Addiction Survivors

Unread 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
tarae25

Default Blood test and Suboxone

Hi Guys,

I have saw so many posts that say suboxone won't be detected on employers standard urine drug screens, but I have to go for a blood test for rehabilitation.

Do they still have to test for buprenorphine specifically, or will it detect it? I've been doing so good and getting my life back on track, and am so afraid of losing this chance because of this.

Please let me know if it will be detected on a blood test drug screen!

thanks!
tarae25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi tarae25, as far as I know, there still needs to be a separate blood test to detect buprenorphine.

This is from naabt.org's FAQ section:
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#78
Does buprenorphine show up in an employer drug screening?
Buprenorphine has to be specifically tested for and isn’t commonly included on standard drug screen panels. Buprenorphine will NOT cause a positive result on tests for other opiates. The typical urine tests used to detect methadone, oxycodone, heroin, and other opioids check for a different metabolite than that found with buprenorphine and will not show a positive result in buprenorphine (only) maintained patients.
There are in-office tests specifically for buprenorphine that will detect it. These tests are not common but can be purchased on the internet, however we know of none that are CLIA-waved.
When reading in-office dip-strip tests be aware that faint lines are not ‘false positives” see this image of how to read this type of test correctly, and follow the manufacturer instructions: Reading test results
A typical employer multi drug screen might consist of a test for Amphetamine (AMP); Barbiturates (BAR)(Phenobarbital, Secobarbitol, Butalbital); Benzodiazepines(BZO)(Valium, Xanax, Librium, Serax, Rohypnol); Cocaine (COC); Marijuana (THC); Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)(Ecstasy); Opiates (OPI); Oxycodone (OXY); Phencyclidine (PCP); Propoxyphene (PPX)(Darvon compounds); and Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCA)
Employers that expand their tests might include some of the following: Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin), Methaqualone (Quaaludes), Methadone, Ethanol (Alcohol)
It is very unusual for an employer to test for buprenorphine, at least for now.

I hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-10-2009)
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
tarae25

Thanks so much Nancy. I go tomorrow and I will let everyone know what happens.
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Alaska

Hi Remember something as you think about this UA. You are taking a prescribed medication from a licensed physician. Not some pill or other drug that you are using illegally. Even if they run Bupe and find it they are probably violating your rights if they attempt to harass or discriminate against you. If they in fact do that, I would ask to see their drug and alcohol policy and most organizations have them so they can cover their ass. I will probably say that you can only be disciplined up to and including termination for the abuse of drugs, legal or illegal. They cannot practice medicine without a license and I do not believe they want a civil rights lawsuit because it tends to limit their ability to do business in some arenas. I do not think you have anything to worry about. I have been doing UA's for years and have made it a policy to understand everything about them and what they can test for and can't. Usually if they do the stick tests they must do a lab gas chrome to back it up if they intend to use it in a legal proceeding. There are way to many variables that can effect them. Most places will do a 5 or a 9 panel screen. I known none of them that check for Bupe. It is to new and still somewhat unknown and the vast majority of people would rather be slamming H or OC or 10hydro. People need to become a voice of solidarity in these matters because we are taking a med just like a diabetic or someone with hypertension. Do you know that blood pressure medication can make you dizzy and weak, yet no one is being restricted because of it in the work place. I was on Methadone for 20 years and I never once had anyone that I worked with that suspected I was taking a massive dose of one of the strongest long acting Opioid drugs available. I never had a safety issue or an attendance problem. You just do want you must and do not worry about it. I know you will be okay and you will be happy that you are in recovery and not having to worry about sneaking around and trying to avoid the old pee cup. Good Luck Brett
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
tarae25

well, I went today for my drug screen and I didn't get a blood test. It was the urine test and I passed with flying colors! I just wanted to let everyone know.

thanks for the information, Brett. I agree!
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi tarae25, great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Congratulations!
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
maillady

How can we get into trouble at all if this is legally prescribed by a licenced Dr.?? How could it be wrong ? What is everyone talking about? Its confusing...I know if we obtained it illegally on the street somewhere just for recreation it would be wrong but going to a dr and he writing a legal prescription..?? and another question I read on here somewhere that its very unhealthy??? to be on this site very much...How could that be bad either?? It helps me to keep up with all the questions and answers..Things I need to know..Help....maillady
maillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi maillady, someone could get into trouble if they're not supposed to be on Suboxone for their job - if it's specifically stated as such, or as someone else has posted, during their parole.

As for being on this or any other internet site, it's only unhealthy if it interferes with your recovery. Everyone is different and some people can get carried away and neglect other things in their lives by being in front of the computer all of the time.

Just do what's best for you.

Hope that helps!
Nancy