View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #64
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Hi Frank,
Good to hear from you.One thing that struck me was when you said you had not hit bottom, some may say: why on earth wait ? I understand when you say, you are waiting for something to "click"or go Kaboom, but,
I am fresh outta dynamite ; )

All kidding aside, this is a serious disease, it could be possible that your journey is a gradual understanding and acceptance of recovery ? Maybe ?

You have posted that you are aware of the effects of alcohol on the body, but i have not heard you speak much about how you feel, are you happy, content , at peace?

I ask because when I hit bottom, I felt like I was peering over the abyss, terrified I would be swallowed up by the sheer darkness that had invaded my heart. That was my main motivation to seek help, more emotional than physical, ( after my relapse).
With work, I was able to feel good feelings again.

Does any of this ring true for you ?
Or are you more concerned that when you do drink, it wreaks havoc on your body, takes days to get over the effects ?
I am just posing these questions in hopes of finding out what you are thinking/feeling.

I do agree with you, some of the best advice/feedback I have ever had was not from therapists/doctors, but rather someone in the rooms and it was free ! I know I complicated the heck out of recovery when I was first exposed to all things recovery.

About the G-O-D issue, I respect what you believe,do not believe, it is a dicey subject.
As Rlee posted there are many people who find a way to make it work - if that is what you wanted to pursue.
Kudos to you for being honest and continuing to seek answers, don't give up - please !

Take care, Carly : )
Carly,

I see I never answered your questions, so I will try to, although you might not come back to this thread again. First, for me it's hard to figure out the reasons why I drink. I'm thinking it's probably like most every one else in that I drink to escape bad feelings, the past, angziety etc.

I guess I have a very hard head, as i'm not aware of most of these things most of the times before I drink, and even though sometimes I recognize a trigger, I would drink anyway, and not give it another thought.

As far as being happy, i'm not. I'm always thinking things like "when I get this or or that, then I will be happy". My head is always in the future, that I can't be happy in the now. Remember when we were kids, and everything was in the now? Those were the days, and we didn't know it.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote