suboxone to wait.
k3pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #71
NancyB
Administrator

Looks like another company will be making generic Subutex:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/p...s-1191855.html

Nancy
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #72
MaJaBe

Do you think anyone will ever make the generic subutex strips? I asked before, and I was told it wasn't likely, but I thought maybe since another company is making the tabs.....who knows?
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote