Thread: Smoking and Sub
View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Dgian920

Hi Lala! It is not just you!!! It is definatly the sub's that cause increased smoking and feeling like you can not stop. I used to smoke about a half a pack a day and now since I have been taking Subutex I am up to 2 packs a day. The smoking has caused so much fighting between me and my fiance since he does not smoke. So I did a little research online as to why I have these cravings and found some interesting articles. Smoking triggers the same receptors that opiods trigger. So when we are taking pills (anything from percocet to Sub's) we are stimulating our opiate receptors which in turn crave more stimulation so we smoke which satisfies the receptors for a short while. When we smoke the receptors release dopamine (causing pleasurable sensation) which is what all addicts crave. So its not just you and its not just in your head. It is the opiate receptors in your brain craving more stimulation which is a very powerful thing. Also, 3 or 4 cigs a day will not harm your baby. I smoked about 2 a day through out my whole preganancy (I tried to stop but it was sooooo hard) and my baby was a 9lb pound full term healthy boy who is now almost 3 yrs old and has not been sick EVER (besides a runny nose now and then). Best of luck!